aichtuoh

Workplace Hazards

Hi team

Not sure if I'm alone with this workplace injury. After a couple of years shooting dailies I have so far been fortunate enough to avoid the more likely crushed figures or toes from boat entries and exits, no DCS hit, no bumps into spiky venomous creatures, so far unscathed from all dive related mishaps (I am firmly clutching wood right now!)

I have however developed a nasty case of tennis elbow! Not in just one elbow but both.

This would be from my terrestial use of the Sony A1 camera in the Amphibico housing while I film the early morning shots of the divers beginning their day at the beach boarding the boat, gear set-up etc.

Originally my housing was of a basic variety and I had insufficient controls for surface shooting so the 'old' camera was exposed to a higher risk of water splashes and hard knocks.

With the A1 and the Evo Pro housing I thought 'great!' I can control the camera sufficiently and keep the camera in the housing whenever I am shooting.

This worked, but at the expense of my elbows due to the weight and the pressure required by my figures and thumbs to operate the controls.

The tennis elbow has been extraordinarily painful but slowly recovering through 'low season'. Any physios out there with great tips for a speedy recovery?

Or more likely anyone out there with views on the Ewa Marine bags for lightweight surface protection for the camera or any other great alternatives?

cheers

Simon

btw I have just posted a very much revised website of me. www.pushingfin.com All feedback gratefully received.

Hi Simon,

Not a physio, but a recently retired GP (Family Doctor for those in the US). Tennis elbow is a repetitive strain injury. The forearm muscles that support the wrist when the fist is clenched, as in lifting and gripping, are attached to the bone on that outer knob (technical term :D ) on your elbow. The junction of the muscle and the bone becomes inflamed and painful.

Resting is good, but not always easy. Physios can treat this with various magic machines, and more severe cases can be treated with a local steroid injection, but that is a last resort! Almost all will get better in time.

Incidentally in the UK the same thing affecting the inner knob on the elbow is known as Golfer's elbow. Incidence is 10:1 tennis to golf.

Here is hoping you get well soon :angry:

Roger

Good job you didn't opt for the Z1 / Gates combo!! You'd be one of Shwarzennegers rivals by now.

Web site is nice, simple and easy to navigate.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Roger. That diagnosis matches my symptoms. Making fists to hold the housing by the grips while using forefingers to press the triggers and thumbs for the buttons. The pain is definitely in the region of the "knobs"!

They're improving with rest.

Mark thanks for the web review. Easy is what I was aiming for. I'll be adding content over time.

I'm still many workouts away from Arnie!

I guess the surface stuff will be ex-housing.

Anyone with comments on the EwaMarine camera protection 'bags' or alternatives for shooting on beaches and open boats?

cheers

Simon

www.pushingfin.com

Someone gave me a couple of the Ewa bags a few years ago though I don't recall what cams they were for. I never used them and they are sitting in the garage collecting dust. For surface protection my impression is that they would be very good. However, I wouldn't risk using if for diving purposes even if I was only at 10ft. They seem to be able to scratch easily as these 2 that I have look a bit of a mess though I am sure that they would protect great against sand and spray.

Steve B)

or alternatives for shooting on beaches and open boats?
There's the Epic Elite. It's designed for surface/surf shooting. Only has a pause/record control though: http://www.epiccam.com/products/housings/epic-elite.html

Or maybe one of the Sony Sports Packs?

http://store.aikotradingstore.com/sony1.html

Edited by sjspeck

I've seen them in use when snorkelling around Basking sharks..But personally I'd be wary of putting my baby in them..

Dive safe

DeanB

How about a small 2nd HD camcorder like the HC5 or HV10 for the topside stuff ? I have an HV10. It's tiny, but makes a good video and I also use it as my editing deck to save wear on my FX7. You could get a small pelican case to keep it dry and safe from knocks.

I recently bought the Ewa housing for my HVX200 (because I can't lift my Gates for more than a few seconds). It is a bit pokey and will take some getting used to but it seems water tight and it is nice to be able to shoot in any weather or sea state without worrying about my precious camera. Overpriced for what it is but I couldn't find any cheaper options.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll investigate the links.

I have no intention of submerging the camera at all unless it's safely locked away in it's Amphibico cell.

It's just to protect the camera while filming beach action. As Nick mentioned in a post a while back many customer's like the surface shots too. I feel it gives a full impression of the 'day out' and a better memory when they're back home.

Where I work in Thailand the divers meet up on the beach in the morning. They and the gear are transferred from the beach by 'longtail' boats to the 'big' dive boats. Longtails are open boats big enough to hold about a dozen people and of course head out negogiating whatever sea is throwing itself onto the beach that morning.

It's here I need the protection. Some of the other guys work 'without protection but a couple of years ago my PC350 camera got a splash and now the flash doesn't work and a warning error flashes permanently on the camera.

Since I appear to be too frail to carry on filming with the camera in the heavy housing I'm just looking for sand and spray protection but the ability to get good quality footage. The same reasons Aussiejosho has.

The second camera option sounds great - maybe after a good lucrative season!?!

thanks again.

Simon

Not sure if you've been watching the prices lately. The small HD cams have dropped in price in the past year. The HV10 goes for $700, HC5 $800.

Simon are you sure you haven't been bent in your elbows? I've been bent a lot in my elbows in the past (was heavy into technical diving in the 90s) and the pain was not disimilar to tennis elbow. Elbows are often the first place that DCS hits and if you're shooting dailies then I imagine your diving regime and profiles are pretty aggressive. Pain-only joint bends are very commonly blamed on other things like muscle and ligament strains. Worth considering perhaps, especially if the pain starts within half an hour of a dive.

As for "rain covers" I had an EWA Marine rain cover for my small Panasonic camera. It was OK but over-priced. Now I have one by Kata for my Z1. It's great but also expensive. Check out Portabrace too. In warm climes all these rain covers tend to get steamed up inside from your own body.

Hi Nick

Thanks for asking. I have been checked out by doctors and so far the diagnosis have all been tennis elbow.

Consensus seems to be that the Ewa Marine option is overpriced. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check them out too.

Did you get your Kata from Bangkok?

I'll be in Phuket for a couple of days in September. If you're in town maybe we could meet up before I head down the coast.

cheers

Simon

Simon,

You can make a very effective splash guard / raincoat from clearview pvc sheet ( like they use on the rollup curtains on the boats ) for not a lot of money.

We have been using them as topside protection for our dailys for a long time.

Peter's method is a good one. At the end of the day these rain covers are really just a glorified plastic bag and you could fairly easily make one exactly how you want it. The EWA has a glass "lens" which adds to the cost. The Kata doesn't but is more "tailored" to the camera and has more openings etc..

Did you get your Kata from Bangkok?

The Kata came from B&H online when I ordered a number of accessories for my Z1 last year.

I'll be in Phuket for a couple of days in September. If you're in town maybe we could meet up before I head down the coast.

We're doing Bali / Bunaken / Lembeh for most of September. Where are you based usually?

Hmm not sure about my DIY skills but that's a good suggestion.

I'll get some raw materials and give it a shot. The manufactured covers do sell at a premium!

Peter, do you get a good fit with cutting, shaping and welding seams with heat or glue?

Nick I am based out of AoNang in beautiful Krabi.

Coincidentally the reason I'm passing through Phuket is to also get a flight to Bali. A 10 day trip to catch up with friends now running the Dive Academy on Lembongan and to hopefully go and hunt and shoot some Mola Mola.

No need to do it yourself - your in Thailand !

Take the camera to your local sailmaker/ tailor - explain what you want , or even better make a pattern and have them sew ( or plastic weld ) it up for you.

You can fit the lense through a fitted / elasticised hole at the front.

Remember every one will have a variation on the theme - you need to take the best ideas and adapt them for yourself.

Sponsors

Advertisements