Sign in to follow this  
azorean

Fisheye - Cannon or Sigma?

Hi all,

Need to make a decision :) , witch fisheye for my 5D in a Aquatica Housing? I hear alot about Sigma 15mm, but Cannon´s lens is not much more expensive. Any advice?

Thank´s.

I have never heard anything bad about the canon. I went with the sigma because it focuses closer and was ~$100 cheaper.

i have the sigma 15mm and have no complaints. it has good focusing distance, good saturation, and i likethe way it feels. never use the canon though.

At B&h the difference between both lens is about 30$, so with such a small difference I don´t wan´t the $ to be the decider.

I think I have made my decision. The Sigma minimum focus distance and the magnification diferences are pretty big : Sigma - 1 - 3.8 ; Cannon - 1 - 7.1.

What do you think?

I think I have made my decision. The Sigma minimum focus distance and the magnification diferences are pretty big : Sigma - 1 - 3.8 ; Cannon - 1 - 7.1.

What do you think?

I can tell you that I bought the Nikon 16mm after looking at the Sigma nikon mount and I'm regreting it. Its a fantastic super sharp lens but the min focus onlly gives a 1:10 reproduction ratio and on 3 dives i've already missed some spectacular opportunities from the lack of close focus. I'm now looking to make a trade in.

Chris

I own both the Sigma and the Canon fisheye lenses. The sigma is used almost exclusively underwater - it's close focus ability is a huge plus, and it's contrast and saturation are good. I use the Canon for some topside applications - it seems to have a bit better contrast than the Sigma in bright sunlight. But for underwater, the Sigma is the best lens to buy.

Sigma lenses have a slightly warm color tone which helps underwater.

James

James;

By "slightly warm color tone" are you saying that unlike other lens makers, Sigma tints or adds color to lens glass or coating? I am not sure how a clear glass element or coating could result in a warmer color tone than a lens by another lens maker.

All things being equal I would vote for max close focus as well. My Olympus 8 mm fisheye (180 degrees full frame) focuses to 135mm, same as the Sigma 8mm circular. This can make a big diffrence when shooting Close focus W/A.

post-2618-1184523336_thumb.jpg

Edited by tropical1

Yes I am. They don't tint it on purpose, but the lens and coating results in a warmer tone. That's my experience and what I've heard from others.

Cheers

James

Very intriguing James, I have never read of a lens or group of lenses causing a shift in color. I always thought that was as a result of the lighting source or medium on which it was recorded.

Phil

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements