Sign in to follow this  
k2558

SEA AND SEA YS 25DX

HI

HAS ANYONE USED THIS AND WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS OF IT.

I AM DECIDING WHETHER TO GET THIS STROBE SET UP FOR MY SONY DSC P9 AND SONY HOUSING OR MAYBE GET THE YS 90DX

WILL I REGRET NOT GETTING THE MORE POWERFUL YS 90DX.

I WAS ALSO CONSIDERING THE IKELITE DS50 AND 125 BUT THEY ARE GENERALLY COMPARATIVELY MORE EXPENSIVE.

THANKS

CHRIS

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and would like to piggy back on k2558's post. I have an Olympus c4040 with the pt-010 housing. I was pretty much wondering the same thing. I spoke with a salesman who said if I was only interested in shooting macro, that the ys-25dx would do fine. I have also seen ads for larger strobes that people are selling because they are shooting macro and would like a smaller strobe. Eventually I would like to do more wide angle, but for now, with my limited budget, and since I don't have a wide angle lens yet, maybe just sticking with macro and getting the ys-25dx. The price difference for a kit is about $160 which I can afford, though. So, if I get a ys-25dx, will that be preferable over the 90dx for macro? Will I regret not getting the larger strobe if and when I decide to do wide angle as well? Will it ultimately be best to have both, one for when I do macro and one for when I do wide angle.

i completely have the same thinking and questions. now hopefully somebody has some suggestions.

good luck

Chris,

I've used both strobes and IMHO I'd go with the YS90DX over the YS25DX. The YS90DX is more versatile and has more lighting adjustment than the YS25DX though the YS25DX is sufficient for macro work but not wide. You would probably need 2 YS25DX for wide angle work.

I have also experienced battery compartment malfunction on the YS25DX strobe where the strobe would only fire topside as soon as it hits the water the darn thing wouldn't fire :rolleyes: I beleive it has something to do with the contact inside the battery compartment.

Here's a shot taken with a D-40 YS25DX strobe setup.

nudi%201.jpg

hope this helps

Allan

Yes, yes. Thanks very much for that reply.

Just another question....do you think the 90dx is too much strobe for just doing macro work?

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements