After much research regarding the topic of an UW tripod, I built (or as someone else said 'cobbled') together an UW tripod using the L&M tripod adapter (for the HC3) and ULCS tripod adapter and arms. My goal was a very short tripod that I could use to position the camera in front of a possible subject, and then leave the camera in place as I swam away ~20 feet. My initial reasoning for this was the Cozumel Jaw Fish; I was trying to capture the Jaw Fish out of the protective hole they build. Regardless of what I did, my regulator was too much noise and I was never able to get footage. I am proud to say the tripod worked beautifully for this purpose.

However, as the subject of this thread states, this is not about tripods. If you have ever dove in Cozumel you know that there is ALWAYS a current and closer to shore a pretty strong surge. I stay in a place that allows 'shore' diving but the surge was consistently 3-5 feet regardless of day, time, etc. I was trying to get some footage of a seahorse, but I found the surge to be too strong for any useable footage. This was a sandy bottom and even dumping my BC and laying on the bottom did not do the trick. After a few unsuccessful attempts, it dawned on me that I could add an additional arm to my current lighting arms and use it as a monopod. So, picture the L&M housings using ULCS arms for lights; where the lights attach to the housing I used the tripod adapter to attach an 8 inch ULCS arm in addition to the standard arm I used for my lights. For my rig, an 8 inch arm pointed downwards hangs below the housing about 3-4 inches. I was able to use this as a monopod to get the footage I desired. I was able to dig the monopod in the sandy bottom and use it as a pivot. Granted this would not work for standard reef shots, as you would not want to damage the reef, but I found it very useable.

Does anyone else use a monopod or something similar?

Ryan

sounds like you found a good way to solve a problem!

I dont think anybody els has done something like that but good job!

I was just trying to share. Actually shawnh motivated me; in an unrelated thread he mentioned that there is too much housing chatter and not enough technique posts, which I agree with. i have attached a picture for better explanation. You could always use a longer arm or clamp on another length.

post-7799-1183056751_thumb.jpg

Quite innovative. Headed to Bali this Tuesday and will see if I can rig up something like that to try. Great idea

Steve B)

Sponsors

Advertisements