kiri

Manual WB, is it really necessary?

Yup. A person can always go through the menu presses by looking through the housing, aligning the dial to 'one push' and then aim at whatever. However I don't like taking my eyes off the action, I have missed too many things that way. After now using the housing on several trips I use two methods:

Ryan

OK. I used the camera and housing in the Red Sea for the last 2 weeks. I didn't find MWB too hard. setting up the menu to get to the one push button required tipping the camera sideways so I could glance through the window on the side to see where the pointer was pressing.

Once I got to the one push I could hold the camera in the left hand (holding the left hand grip) and use my left thumb to push the button while my right hand held a white balance card (or I used the palm of my hand)

The biggest problem was then finding the OK button to leave the menu. I got very frustrated trying to do this and continually hitting the one push button again.

In the end I resorted to using the ON button on the back of the housing to cycle through from camera to memory to playback and back to camera.

This kept the white balance setting and, while taking a few seconds to do was more reliable than making multiple attempts to hit the OK button.

I made a few experimental shots comparing AWB and MWB and the colours were much better with MWB

Searching through the forums this is probably the closest thread I can find to what I'm curious about so it's a bump. sorry.

When performing MWB do you still need to use a filter? I have been because, well, I have no idea to be honest. It just seems like the thing to do and I never got around to experimenting. I have been told that you don't need to? Thoughts or facts welcome. Cheers.

edit - sorry what I should have asked was why do you need the filter when doing MWB?

Edited by Spacker

I never heard of WBing on the palm of one's hand. Unless you are an albino, I'm not sure how this sets to white.

Steve B)

Obviously hands are not quite white but filtered through a little bit of water, caucasian palms are pretty neutral, especially once they get soggy and the colour gets washed out of them during the dive.

It really works. Check out my pics early in this thread for examples.

A little bit of pinkness is not a bad thing to WB on underwater. When I was WBing on white fins I needed to reduce the red in post on a lot of my footage. I even started scrawling red pen on them to knock back the redness. Now I'm finding the palms of my hands to be a perfect balance.

Now I'm finding the palms of my hands to be a perfect balance.

Cold water and thick neoprene gloves....... :)

-still it's a good tip !

A gray glove also works like a gray WB card. I find it works very well too.

Hi guys,

maybe it's a little bit late to jump in... :blush:

Based on your experience, what's the maximum depth it's worth to do a MWB?

I mainly film on deep wrecks (60/70 meters/180/200 ft) in clear waters and I always used auto WB.

Thank you in advance

David

Hi Long John,

Welcome to the perfect storm of wetpixel :blush:

I would think it would be worth WB at all depths, if you can that is... What Cam/housing have you got.

At that depth i would do most of my CC in post.

Although when I was diving off Singapore my little A1 worked well (for a little cam) and I had some decent colour to build on at 55M...

I would suggest a BIG light bank :blink:

Dive safe

DeanB

At that depth i would do most of my CC in post.

Although when I was diving off Singapore my little A1 worked well (for a little cam) and I had some decent colour to build on at 55M...

I would suggest a BIG light bank :blush:

Hi DeanB,

usually within the team we have double 50W HID lights and sometime we are lucky to use also a 200W HMI light. But sometimes the dives are so demanding that we prefer to bring just the camera. A PD170 and a FX1.

So I'm wondering if a MWB it's still useful in these conditions. Usually all samples I found are in shallow tropical waters B)

Here some shots of my friends at 90 meters/270ft:

Thank you

Sponsors

Advertisements