azorean

Fisheye lens for a 5D in a Aquatica

Hi all,

I´ve been using a 17-40, with my Aquatica 8" dome + extension. This year I will be taking alot of pictures of whales and Dolphins, so I was thinking I need to go wider. I hear allot about the Sigma 15mm, but hasn´t this lens been discontinued? What are my options?

What about the Aquatica 8" dome with the fisheye, any extension necessary?

Thank´s

Most of my WA shots are taken with the Sigma 15mm FE. I haven't heard anything about it being discontinued. It's still here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4075..._2_8_EX_DG.html

You can paid a little more and get the Canon 15mm FE, but I don't think there's a big difference between the image quality of the two.

[edit]

Actually, the Canon 15mm FE is only $30 more. With such a small difference, I'd probably get the Canon.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1206...15mm_f_2_8.html

Although i use a Nikon, i don't need any extensions for the 10.5mm fisheye and my Aquatica 8" dome. Not sure how the physical size of the Sigma or Canon match up to the Nikon but i am sure fairly similar so i would suggest an extension not necessary.

What port protector do you have? If you have the thick one it won't work with fisheye, you will need the small one or none at all like me..

Most of my WA shots are taken with the Sigma 15mm FE. I haven't heard anything about it being discontinued. It's still here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4075..._2_8_EX_DG.html

You can paid a little more and get the Canon 15mm FE, but I don't think there's a big difference between the image quality of the two.

[edit]

Actually, the Canon 15mm FE is only $30 more. With such a small difference, I'd probably get the Canon.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1206...15mm_f_2_8.html

Hi Herbko,

Noticed you are using the same housing configurations as me. If I get the Sigma 15mm,´does the #18480 Fisheye Dome Shade, work wel on the 8" dome port? Or do you use no shade at all??

Thank´s

The proper dome shade for fisheye lens is the 18480, aptly named the fisheye lens dome shade (we are so creative in naming our products :) ), its cutawatay run almost to the flange of the dome so as to clear the corner.

The proper dome shade for fisheye lens is the 18480, aptly named the fisheye lens dome shade (we are so creative in naming our products :) ), its cutawatay run almost to the flange of the dome so as to clear the corner.

Excellent, it´s what I have been using with the 17-40. So, 15mm it is, but Sigma or Cannon? :)

Given the price difference, I would opt for the original manufacturer, as far as construction goes the Canon is more rugged, Sigma are fine optic, propably as good as the Canon, but its definetly not as solid a construction.

Go with the Canon unless you can scrounge the deal of the century somewhere on a second hand lenses,

I'm too poor to buy cheap as we say up here :)

I dont think the sigma 15 FE is a cheaply made lense. I bought it secondhand (ebay) for about $ 150 below new price here. It does feel quite solid and was like new. You cant compare it with sigma lenses as the 70-300mm. I cant really compare it with L lenses, but regarding build quality it is on par with my 60mm EFS.

But on the other hand, 30 more is nothing much indeed....

Gerard

Gerard, I'm not saying Sigma are "cheap" but they are not built as rugged as the Nikon or Canon. every time one of my lenses as gone for repair in the last 10 years it as been a Sigma (and I had at least 6 lenses from them), the alloy used, its thickness, the use of plastic, zoom barrel coming loose are all components I had issue with, I only used the EX version of Sigma but had quite a few of them before I gave up and got the manufacturer version.

They do have a good warranty, at least in Canada its 7 years, but like any service, the best service is not having to need it.

I still use and love my Sigma 10-20, but its my third one, mind you, in one case I can't blame the lenses, it went down with my boat and spent two days underwater.

And now i'm looking into getting a Tokina 10-17 and expect more or less the same from it than I did from the Sigma.

BTW i'm no neantherdal cave man, but I used my stuff quite a bit and in the end rugged does pay.

No problem, I can understand what you mean with the zooms, thats pretty bad, but this is a fixed focus lens, that is pretty heavily made.

I have my digital 1 year now, and even the canon kit lens is still OK, so probably I dont use it as much, or things happen to you that dont happen to me.

So you dont hit neanderthal women with it, but how does it get broken, since even expensive glass will scratch and chip when touched bad? Is it bangs to something when you're wearing it on the neck strap or something like that (i'm just curious BTW, not trying to be critical)

I carry my stuffwith me basically every day of the year, its not so much a big knock as much as vibration and premature wear on the parts that translate in things wobling and getting sloppy etc.

My background is camera repair, at least half of my active photography life i've spend fixing them and the other half selling them in various store. You kinda keep your own little private statistics as you see stuff been sold and the % of them that come back. In the end I endorse Sigma product as been very good but not as solid as the Nikon or Canon would be, that being said both Canon and Nikon have come up with pretty cheaply made lenses themselves, some of them would not even set off an airport metal detector :) the only metal in them been the screw that hold the plastic together (when its not glued). when I compare I try to stick to the quality level of the comparative lenses. both Canon and Nikon as well as Sigma offer the consumer 3 level of quality : entry, serious amateur and pros level.

I find the Sigma's EX series close to Canon/Nikon Pro level for glass quality and serious amateur for metal construction, which is why in this case at + 30.00 its a no brainer to go and get the Canon fisheye.

Hi,

I am planning to buy one of these lenses. I guess only real advantage the Sigma has is the focus distance. However I don't have any experience with shooting Fisheye. Is a 5cm difference in focusing distance that significant?

Best Regards,

Vincent

Edited by vincentkneefel

However I don't have any experience with shooting Fisheye. Is a 5cm difference in focusing distance that significant?

No. Behind a big dome it is rarely possible to make use of really close focus. The difference between the Nikon 16mm and Sigma 15mm is significant. The Canon 15mm vs Sigma is not.

Alex

Sponsors

Advertisements