pakman

LACSA Airlines and Luggage...

Don't know much about this airlines but I'm scheduled to use them from LAX to San Jose, Costa Rica. I'll be connecting from a longhaul flight from Hong Kong where I will have a generous luggage allowance - both checked-in and carry-on (Cathay Pacific).

How strict is TACA on carryon's? I see their site says 1 10kg bag only for carry-on plus laptop or small camera bag... And it looks like they miserly on the individual check-in allowance. 2 bag with a max individual weight of 50lbs (23kg) each (total 100lbs). No additional sports gear allowance...

Any horror stories about this airline? As I am flying in from Asia, they are the only one's offering a direct flight to Costa Rica... I'd rather not deal with another 10hr flight flying via Houston... Lost luggage, delays, etc? This will be a once in a life time trip for me to the Cocos. I'll be bringing a set of u/w video gear and u/w still camera gear and will try to carry one full set on in case the airlines decide to send my luggage to San Jose California or somewhere worse...

edit: actually, I am wondering if my luggage would get checked in all the way through to SJO or if I'll have to pick up my luggage in LAX and recheck them thru... too bad American (oneworld alliance) doesn't fly this route.

2nd edit: oops, it looks the like flight is a code share and the airline is actually LACSA, not TACA itself...

[mod: changed title]

Edited by james

I can pick up your stuff at SJC (San Jose, CA).......

:)

TACA is that horrible Honduran airline. I see where LACSA is a Costa Rican subsidiary of TACA. TACA once left us stranded in Honduras for 8 hours because they gave our plane to a domestic Tour group.

Lchan, sure that would be a nice swap (upgrade) for me... Just make sure to leave your D200 and Subal setupfor me at LAX :)

Dave, just saw your post on TACA in the other thread... "Take A Chance Airline" eh? :)

grr... The problem is if I book through AA or Continental via Houston or Dallas, the 4hr LAX TO SJO leg now turns into a 10-11hr ordeal and it really screws up my schedule forcing me with an overnite stop and more precious vacation days... But if it means my equipment getting there safely... decisions... decisions...

Look on the bright side, you can visit me in Houston. If you do fly through here, make sure to drop me a line.

I flew TACA once from Houston to Belize and then to Jan Jose and back. I didn't have a camera then heck, I don't think I even had dive gear - but my stuff arrived w/ me. That was in '99

Cheers

James

OK, well I've decided to just play it safe and I've rerouted the LAX to San Jose leg on Continental via Houston. Plus Continental should be more forgiving on luggage allowances with the int'l connections.

Sponsors

Advertisements