stewsmith

where to go next...please help me choose

ok heres the deal.... i havent been diving very long, just over 3 years, i have logged 200+ dives already, all of them in warmer waters to the uk. i have been to kuredu - vilamendhoo - fiha lhohi in the maldives,

2 red sea liveaboards, galapagos, bunaken and lembeh, sipadan - mabul - kapalai, komodo, similan - surin in thailand.

i have the cocos booked for this christmas, and i am struggling for my next adventure. i am just getting into photography so ideally i would like to be diving in clear waters. have any of you guys got any suggestions, reccomendations of where to go next year. i would have loved to get on to one of jim abernathys tiger trips to the bahamas but they are booked up already so thats gonna have to wait till 09.

Impressive list!

Truk, Palau, Yap?

Cozumel and the greater Caribbean?

Seychelles/Aldabra?

Fernando de Noronhna (Brazil)?

Papua New Guinea?

Raja Ampat?

So much water and so little time!

Edited by jlyle

brazil.....now there is somewhere i have never even looked at going......cheers.

raja ampat is on my list already, i am waiting for a guy i know to finish construction of his liveaboard before i go there.

brazil.....now there is somewhere i have never even looked at going......cheers.

raja ampat is on my list already, i am waiting for a guy i know to finish construction of his liveaboard before i go there.

Or you could go somewhere colder like Canada, or Alaska or Norway.

COCOS! - but you're going there so I'd say hit the carribian, Belize or Cayman are fantastic. The kelp forests in California are very cool too.

Maybe it's just me, but reading where he has dove, IMHO, the Caribbean would be disappointing.

Well, I just got back from the Barkley Sound at Vancouver Island. So far my favorite place for diving and I can say I have been quite spoiled being a professional travel photographer and journalist.

Diving just south of Tokyo at the Izu Peninsula (only two hours from downtown) was great fun too: amazing underwater life combined with the crazy Japanes style of living (and diving)! ;)

Just got back from South Africa - you really havn't seen a shark until you see a Great White up close and personal! ;) There are lots of different locations to give a good variety of diving in South Africa from temperate to tropical. Perhaps even head up to Mozambique (although I've not been there myself yet). There is of course the Sardine Run as well, but you've just literally missed that this year.

The Bahamas has some nice shark action at a couple of spots, but if you're planning on the Tiger trip anyway then you may want to wait for that.

Oh yeah we loved the Philippines! Malapascua was a great location - good macro, a really chilled out place with the chance of spotting Threshers or Mantas on Monad Shoal. They also do an amazing Mandarin fish sunset dive there too - 100x better than the Kapalai one,(which was dam good anyway)! We were not so keen on Alona Beach, but there are so many dive spots around the Philippines that it's hard to choose!

Cheers, Simon

Edited by SimonSpear

Oh i get it... This is just a excuse for the 'look where I've been' crowd ;)

So I'm going to join in with my fave..

Stoney Cove !!!!!

What an absolute gem of a destination, schools of beautiful fish, magnificient viz, warm waters and home to one of the most charismatic hunter, killers in the world...

Well two out of four ain't bad.

Dive safe

DeanB

stoney cove wasn't what i had in mind....!!!!!!!!

the south africa idea does appeal to me, i have been looking at it for a while and i am finding it hard to tie cage diving, protea, aliwal and mozam.

i also had a look at the brazil idea and that is very appealing. has anyone got any more info on it, ie who to dive with, where to stay etc ideally i would like the dive centre to have an english speaking guide.

I've also been most everywhere and the one place I never tire of is the Cocos Islands in Costa Rica for the large critters. Next summer in 08 will be my 10th trip there and I am already biting at the bit. You must go at the right time of year however to get the best of what the Cocos has to offer.

Steve B)

There's always Australia. B)

We have the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea on the East and Ningaloo on the west. We speak English (and spell the same way as you :D ) and have cold beer. ;)

If you want to do a Liveaboard, I can highly recommend Undersea Explorer. I have done 5 trips with them out to the Coral Sea. Absolutely brilliant! I haven't yet done the Far North trip, yet, but will one day. They head up to Raine Island during turtle nesting season. Here they catch and tag tiger sharks.

i am leaving australia for the time being, a diving relative of mine is moving out there with in the next year so i will be out there after that. i have looked at a couple of coral sea trips and they do look very good.

and like you say, they speak english and more imprtantly the beers always cold....:-)

You must go at the right time of year however to get the best of what the Cocos has to offer.

Steve B)

have you been there in december - january. we are booked on the christmas trip at the end of this year. the main reason we booked then is because the sea crossing is supposed to be calmer, my wife gets very anxious on rough crossings.

