peterbkk

First Dives with Uwatec's Galileo Sol

Finally had a few minutes to play with creating maps. To be legible, here is what I have found:

1.) Lines need to be 2 points or thicker to appear on the computer. Hairline widths do not work.

2.) Font size needs to be about 24 point to be legible when it is compressed and transferred to the Galileo.

3.) If anyone is interested, I have a template for drawing maps/info that matches the size of the Galileo "screen." You create maps/headings/directions inside the rectangle.

This is definitely not a high definition charting function, but I have found it useful for general headings and locations. My "science project" has been the grid for a local underwater park in Edmonds, Washington.

Switching topics, how do other Galileo owners transport their units? The case it came in is fairly bulky, and I am looking for something smaller for overseas trips. I am not sure I could get through the new and improved US Homeland Security procedures wearing it on my wrist.

Cheers,

Dan

Finally had a few minutes to play with creating maps. To be legible, here is what I have found:

1.) Lines need to be 2 points or thicker to appear on the computer. Hairline widths do not work.

2.) Font size needs to be about 24 point to be legible when it is compressed and transferred to the Galileo.

3.) If anyone is interested, I have a template for drawing maps/info that matches the size of the Galileo "screen." You create maps/headings/directions inside the rectangle.

This is definitely not a high definition charting function, but I have found it useful for general headings and locations. My "science project" has been the grid for a local underwater park in Edmonds, Washington.

Switching topics, how do other Galileo owners transport their units? The case it came in is fairly bulky, and I am looking for something smaller for overseas trips. I am not sure I could get through the new and improved US Homeland Security procedures wearing it on my wrist.

Cheers,

Dan

Yes, my experiece with the map function is similar. Useful for a couple of high level directions (eg a compass heading from one place to another) but can't include a lot of detail.

I have travelled a lot with my Galileo Sol. It's case is attractive but bulky. Here is what I do:

- Leave the transmitter attached to the first stage (deep in the center of dive bag among neoprene)

- Heart monitor in the side bag of the dive bag (where I keep dry stuff like my hat)

- Computer in a ziplock plastic bag in one corner of my carry-on bag (with my video housing).

The computer is quite tough, apart from the plastic protection screen, which is prone to scratching. The ziplock bag os sufficient to prevent it from scratching inside my carry-on bag.

By the way, has anyone found a place to buy replacement plastic protection screens for the Sol? I have managed to scratch mine twice, scrambling up a diveboat ladder in rough seas and wriggling through narrow gaps in a shipwreck.

Regards

Peter

Edited by peterbkk

I'm up to 80 dives with mine since late last year. Just upgraded the firmware to 1.4 so hopefully by the 19th of March when I hit YAP I'll see how it performs with the deep stops.

One thing I did notice was the battery indicator shows one bar less than full if I haven't had it in the water for a few weeks. Once wet though it goes back to fully charged....weird, but then again my stinger used to do exactly the same??

As for the dive site maps I never had the patience to complete even one drawing.

Hi Peter:

I am not certain, but you should be able to get a replacement plastic cover from your UWATEC dealer. I scratched the cover on my Smart Tec several times, and was able to order replacements from my local dealer (Underwater Sports Seattle, uws@underwatersports.com, +011.206.362.3310). If you can't find a replacement through your local dealer, you might give them a call.

Thanks for the travel packing info. Will try your technique next month when we take off on our next diving trip.

Cheers,

Dan

Now for those that are interested my Galileo Sol died during my 82 nd dive with it. On the morning of the 20th March I had my first dive since January 26th and after checking my surface interval time (59 mins) I turned the display off and got ready to enter the water again.

When I entered the water the computer refused to start and would accept no commands from any buttons. Fortunately I always use a spare computer so I continued the dive anyhow.

I washed the Galileo when I returned to the hotel and left it for 12 hours to dry at which time it still would not work. Finally I removed the battery and cleaned the terminals and now after another 44 dives it is still working again although my confidence was a bit shaken. I emailed Uwatec about this but as of now they have not reponded to me.

