peterbkk

First Dives with Uwatec's Galileo Sol

I left the duct tape on mine...it gets raised eye brows but looks cool.

Just lost one bar on my 4th battery at 897 dives most likely need changed within the month.

This afternoon I used some Araldite (epoxy resin glue) to stick the face plate back on. Looks OK again but we'll see how the glue holds up in seawater.

Hundreds of dives later, I still reckon the Galileo Sol is the best dive computer, especially for UW photographers who need a quick one-glance look at all their vital stats.

Regards

Peter

My strap fell off the other day and I had to search for about 5 minutes to find the computer! Luckily it was shallow - would have been a pain on a deep wall!

Alex

My strap fell off the other day and I had to search for about 5 minutes to find the computer! Luckily it was shallow - would have been a pain on a deep wall!

Alex

Alex I'm sure that gave you a heart attack! My strap was actually pretty brittle. I could break it just by folding it in half. I'm wondering if this is a batch problem as someone mentioned earlier, or it's common.

Alex

Yeah I was worried about that also so I've looped a CANON p&s wrist strap through the battery compartment on the top and that goes around my wrist also, although I've never had an issue of it even remotely coming off.

Peterbkk you're right I love this computer and it has 3 gas modes also for tech diving which is a nice back up to for the dive plan.

Unfortunatley an old problem has returned. In 2009 I sent the transmitter back as it stopped reading an accurate tank pressure. The replacement transmitter now won't read a full tank. It shows 180 bar and is once again dropping about 5 bar every 6 - 10 dives. Looks like I'll need a another replacement.

I got about 530 dives out of this one but if I have to replace the transmitter every 2 years I won't be a happy bunny although warranty did cover it.

Currently about 930 dives and my 4th battery is now down 2 bars and needs replaced. 1 Battery then = approx 232 x 60 min dives. Not quiet what they advertised.

Uemis went under some time ago. A victim of the increasing value of the Swiss Franc. Scubapro/Uwatec moved production to Indonesia and had a bad batch of straps, now replaced.

Edited by John Bantin

Dive 150 now, and I've just had my second strap break on me. Anyone else has this problem?

The funny thing is the straps break where there is no stress. This time, the excess length of the strap broke for no reason. I didn't get it caught on anything. After a couple of dives on a recent trip, I found that the strap had broken about halfway down the width. It's that part where you tuck the excess length into the back of the dive computer.

yup.. my strap broke on one end at 200 dives and is now half broken on the buckle side at 220 dives... antacid can u show detailed way how u weave the threading/braid?

also I have a small wrist how do i securely sit it on my arm cos even at the last two buckles it keeps sliding off and dangles at the wrist

The transmitter is showing 30 extra bars since 160 dives!!

How do I recalibrate it ? Anyone can advise? I email UWATEC but had no answers

Edited by meimei

yup.. my strap broke on one end at 200 dives and is now half broken on the buckle side at 220 dives... antacid can u show detailed way how u weave the threading/braid?

also I have a small wrist how do i securely sit it on my arm cos even at the last two buckles it keeps sliding off and dangles at the wrist

I'm on my 3rd strap in 3 years.. and I've gotten quite paranoid, so I've threaded the strap with braided fishing line. This way, if the strap breaks it'll still stay on my wrist. I'll post pictures of how it looks like when I get home.

And I just had another amazing encounter with the Sol... at the end of the dive as I was climbing up onto the boat, I checked the dive computer and everything was fine. I took off the BCD, put my hand on the ladder and found that my Sol was all black. The silver faceplate and plastic screen protector had fallen off! Anyway, the Sol now looks more compact and cool without the faceplate, except it now has 4 ugly white patches in the corner which must have been the sticky tape holding the faceplate in place. :)

I'm on my 3rd strap in 3 years.. and I've gotten quite paranoid, so I've threaded the strap with braided fishing line. This way, if the strap breaks it'll still stay on my wrist. I'll post pictures of how it looks like when I get home.

And I just had another amazing encounter with the Sol... at the end of the dive as I was climbing up onto the boat, I checked the dive computer and everything was fine. I took off the BCD, put my hand on the ladder and found that my Sol was all black. The silver faceplate and plastic screen protector had fallen off! Anyway, the Sol now looks more compact and cool without the faceplate, except it now has 4 ugly white patches in the corner which must have been the sticky tape holding the faceplate in place. :)

After several years and hundreds of dives, no problems with the strap.

