I'm thinking of taking 2 8" arms (per each side) to use with my 10.5Dx lens in Alaska. Here is a shot I took in relatively poor conditions off of Santa Cruz using the 10.5 and the same 8" arms. It seems you can get a shot without a lot of backscatter in poor contions with carefull placement of the strobes. (DS125s with a diffuser on them)

What is you impression of the lighting? Okay with little backscatter or hot spots? Or should I bring my two longer arms?

post-72-1181792157_thumb.jpg

Dave,

For me the answer is all about your expected camera to subject distances. The longer the distance the longer the required arms.

For example the day before yesterday I was shooting in 4m viz with the fisheye using single 8" arms. This was fine because I was only doing close focus wide angle.

While in better Viz in Sipadan a few weeks ago (say 18m) I was using double jointed arms because I was shooting subjects further from the lens.

If the example shot you post is what you plan to shoot then I think you are fine with double jointed 8" arms. If you are going to shoot bigger subjects or from further back then maybe you want a big more. If you are going to do CFWA then you could get away with single 8" arms per side.

Alex

Thanks Alex. I think I will take the 12" arms as well. I got a number of good diver shots on this last trip; but I noticed some backscatter in the edges of the photos a a few had hot spots on the out side. I think strobe placement may be easier with longer arms available.

I was impressed with how well the 10.5 does wide angle in mediocre visibility conditions.

I'm thinking of taking 2 8" arms (per each side) to use with my 10.5Dx lens in Alaska. Here is a shot I took in relatively poor conditions off of Santa Cruz using the 10.5 and the same 8" arms. It seems you can get a shot without a lot of backscatter in poor contions with carefull placement of the strobes. (DS125s with a diffuser on them)

What is you impression of the lighting? Okay with little backscatter or hot spots? Or should I bring my two longer arms?

Longer is better. The (2) 8" arms will work but if you have longer arms, take them. The 10.5 is so wide, that I was constantly having to adjust the arms to move them behind the 180degree field of view.

I am still debating the benifit of diffuser vs no diffusers with the DS125s when shooting the 10.5. Anyone else have an opinion?

80893516.jpg

Edited by tx51210

I don't like diffusers too much on my SS200's, I really like the "hard" light without diffuser. In my view it gets too "soft" with the diffuser.

FWIW I have not found the diffusers on the DS125 to give any benefit.

The DS125 does not seem to produce such a 'hard' / 'cold' light such as say the Innon units.

What the diffusers do for you is seem to drop about a stop which makes things tougher than they need to be.

After my first trip with the diffusers I quit taking them on trips - they now sit in the box at home.

Paul C

I use the diffusers on almost all my 10.5 photos not because I like or dislike the light it gives, but because without it id need 3 strobes :)

Cor

I notice a difference. In my dark local water, where you really need strobes on the whole foreground, there are times when I take the diffusers off for that last half stop of power, and there are times I want them on for the additional width.

i'd bring them. They don't weigh much.

Sponsors

Advertisements