As for the PDIS stops they seemed to work fine although they sometime wanted you to repeat several stops at the same depth if you happened to multilevel up and down a lot.

Cheers.

Any Mac users with the Galilee? Their smart track software didn't work. Scubapro put me in touch with their tech guy. About the fourth version of the software worked (the others didn't recognize the Galilee, just older model Uwatec computers) If your wondering version 1.8 is the one that worked.

Thing is it records dive time as universal standard time. Both the computer and my Mac software are set to CA time but the time in the downloaded dives still matches the Universal time and date.

The PDIS works great. A real comfort when you are doing repeated deep dives in remote parts of the world.

I love the computer though I'm not sure any computer is worth that much money.

Hi Pig004:

If you find out what happened, would it be possible to post what caused the issue?

Thanks,

Dan

Any Mac users with the Galilee? Their smart track software didn't work. Scubapro put me in touch with their tech guy. About the fourth version of the software worked (the others didn't recognize the Galilee, just older model Uwatec computers) If your wondering version 1.8 is the one that worked.

Thing is it records dive time as universal standard time. Both the computer and my Mac software are set to CA time but the time in the downloaded dives still matches the Universal time and date.

You must be talking about JTrak, not SmartTrak. SmartTrak, developed by ScubaPro/Uwatec, is Windows only and comes on the install disk included with the dive computer. It is already at version 2.x It works well with the Galileo Sol, both downloading dive logs and uploading changes to the Galileo's settings and personalisation.

JTrak is developed by an a third party. It sort of works but not very well. That time zone problem is just one of the issues.

I gave up on JTrak and am running SmartTrak under Bootcamp, wasting 5Gb of disk on my MacBook Pro.

Hopefully MacDiveLog will come to our rescue soon...

Regards

Peter

Hi Pig004:

If you find out what happened, would it be possible to post what caused the issue?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan from what I can gather it was simply an issue with the battery terminals. I guess because the computer sat for 2 months without moving something must have built up on the terminals?

Anyhow when I removed the battery and cleaned the terminals it seemed to work fine again. I also inspected for any flooding of the battery compartment but found none. I checked the battery cover alingment and did find that the 2 dots were not in line as per the manufacturers recommendation so possibly there was insufficent tension on the battery spring. I assume this was the problem as the hour running count went from 300 hours to 0 when I replaced the battery.

Like I said it has worked for 42 dives now without a problem.

I don't expect anything from Uwatec about it as I'm sure they probably don't have clue although a response would have been nice.

Thanks for the added information. I have not checked the battery cover alignment since I purchased my Sol: will do this evening when I get home.

Thanks Again,

Dan

To Walt (if you are monitoring this thread),

I can not send a private message to you. The system says your mail box is turned off or full.

Regards

Peter

Hey, thanks Peter for giving me a heads up on that. Don't know whats up with my PM feature on this site.

You can send a PM to me at wstearns@uwjournal.com

I would like to here from you on the Galileo Sol.

Walt Stearns

Editor-in-Chief

Underwaterjournal

Now for those that are interested I have logged about 225 dives on my Galileo sol since I bought it last year. Now the instruction book mentions the tranmitter battery should last about 150 to 200 dives and then there will be a warning on the computer to change the battery on T1?

I have not recieved any warning about the tranmitter battery getting low. I assume it is as the tank pressure stopped showing full (200 bar) but instead started to decrease by about 5 bar over the past 20 or so dives. Currently now a full tank only shows 95 bar or so. However when the pressure gets to 50 bar it matches once again with my SPG.

Anyone have a the same experience as I'm assuming this is the problem. I guess I'll know for sure when I change the battery??

No experience like that. It doesn't sound like a battery issue to me. More like a sensor issue. Of course you can test it by changing your battery.

Except for the time zone issue Jtrack works fine. Not nearly sophisticated as the Divetrack software. I have the divetrack software on bootcamp. I consider it a waste of time and space on a trip. Jtrack is fine for those.

I transport the unit by just putting it in my carryon or carryon camera bag.

Oh crap I hope its not the sensor.......

Why don't you e-mail ScubaPro's tech department. I had a Smart Tec that started to occasionally not give me a psi reading while on a month long dive trip. ScubaPro walked me through the problem and FedExed me overnight a new battery for the tank unit when I stopped in Hawaii. The Galileo and Smart Tec share the same transmitter, I now have a Galileo and keep the Smart Tec as a backup.

Oh crap I hope its not the sensor.......

Doesn't sound like it would be the battery. If the battery was too low, it would not transmit any signal. I can not imagine it would transmit an incorrect tank pressure. IMHO, either a faulty tank transmitter or a faulty dive computer.

Last year, I did have a problem with the tank transmission to my Sol. I tried 2 different tank transmitters to prove the problem was in the computer not the tank transmitter. Would only pick up the tank signal if the computer was almost touching the tank transmitter. I spent a few dives in Yap putting my hand behind my head every few minutes to get a tank pressure reading - must have looked a bit weird...

Uwatec just swapped the Sol for a new one. No hassles, just had to use an SPG for a couple of weeks. Uwatec said it was a cracked antenna inside the computer, an issue that might occur with some of the first batch they made.

Regards

Peter

Cheers guys I'll keep you all posted.

I just got one of these and I have to say I really like it. I don't normally like complicated/sophisticated dive gear, but what I like about this computer is that it is so easy to use. Plus the weight saving of not having a contents gauge.

Alex

I just got one of these and I have to say I really like it. I don't normally like complicated/sophisticated dive gear, but what I like about this computer is that it is so easy to use. Plus the weight saving of not having a contents gauge.

Alex

After 18 months of extensive use, I am still very happy with my Galileo Sol. Wouldn't like to dive without it. The key feature for me has been that you can see all the necessary data at one glance, without even taking your hand off the camera controls.

For example, yesterday I was videoing a large jellyfish with its attendant school of small fish. It was moving up and down through the water column, around 5 meters deep. I was at the end of a long dive, my tank pressure was quite low and I needed to stay within a depth band of 3 to 6 meters to complete my safety stop. But I wanted to video the jellyfish. With the Galileo Sol I was able to keep shooting, with both hands on the video housing, while watching remaining tank pressure, depth and time left to complete the safety stop. Not many other computers would have allowed me to do that...

Regards

Peter

After 18 months of extensive use, I am still very happy with my Galileo Sol. Wouldn't like to dive without it. The key feature for me has been that you can see all the necessary data at one glance, without even taking your hand off the camera controls.

<snip>

Regards

Peter

I've got the non-air integrated version - the Terra. I've had it since June, and 80 dives later: I LOVE it. The big display, the digital compass, combined with the fact it has REAL BUTTONS rather than the electrical contacts of the previous Uwatec's all make it a great upgrade.

Great computer, highly recommended.

Robert

I too am very please with the Galileo Sol after 18 months. During the first week of diving with it I experienced some erratic pressure readings. E-mailed ScubaPro and they sent me a new battery for the sending unit. After changing the battery the unit has worked flawlessly ever since. The push buttons are great and a big improvement from the contact terminals on the preceding Smart series. Also really like the feature where I know my buddy's PSI and of course the compass that works at any angle.

Elmer

I still haven't got my transmitter fixed yet as I've been too busy....maybe next month!

Currently I have about 300 dives on the computer over the past 15 months. My battery indicator has gone down by 1 bar in that time.

Edited by PIG004

Hi!

Good news to all Uwatec Galileo users: The next release of TravelTrakCE (Windows mobile based version) is on the way. It will be available in early January and support all Galileo models.

I use my Galileo since February 2007 under various (even extreme) conditions. I love it because it is absolutely great for photographers. Especially when you switch to the large display mode. Just the really important information but in large, friendly letters.

Helge ;-)=)

Guys the battery has finally finished 326 dives or 326 hours later. I'm a bit dissappointed as I expected 500 dives at least from it. I guess it was used as the display model in the shop with everyone playing around with it as it had about 180 hours 'ontime' when I recieved it.

Otherwise I still like it and like you say its great for photographers.

Edited by PIG004

Sponsors

Advertisements