badbaz

Monitor Color Calibrators

I've been reading a bit about monitor colour calibrators / profilers. There seems to be quite a few on the market and prices vary greatly. The Pantone Huey and ColourVision Spyder seem the most popular. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Cheers,

Barry

I've been reading a bit about monitor colour calibrators / profilers. There seems to be quite a few on the market and prices vary greatly. The Pantone Huey and ColourVision Spyder seem the most popular. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Cheers,

Barry

I use spyder 2 express, it works great

I use EyeOne Display 2 and I'm very happy with the results.

have used Color confidence for a number of years now and stuck with the spyder range, very happy with its performance. Though other makes produce similar excellent results. I use my Spyder on my desk CRT and laptop TFT screen to ensure consistency between the screens.

I use the gretag macbeth eyeone 2 at my work. That coupled with a Eizo monitor is extremely accurate. I work at an in-house photography studio and this combination is by far the best.

Another vote for Gretag Macbeth EyeOne.

It does all I need it to do, when submitting to diving magazines. If you are shooting for National Geographic, they may have other demands, but until then...

just wondering if anyone has experience of using the Gretag and Spyder and could say what the differences they have noticed, if any?

I use the spyder, works fine. No experience with any others.

Cor

I use the Spyder2 Pro. Consistently great results.

Cheers,

Marli

Love my current Spyder2Pro, and all the spyders I've had along the way. Never used anything but a spyder

i have just colour calibrated my CRT and i cannot believe the difference

pictures look totally different and there is a lot more in them

i used the spyder2 calibrator , i have no comparison with any other system thou

wow very impressed

will have to re photoshop everything now

vinny

In early 2003 I got Monaco Optix at a camera seminar and used it and it was a nightmare - never calibrated correctly with lots of attempts from me. I think the software just never got it right.

Since then I stayed away from color calibration with my Apple Cinema display which is pretty good quality so I just got by with using canned monitor Adobe 1998 profile. I just didn't want to go through another nightmare with the complex and terrible profiling of the Monaco I had.

A couple of weeks ago I got the Pantone Huey Pro. It is magnificent. Easy to use - calibrated all our dispalys and my laptop. There wasn't a huge, huge difference as our Apple displays were in the ballpark but it did remove an awful greenish tint off all the screens and made the colors look richer.

The Huey Pro is small and simple, probably too simple for some but not for me. Again the more complex Monaco was a nightmare and the Pantone Huey Pro is not. My prints are very close to my screen image now, the only reason they don't match exactly is that my Epson is capable of printing colors my display cannot duplicate (e.g. many cyans). I understand the Huey Pro uses some of the Gretag technology and I also love the feature that is adjusts for ambient light as there can be some undesirable ambient light in my space here at times and the Huey Pro does a great job - plugged in all the time - adjusting for the changing ambient light.

Some might want a more sophisticated system but the Huey Pro is great cause it is very small, portable, simple and it works!

Best, Carol

I use spyder2 on a windows pc with a lcd monitor. So far good results. Fairly easy to use product. I have no experience with other calibrators.

Sponsors

Advertisements