DeanB

Antibes 2007...

Mary Lynn -- Great coverage and photos! Congratulations, everyone!

I wish I could have gone to Antibes this year.

Any photos of Wetpixel folks up on stage getting their golden flippers? When Wetpixel won a few years ago, I stood up there, people said stuff in French, and then there was some applause.

It was cool.

Hmm. I wonder if we should try to make the DivePhotoGuide booth at DEMA this year look like the Antibes booth. Definitely need some booze there to attract folks, eh? :D

Jules will have video coverage of the stage awards ceremonials--he was right in there! (Thank you Jules for all the great organizing you did this year at Antibes!) We have some shots of the awards cluster at the end, and I will add one or two of those a little later today. It has been such a fun experience!

A huge Congratulations to everyone!

ML

Mary Lynn -- Great coverage and photos! Congratulations, everyone!

I wish I could have gone to Antibes this year.

Any photos of Wetpixel folks up on stage getting their golden flippers? When Wetpixel won a few years ago, I stood up there, people said stuff in French, and then there was some applause.

It was cool.

Hmm. I wonder if we should try to make the DivePhotoGuide booth at DEMA this year look like the Antibes booth. Definitely need some booze there to attract folks, eh? ;)

Eric,

you will need Unicum to make it as in Antibes : :guiness: -) A 44% herbal bitter liquor... And some Mézes Barack Pálinka (also a very fines spirit, everyone enjoyed it, thanks to Archi for the contribution to our Bar...

Jules

PS. We have 4 tapes full (DeanB was out for shooting as well), as soon as I can finish editing I will share it...

Congrs to all the winners !

Does anybody know where it is possible to find the "palmares" for all the categories (both photographs and films ) ?

Thks

Hello hello all - Does anyone know who the winners were??? We had our book entered - 'Reef'!

Matt

Hello hello all - Does anyone know who the winners were??? We had our book entered - 'Reef'!

Matt

With pleasure and congratulations :guiness: :

See in the attached file.

PALMARES_2007.pdf

That does make nice reading! :guiness:

I couldn't make it this year (speaking at the Wildphotos event in London), and maybe if this is the result, I should miss Antibes every year!

I am curious to hear how the Marineland venue was? Was the consensus that it will be a one off location? Was it a circus/jail or does it actually do good conservation and education work?

Alex

p.s. Great kudos to Thomas Peschak for ending Laurent Ballesta's reign in the slide portfolios. A fanastic achievement. Tom was also speaking at the Wildphotos event and I know he will be delighted with this result - especially beating Laurent. I also see that Julie Edwards (bella) won the Prix Apnea in the slides (although not sure what this is) and Michael Braunstein won the Promotional Website award.

According to that PDF Julie won some price, but it escapes me what that is for :guiness:

Cor

I think it's just a mistake. I haven't gotten any email or comms from the festival about it, and there's nothing on this year or previous years sites about that prize. In fact, the Apnea prize has always been awarded to written work.

I'll take the adoration though, thanks! :guiness:

Hi everyone,

I don't post often in the forum, but I read and learn a lot from it. I wanted to know your thoughts about the winning pictures of this years's Antibes Festival (for those who have been lucky enough to be here this year).

I was suprised by the jury's choice. It seemed to me that there were wonderfull, incredible pics (and some crappy one of course...) for the competition, and despite that huge choice, the winning pics are some "OK"ones, but not especially original, nor difficult to make, nor "never seen before" etc...

Here is my analysis. Before anything else, I have to tell you that I did not participate (I came back too late from a dive trip, unfortunatly) and I don't have anything against the winners. I am just trying to understand. Obviously, there is something I don't/can't see and I wanted to learn "it" from you.

here are my (humble) thoughts about the (colors) pics :

It seems to me at least that one price went to a pic that have been made, published and seen at least hundreds of time. The wide angle pic with blue water, great colors and all... OK, but not especially hard to do, nor original.

One price have been given to a macro shot of the yucatan shrimp, Periclimenes yucatanicus. it is a wonderfull little animal with wery subtle colors. But the winning pic is way too contrasty, over photoshoped in a obvious and wrong way, with false colors and all the wonderfull details "overpainted" with extreme contrast settings. In fact, when I was in front of the pic, trying to explain details to some friends, I told them "that is the exact wrong way to make a picture... It is allready seen, badly post processed, not well printed etc...you don't see the animal as it is in the sea !"

And the last price went to a butterfly fish shot, which is, at least to my eyes, very very common and shows nothing special.

It seems to me that I can see far better pictures here in the forum than these winning pics, and that there were somme incredible shots in competition that deserved far more consideration.

Well, as you can see, I really don't understand the jury's choices. :guiness:

As for the video section, I did not have the chance to view all the movies, but some winners really are wonderfull.

Anyway, I would really love to have your opinions about the pics, and even if I don't like them, Kudos to the winners for their job.

Thanks for reading

Anthony

Markus,

Way to go! You brought Antibbes to its knees!

Timbo

Maybe not next year but the year after I'll be REDdy to do it all again!

Saw your report from Ogasawara, beautiful stuff mate.

Cheers,

Mark

It does look like Julie won a price. She's in the PDF, in the portfolio section, but I still have no idea what that price is for.

PRIX APNEA "Meilleure image d'apnée" (300 €)

à Julia Edwards [Pays-Bas]

Cor

The Image was one of an Islander youth with eye goggles giving a thumbs up sign with hands tucked behind is knees.

I think the prize is aimed at Images which depict the act of Apnea or people taking part in such an act.

Cheers,

Mark.

I am curious to hear how the Marineland venue was? Was the consensus that it will be a one off location?

Was it a circus/jail or does it actually do good conservation and education work?

Hi Alex,

I actually did a write-up on my mixed feelings about the captivated Orcas:

http://www.digideep.com/english/info/html/...lings-critique/

Amazing Animals, though.

Andi, I share your feelings on the venue and the irony of holding such a festival there, and very much appreciated your write-up. It was a very strange and contradictory experience; and we can only hope that the organizers take these concerns to heart and not make the same mistake again next year. One good that came of it is the discussion of the issues that has ensued, and I hope this will continue.

Mary Lynn

The Image was one of an Islander youth with eye goggles giving a thumbs up sign with hands tucked behind is knees.

I think the prize is aimed at Images which depict the act of Apnea or people taking part in such an act.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark!

Yay for me then. :guiness:

No worries Julie.

Just also wanted to give a big shout out to Patrick, Danny and Terri who were also present at the festival. Had great times working together in the past and look forward to many more reunions.

Cheers,

Mark.

It does look like Julie won a price. She's in the PDF, in the portfolio section, but I still have no idea what that price is for.

PRIX APNEA "Meilleure image d'apnée" (300 €)

à Julia Edwards [Pays-Bas]

Cor

I hope that APNEA part is on tape, I try to search it ASAP...

Jules

Great stuff mate,

When will the all singing and all dancing podcast be out?

Working on papers.

Cheers,

Mark.

P.S How was the drive home?

Sponsors

Advertisements