kazb

What port for Nikon 12-24mm

Just got myself a housing for my D200 (the housing is now discontinued from Sea & Sea) and now I have to look at what ports to choose. I have a 105mm macro and have found the port I need, but what would you choose for the 12-24mm.

I have looked at the port chart in the Sea & Sea catalog and they have 4 combinations to choose from: NX Fisheye dome, NX compact dome, CX compact dome or the Compact wide port L.

I am leaning towards the Compact wide port L as the base (NX Compact macro port base) will fit a lot of other lens/port combinations in the future.

What do you think pros/cons?

Kenneth

Just got myself a housing for my D200 (the housing is now discontinued from Sea & Sea) and now I have to look at what ports to choose. I have a 105mm macro and have found the port I need, but what would you choose for the 12-24mm.

I have looked at the port chart in the Sea & Sea catalog and they have 4 combinations to choose from: NX Fisheye dome, NX compact dome, CX compact dome or the Compact wide port L.

I am leaning towards the Compact wide port L as the base (NX Compact macro port base) will fit a lot of other lens/port combinations in the future.

What do you think pros/cons?

Kenneth

Fisheye dome. It is my experience that none of the smaller domes give good edge-to-edge sharpness.

Hi Ken,

Congrats on your new purchase! I have to agree with John in regards to the Fisheye. I generally reccomend a 40 extension ring and +2 diopter for best corner sharpness as well but feel free to play around and see what results are best!

On a side note the Sea & Sea DX-D200 is still a current model and should be for at least a little while to come! Once Nikon stops making the camera then the housing will begin its descent in manufacturing!

:(

Lee

I generally recommend a 40 extension ring and +2 diopter for best corner sharpness as well but feel free to play around and see what results are best!

Lee

That is exactly the combination I found most successful with the 12-24.

Here is an example of a shot made with a compact dome port. I was stuck with it for a trip after falling for beguiling sales talk from SW. You may not notice the difference on the monitor but it sure shows up on a DPS (This month's Diver Mag. UK).

post-4197-1182800546_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the input. I guess I will have to look at the Fisheye dome then. It is just so big for travelling. About the housing beeing discontinued. My friend owns the local diveshop and they import Sea & Sea. They had a meeting with a rep from Sea & Sea and he told them that the housing is discontinued and the one I got was one of the last ones. Maybe because of the new housing for the Fuji S5. The D200 should fit that one as the camera bodys are the same ?

Kenneth

Sponsors

Advertisements