Sign in to follow this  
LekicINC

First Photo Trip. Would appreiciate some advice.

Hello all,

I will be trying my hand at UW photography for the first time this august in Bali. I really have interest in macro shots that can be taken of critters so I can have visually pleasing catalog of species I encounter. My current set up is a Olympus 5060 in olympus houding and a Reefmaster SL-960D SeaLife External Flash. Any other suggestion for things to bring along? Filters? Lenses? Anything at all that might make macro pictures easier for my setup and limited (0) experience...

Thanks

If you can add an external macro or close-up lens to your system I would.

Refine your underwater photo techniques.

Get in the pool and practice your macro shots with plastic bugs/lizards/frogs/whatever.

-dial in your lighting (strobe placement and power, diffuser or no diffuser)

-practice composition

-learn all your camera's functionality and quirks (be careful of shutter lag)

Practice your bouyancy control and balancing on one or two fingers _not_ touching the bottom while taking pictures.

I have been doing just that! I went into the pool and started with my macro shots...Problem is my pool isnt that deep, and no light is lost. I tried uw photo before with a c60 zoom (no manual controls) and all my pictures were blue. Other than manual white balance and getting closer to subject, is there anything I can do to improve color other than that with my particular set up. ( i assume a strobe will help too).

Also, I cant seem to figure out what macro lense would work with my camera. Does anyone know where to find such information?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Matt

Hi Matt,

The usual macro technique is to "stop down" and totally eliminate the natural light from the shot. This will get rid of the blue cast.

To do this you will have to shoot in Manual mode with a fast shutter speed. Adjust the aperture and strobe power to get a good shot.

The Oly housing has a 67mm front thread, so you can use the Inon macro lenses. I think the 165 is a good one for about $150

Cheers

James

Hi Matt,

The usual macro technique is to "stop down" and totally eliminate the natural light from the shot. This will get rid of the blue cast.

To do this you will have to shoot in Manual mode with a fast shutter speed. Adjust the aperture and strobe power to get a good shot.

The Oly housing has a 67mm front thread, so you can use the Inon macro lenses. I think the 165 is a good one for about $150

Cheers

James

Thanks james for the tips! I am going to look into getting the lense Inon 165 lense. Is this the one you were talking about? Close up lense Very glad I have been getting this advice before I left. Last thing, can you elaborate on what "stop down" is?

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by LekicINC

Yep, that's it. I also recommend the lens holder so you can "dock" the lens when you're not using it.

Cheers

James

Just reinforcing James comments.

I have had some success shooting macro with a Oly 5050, I usually start with 1/1000s @ f8 and keep the strobe power to about 1/4 or less. I then vary the strobe position to get the effect that I am looking for.

Using these settings I can get a nice black background with the subject illuminated solely by the strobe light. If you get a chance try it in the pool, even though it is not very deep you should see what I am referring to.

I also usually keep the diffuser on the strobe to soften the light.

Martin

Thanks James and Martin. I am going to try and pick up both a diffuser for the strobe as well as the macro lense. The reason I am using the cheap strobe as I thought it was an economic solution. Would I definitely benefit from macro lense over, say, uprgrading the strobe for my purposes?

Thanks again everyone for the REALLY helpful advice

Matt

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements