cor

EU bans all indonesian airlines

I havent read anything about it here yet, even though this is quite important news. The EU has put all Indonesian airlines on a black list. This means that you can not fly any of the indonesian airlines to/from indonesia and europe, and worse, you cant actually book any flights at all, even domestic ones, through european travel agents. This is effective immediately. Lots of trips have been cancelled, re-routed, or otherwise changed. I listened to the radio yesterday, and some travel agent was explaining that it also means that if you fly an indonesian airlines anyways, you will not be insured through regular travel insurance.

This is ofcourse terrible news for Indonesia. They just keep on being hit by disasters,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/airlines/story/0,,2114555,00.html

http://aviation-safety.net/news/newsitem.php?id=1849

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6248490.stm

Cor

Wow, that sucks! Did they give any reason for it? I'm lazy and I haven't read the articles yet.

James

Wow, that sucks! Did they give any reason for it? I'm lazy and I haven't read the articles yet.

James

Basically it is because the safety record of Indonesia Airlines is not enviable. I could not find, however, anything in the articles listed that said you couldn't book a ticket through European agents, only that they had to inform customers that the airlines were blacklisted. The passenger then has the right to request a refund or have the flight re-routed. From another of the many articles:

"Under European rules, passengers must be informed if an airline is on the list of banned carriers and can demand reimbursement or an alternative carrier for tickets bought in Europe for flights that do not enter EU skies."

Mike

I was listening to some guy from the dutch association of travel agents and he said that all agents with their association were not allowed to book tickets through blacklisted airlines because it would (for one thing) void all insurance.

They were re-routing people through trains and boats. Eeks.

Cor

Well there is no one to blame except themselves for this happening.

That one that overshot the runway and killed a few Australians was caused by the pilot having pressure from the company to save fuel. He did not want to go around again, the co pilot did not have the balls to override him. Well that's what I have been told by some pilots over here.

They want to now train copilots to override the captain if they look like they are doing something dumb.

Great! Fistfights in the cockpit over who's in charge! I can hardly wait! What if the less-experienced co-pilot is wrong and overrides the captain? Hmmm. So much for "pilot in command."

I was wondering when someone was going to say, "enough is enough". I got nervous flying Garuda two years ago solely because of that region's flight safety record. Like Wagsy said, they brought it on by their deregulation and "create your own" safety standards. Too darn bad but maybe this will force the Government to execute change to salvage perhaps Indo's biggest industry.

Im happy that the EU Banned all indonesian airlines.

It's a good lessons for indonesian goverment. They really SHOULD pay attention seriously to the safety of the indonesian airlines.

I'm Indonesian and i never want to fly with any indonesian airlines unless i dont have any choices anymore.

If you live here, in Indonesia, you will be shock with how bad the airlines company taking care their airplane.

for them

MORE SEATS = MORE MONEY

they dont care about the safety at all.

if you dont belive me, come to indonesia, and try to fly with most of the domestic airlines

such as, Adam Air, Sriwijaya Air, Lion Air etc.

i'm 178cm, 72kg and i'm having a hard time to sit on my chair in the airplane. i have to sit up-right! otherwise my knee will bump into the chair in front of me.

it's terrible!

Most of the local airline in Indonesia, they remove the original chair on the airplane. Then they have their on "calculation" to install as many chair as they can inside the airplane.

the only airline that didn't do this kind of practise is Garuda Airlines.

I still think that Garuda is still the best airline in Indonesia.

therefore, when i have to fly domestically, such as to Bali or to Menado. I only want to fly with garuda (and YES, they are the most expensive one)

well... you dont hv other options do you?

Im 1.85m, and I dont remember being that stuffed into my seat at our Merpati flight from Sulawesi to Raja Ampat. But indonesian airlines do make me nervous.

Cor

Im 1.85m, and I dont remember being that stuffed into my seat at our Merpati flight from Sulawesi to Raja Ampat. But indonesian airlines do make me nervous.

Cor

Yes, Merpati is OK (because Merpati is the sister company of Garuda. it's not a private company)

Merpati didnt "modify" their chair.

However, Merpati is almost bangkrup now. they cancel (remove) a lot of destination (it's on the newspaper)

:)

Lion Air was like that on my flight to Sorong. I'm 6'2" and it was not comfortable. The bathroom door barely closed and the pilots were smoking away in the cockpit.

Sponsors

Advertisements