bmazin

A new scooter (and a HDR-SR7 housing!)

Hello all.

We're introducing a new underwater propulsion device on Monday, and I thought I'd give you guys a heads up. This new scooter, named the Armjet, is a derivative of our Jetboots (J-DPS) product line but aimed more at the recreational diver.

We basically took the guts of a single Jetboot thruster and half of a standard Jetboot battery and stuck them into a 5" diameter aluminum cylinder. You use the resulting DPV as a one-handed scooter, with your arm either straight out in front of you, or bent and below you (imagine the arm position of bicep curl but with your palm perpendicular to your body). You can probably hook it to a crotch D-ring by looping a cord around the base of the arm ring, but I haven't tried it yet.

The resulting DPV has about 25 lbs of thrust but only weighs 9 lbs. It is pretty close to neutral in salt water. Now the best part - we made the front a dome port, so we can stick some interesting things in there - like a 10 or 21 Watt HID light running off the main battery, or a video camera. I'm thinking a Sony HDR-SR7 will hit in nicely with a bit of an extension port.

This little unit is really fun. It is hard to believe something so small can put out this much thrust, especially since the battery lasts almost an hour at 75% throttle. This isn't designed for a tech diver in doubles and a drysuit, but it moves a skin diver or a person in a compact tropical rig around really well.

I think this is really a new class of scooter –a microscooter. It is extremely small and portable so it easy to travel with. Doubling as a nice HID light is also nice. We're starting to take orders on Monday. The price for a place in the first production run will be $2500. Mention you're from the wetpixel and we'll take off $100.

More information is available www.jetboots.com. I’ll check back here to answer any questions.

Hopefully we'll have some more pictures and video up soon!

image592.jpg

image588.jpg

image591.jpg

Looks like a nice toy.

I'll probably wont buy it couse if I'll have 2500$ spear I'll probably use it on new photographic toys (and sure kicked out from home also :) )

Looks like a nice toy.

I'll probably wont buy it couse if I'll have 2500$ spear I'll probably use it on new photographic toys (and sure kicked out from home also :) )

I'm working on making a photo/video version of this.

Picture this - 2 armjets with 21W HID equivalents in the domes (probably LEDs) attached together by 2 ~2' poles. Below these two poles in the middle you hang an HD camera housing. Each Armjet has independent throttle control, so you can drive it like a tank - extremely fast left/right turns. It should be as fast or faster than a gavin/ss/X-scooter but weighs only 20 lbs without the camera. You could mount a remote LCD in a convenient place so you can frame your shot while using both hands to control the rig.

Just guessing, but I doubt there are many 4-5 knot motorized camera platforms with built in lights for ~$6k. Any video pros/documentry film makers out there think this could be useful?

Here is a (terrible) sketch of what I'm thinking. More to come as this gets closer to reality.

dualjet.jpg

Amazin' Ben! Can't wait to try one.

Now they look like a whole lot of fun :)

The double looks very cool. Question for you Ben: How will the vibration from the jets affect the video cam? I would be concerned that my shots would be have a lot of high frequency shake in them.

Thoughts?

The double looks very cool. Question for you Ben: How will the vibration from the jets affect the video cam? I would be concerned that my shots would be have a lot of high frequency shake in them.

Thoughts?

I can't address the effect from the JetBoots motors, but I can pass on (after roughly 50 dives with the X-View nose) that there is no effect on the video when using the X-Scooter. Video shot while at rest is indistinguishable from that when the motor is running, except that things fly by at high speed!

Knowing the high quality of the JetBoots, I too am interested in giving an armjet a try.

All the best, James

I can't address the effect from the JetBoots motors, but I can pass on (after roughly 50 dives with the X-View nose) that there is no effect on the video when using the X-Scooter. Video shot while at rest is indistinguishable from that when the motor is running, except that things fly by at high speed!

Knowing the high quality of the JetBoots, I too am interested in giving an armjet a try.

All the best, James

Don't most modern cameras have some sort of anti-shake feature built in that would take damp out the vibrations? This could be an issue, but I guess we'll find out when we try it!

Don't most modern cameras have some sort of anti-shake feature built in that would take damp out the vibrations? This could be an issue, but I guess we'll find out when we try it!

Not necessarily. The image stabilization whether EIS or OIS, works on the principle of removing handheld shaking or at worse car vibration. Some of the OIS systems freak out in extreme cases. The Canon video OIS system is known to go wild in helicopter or sky diving shoots, especially with the rolling shutter effect.

Would be cool if you could hard connect those things to a housing and use it like a manta board. Perhaps a wet connect plug for throttle control on the housing instead of on the unit?

Would be fin to try it with whales and dolphins.

50 lbs of thrust

20 lbs dry weight

14.8V 32 Ah battery pack - 1.5x the stored energy in a NiMH X-scooter battery pack

42 minute burn time at 75% throttle

Optional dual 21W HID fixed focus lamps

Dual independent throttle control (Tank Drive)

Separates in minutes into 2 Armjet microscooters http://jetboots.com/index_files/Page432.htm

dualjet.jpg

I took it out on Sunday for its maiden ocean dives. It performed really well. Easing off one of the throttles allows for very sharp turns, but it makes really nice sweeping turns at full throttle as well. We've got some minor issues to work out - we're going to improve the throttle mechanism and replace the fixed arm ring with something more adjustable before we go into production. One of the major uses I see for this platform is video. With two wide angle HIDs in the Armjets and a camera mounted in the center should be very stable and fast.

That does look so much fun. I don't know enough about video to comment on the quality of the images you'd get. But I am sure you'd have great fun taking them.

Alex

Has anyone tried sweeping over a submerged aircraft carrier runway on something similar...

Always thought that would be cool...

There must be 1 or 2 diveable out there...

Dive safe

DeanB

the domes look interesting. are they hdv quality ? if so, where'd you get them ?

I'm planning to stick a sony HD handcam behind them. They are from Video Rays, and they are not optically perfect, but we'll do some tests and see how good they are.

I think for a pro setup it would be better to put lights behind the domes and mount a true housing between them.

Sponsors

Advertisements