But, the silver faceplate did fall off last year. If you like the black look, the white patches of old rubber glue easily scrape off. Or a bit of epoxy resin glue will fix the faceplate securely back on to the computer.

Regards

Peter

antacid

great thanks... I did see the other 2 photos u posted sometime back... but cant see the detailed weaving 'path'

my partner's face plate dropped off some time back too... but stuck it back w superglue

also if u do safety stop w a friend who is also using a heart rate monitor the reading goes bonkers..

I just had a 195bpm reading!!

peterbkk

I cannot believe it.. u must be v lucky to get a ultimate strap...

do u wear your galileo loose? and on wrist or further up your arm?

what is your secret?

anyone have a solution to calibrate the transmitter??

Edited by meimei

New forum member with a new Galileo Sol here, with a few questions.

My unit talks with my PC using the UWATEC IRDA dongle, but the Firmware V1.6 updater crashes. In SmartTrak 2.0703, the Options:Galileo Setup menu opens Galileo Setup 1.043. When I use the software tab to try and load the V1.6 firmware, the application goes "not responding" and no progress bars appear on the Sol. In fact, the Sol locks up and require a battery cap loosen/tighten to reboot it. I have tried the firmware update with fast/slow IRDA on PCs running WinXP, Vista, Win7(32) and Win7(64) and get the same failure. Anyone have any success?

How about that breathing sensitivity? It has a sliding scale but no advice on why one would set it high, low or medium.

Thanks for the help!

How about that breathing sensitivity? It has a sliding scale but no advice on why one would set it high, low or medium.

Can't help on the PC interface. That's never been a strength of Uwatec. The Windows software is lousy and the Mac software is abysmal. I use the Sol during diving but also wear a Suunto for logging the dives.

On the breathing sensitivity, it is a case of trial and error. Keep adjusting it down until it only warns you when you really are working hard and breathing fast.

Regards

Peter

My strap still looks like new even with all the duct tape holding the face on!

Your (transmitter) pressure transducer is out of span. It is not possible to span it yourself. My 2nd transducer (transmitter) now has the exact same fault as my first one. I too have not had a response from scubapro although its only been a week since I emailed them?

Bought myself an OSTC 2N as my new primary computer now anyhow........I so love it, especially since its fully programmable with a super clear OLED screen!

Ah, so my vendor (Beaver Divers - great service and prices for full warranty internet ScubaPro sales) had a chat with the ScubaPro technical people, who said V1.6 is for the Luna but not the Sol. Not what you would gather from looking at the website.

But I just noticed the beta release of the Trimix upgrade by application on the US website.

Sol round tripped to HK again. New transmitter!

Great job scubapro/Uwatec!

I absolutely *love* the Galileo Sol. I have logged 80 dives on it over the past few years and have had no major issues, and I am just getting into underwater photography now (upgraded from Canon G7 to 7D and Nauticam housing, etc. recently!).

However, 2 minor drawbacks are:

1) It beeps all the time because the wireless pressure signal goes in and out, in and out, in and out... this would make me want to still have a analog pressure gauge because at times you'd be without knowing how much air you had for up to 1 min.

2) Make sure you read the manual ahead of time and know it and out when you dive. I had to place a 20 min phone call from a satellite phone to trouble shoot it and figure out how to get it to sync up when I first used it. I had skimmed the manual and tested it in a pool beforehand, but still... I forget exactly what the problem was but I remember I found it extremely obnoxious.

A third (almost) drawback is that the compass does not last long on its own before you have to punch the button to make it appear again, so you might want to consider getting a small manual compass attached to the analog pressure gauge as a backup on your BC.

I've just made my second battery change. Bought the Luna in mid-December 2010, details of use since then:

Total Time: 536 h

No. if Dives: 491

Power on (before changing battery) : 638h

So I get around 250 long dives off it, which is just OK. My old Uwatec SmartPro used to get me about 2 years use, so the nine months or so I get off the Luna is slightly disappointing.

The weird thing is that I'm still on the original batteries in my transmitter, so that's been going strong for nearly a year and a half full time.

