scubamarli

Stopover plans for Brisbane and Sydney

Hi,

I am finally heading to the Solomons in late July. I have basically have two nights and a full day each in Brisbane and Sydney. Due to recent surgery on the knee, tons of walking may not be possible, but I do have 4 weeks of rehab time left, so you never know. Any ideas of what I can do for a relaxing overview of each city? As much as a helicopter tour of Sydney sounds great, it's not in the budget! I'm staying on Kangaroo Point in Brisbane, and Darling Harbour in Sydney.

Cheers,

Marli

In Sydney you can visit the aquarium at Darling Harbor and afterwards have a drink at one of the many restaurants/bars. If you have some extra time, maybe visit one of the beaches (Manly, Bondi, ..) and watch the surfers.

In Brisbane I would suggest going to visit Lone Pine Koala park, a nice boat ride away. But at Lone Pine you'll have do to a bit of walking. Nothing too serious, but still. If thats too much, then I dont know :( I always stay around Elizabeth Street and just hang out there. Do some shopping, stuff like that.

If you visit Sydney Aquarium, in the same complex is a new attraction also, Sydney Wildlife World which opened late last year. Make sure you buy at least one postcard from each...please. ;)

If you take the Ferry to the beach at Manly you'll get to cruise the Harbour.

In Brissie for the day....if you've had enough animals in Sydney, get an all-day pass on the CityCat ferry system, you'll be able to catch from Dockside at Kangaroo Point and you can cruise the Brisbane River up and down stream. The CityCat stop at Bulimba is just a short walk from a nice cafe strip, and you can also get off at Southbank to see the Museum and Art Gallery precinct. Mt Coot-tha is the only high point in Brisbane...a hill really... but if you can get out there (about 10km from the city, tour or there may even be a bus) you'll see nice views and get the city in context.

But if you want the best wildlife day you could every want in Brisbane, contact me and I'll put you in touch with a mate that used to run wildlife tours here. He doesn't have his own bus anymore, but if he is available, you could hire a small car for the day, and he will drive you around to see some really excellent stuff for a reasonable fee. Fruit-bat colonies, wild kangaroos and koalas, etc great birding spots, plus you get to see the city as well, and he's a laugh a minute. Just PM me.

darren

Thanks Cor & Darren! All sound like great suggestions.

Cheers,

Marli

"get an all-day pass on the CityCat ferry system, you'll be able to catch from Dockside at Kangaroo Point and you can cruise the Brisbane River up and down stream."

We spent couple days in Brisbane last Fall before Spirit of Solomons. A pass on the City Cat was fun. Covered lots of river for cheap. Good sight seeing. <_<

Sponsors

Advertisements