Stew,

Next summer will be my 10th trip there. I always go between early June and late August and have had only one rough crossing. That was back in 92. No guarantees on crossing smoothness tho. I would recommend your wife get a prescription for scopase. No matter what time of year you go, you will probably have a good time but do not expect the large schools of hammerheads or any whale sharks in Dec. The rainy season of June brings the nutrients into the waters and the large numbers of pelagics. We do have some open spots on our Aug, 08 trip if you would like to join us but it looks like you have already made your plans. In Dec. you will probably see lots of marble rays and white tips, and a variety of other rays as well. Just have fun.

It's a great place.

Steve

the ones that i want to see are the silvertips, i hope they are there. i have been looking on undersea hunters web site and they seem to have had good trips at december over the last few years. all the best, stew

Mozambique (Tofo),

Ok not perfekt viz, but Manta's, whalesharks, humpbacks in the right season (now til oktober) and even some nice macro diving like Harlequin shrimps etc!

I am going tommorow for my 4th time!

Not sure if your still interested in Fernando de Noronhna, but I hear its truly an amazing place to dive. I have never dove it, but when I visited Brazil last August, all the talk was about this island. Gorgeous, crystal clear water with unique marine life. That said, if you want to go, you need to book early (why I was not able to go)! they only let a certain amount of people on the island at one time, so if you go when there is a holiday or planning on a weekend trip, you really need to plan ahead. Its also not a place for those short on money, as its quite expensive but worth it. Expect an average of 30m viz, plust tons of pelagics on every dive. Great for UW photography. Famous for its dolphins. Also, because of the tourist limits, plan on few divers at your site. I would also take some time to visit the rest of brazil, an amazing country! I only had the chance to do some freshwater diving in Bonito (now closed to tourists), but I wish I had done more. I think the other Atlantic destinations will be a little dissapointing considering your other journeys.

Id say that diving with the Giant Humboldt Squid should be on the list...near the top.

Here are some pics of a trip we did last week.

http://squiddiving.com/Gallery.html

We have started to take customers up to the fishing grounds where the squid are much more active and aggressive on the last day. Makes for some interesting shots.

1fee9158.jpg

e2bd3d28.jpg

P1010040.jpg

GTB

Having just returned from a trip to Bali and Komodo, I realized that there is a big difference between what I would call good diving and world class diving. Of course, this would depend upon the divers past experiences and what they are hoping to see. Nice, pretty diving such as Thailand might offer is good diving, Puerta Gallera in the Philippines is good diving but if you compare Puerta Gallera to Lembeh it simply pales in comparision. Lembeh is world class. I laugh when I go someplace and someone is excited about seeing a few white tips in Fiji or a Silver tip in Kimbe Bay, PNG....these are good diving spots but if you go to the Cocos Islands in Costa Rica during the late spring and summer months, you will see hundreds and hundreds of white tips and many more silver tips(I had at least 40 at Silverado on one dive) plus the schools of hammers. The Cocos are world class. Go to ScapaFlow in Scotland for the WW1 wrecks and they are old and decomposed, good diving perhaps but Truk is world class. South Africa for the Great Whites, maybe you will see them, maybe you won't...good diving....Guadalupe Island, you always see them....world class. I haven't had a fam on the Humbolt Squid trips yet but I would imagine that it is a first rate experience.

I guess my whole point is that we, as divers, need to stop reading the ads in dive magazines and thoroughly research your proposed destination so that you get the biggest bang for your buck. I just wish I had the same eyes as my 'New Diver' wife on her first dive trip....it was like 'Steve, I saw a beautiful brown and white whatchamacallit" Heck, she was excited about seeing an underwater rock. I remember when I was like that. Miss it.

Steve B)

Steve, are you saying Bali is good diving and Komodo world class ?

I am booked on a trip for next spring for Sarong-Ambon, spending a few days in Bali. Should I dive while in Bali or just stay topside ?

Ron,

In my view, it was all just good. Lots of healthy soft corals and some macro to be found here and there but nothing that I saw would I designate as world class, high octane diving. What boat will you be on?

Steve B)

I'll be diving with Kararu on their newer boat, Cheng Ho.

We are diving the areas north of Komodo, starting in Ambon, finishing in Sarong.

How does this itinerary compare to Komodo ?

P.S. Edit:

Just found a real nice site describing the different Indonesian dive itineraries.

Indo diving

Looks like they are staight up and honest as they specifically mention areas that are not good for sharks and or macro.

Edited by ronscuba

Sponsors

Advertisements