Apart from that, I still have the original strap, face is still on, not bad for 500 dives in Lembeh. I lose my air data when I move my hand away from my body with my video housing, but it always comes back on.

We just had -once again- a client having issues with her wireless dive computer not recognizing tank pressure.

She got nervous, upset and ruined at least 2 days of diving with us for a unnecessary technical problem.

It is my believe that the approx. 100$ for a small, quality pressure gauge as backup is a big holiday saver and as some

divers would still dive/continue the dive with a missing/partly missing tank pressure signal it may save also your life.

Chris

I lose my air data when I move my hand away from my body with my video housing, but it always comes back on.

My Sol also loses the air signal in Lembeh, but not much anywhere else. Something to do with the sand?

Now I'm using the Mares Icon HD Net Ready. Great display. Especially on night dives. But you have to charge the battery every dive day. Goes into red after 6 or 7 dives.

Regards

Peter

I just got back from Lembeh, and this is the first outing with my Luna (basically the same thing as the sole, minus the chest strap, and some mixture options). It read fine. Except for when I got very low on air. Mine and my wife's started not reading after about 232 PSI.

I bought the Uwatec Luna, because I had issues with reliability with some other wireless computers. So far I love the computer. Having it not read after 232 PSI is fine with me. I do have a backup gauge. I should be on the surface at that pressure anyway!

Dustin

I have had a Luna for over a year now and the only issues I have with tank pressure are a momentary loss of tank pressure but it starts reading again within 30 seconds or less. The only time I have had any Uwatec computers, Smarttec or Smartpro or Luna,have trouble all the time reading the tank pressure is when the sender was positioned opposite the wrist unit. So it was trying to transmit through my body. I have noticed that it stops displaying my tank pressure around 250psi pretty regularly. Not often I breath a tank below that anyway.

1) It beeps all the time because the wireless pressure signal goes in and out, in and out, in and out... this would make me want to still have a analog pressure gauge because at times you'd be without knowing how much air you had for up to 1 min.

So I had exactly this same problem on my brand new Sol on it's first dive. It's since been sent back to Uwatec and I've just found out today that they're sending it back now supposedly redone although they could find no problem. They claim it may be related to my strobes. If this is the case than I'll have to return it and find another computer. My previous wireless computer was a 12 year old Cochran Nemesis and it had no such issues.

It lost the signal so frequently that I just began to ignore the alarm beeper and I frequently had no concept of what my tank pressure was. I was only diving in 20 feet of water so I continued, had I been going any deeper I would've aborted my dive immediately.

It seems like it's hit or miss weather you get one that works well with strobes or not.

Question, is your transmitter on the same side of your primary as your dive computer so there is a continuous line of sight between the two units?

I started with an Air Z, then a Smart Tec and now the Galileo Sol. All three would occasionally lose the transmitter signal for a few seconds. What I have found with the Galileo and Smart Tec is as the battery wares down, the frequency of losses increases and is easily corrected by replacing the battery. My strobes do not effect the transmitter signal, but a communication cable between Little Cayman and the Brac did. If I swan over the cable I would lose my signal until I passed over it.

Edited by eyu

Don't know what strobes you use, but mine are twin Ikelite 125's, and I have never had a problem in the five years I have dived and shot with the Sol. I really suspect the issue is the battery in the sending unit. I have had a couple of bad replacement batteries over the years, which caused reception issues. Cleared right up when I replaced it with a good battery.

Hope you get it sorted out. The Sol and accompanying software have been the best I have used.

Don't know what strobes you use, but mine are twin Ikelite 125's, and I have never had a problem in the five years I have dived and shot with the Sol. I really suspect the issue is the battery in the sending unit. I have had a couple of bad replacement batteries over the years, which caused reception issues. Cleared right up when I replaced it with a good battery.

Hope you get it sorted out. The Sol and accompanying software have been the best I have used.

One of my strobes is a DS51 (or equivalent, it's a few years old) and the other is a DS160 (or equivalent, also a few years old) using them wired with a housing on the G9.

I'm assuming everyone is talking about the transmitter battery, and yes transmitter is on my left side, and I wear the receiver on the left arm.

Sponsors

Advertisements