donga

Members Buddy System

I looked at the members section and it doesn't divide us up according to location. Short of clicking on every member to find out where they come from, how can we contact other members in order to hook up for dives? Maybe a buddy system is worth discussing.

It just seems such a shame that there are alot of divers here with the same interests without knowing we may live around the corner from each other. Rather dive with a underwater cinematograhper than a spearo any day.

Donga :)

Edited by donga

Nice idea. This could be interesting in itself, seeing where most people are based. (I've always had the impression that the vast majority of wetpixellers are in the US, but I don't really know.)

Maybe some kind of zoomable world map, with colored dots you could click on and get a list of the members/participants in that location?

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

Yeah good idea froggy but who's gonna do it?

The rather slow response here is indicative of alot of scuba boards though - most just aint interested in finding a dive buddy because most already have them. The dive buddy dilemma is mostly an issue for new divers I find. Just in conversation with alot of people I meet who tell me they have their dive ticket but have not dived in years - why not you ask them? - because it was so hard to find someone to dive with is mostly the reply.

I think those who promote dive products and services owe it to new divers and diving as a sport to cater for the less experienced by assisting in creating opportunities for divers to interact on dives together.

It's not hard fellas. :)

It's not hard fellas. :)

Anytime you're up in the Northern Baltic or Bay of Finland area give me a shout.

timo

Ha, ha very funny. :)

I was thinking about those who may live near us but yeah, it may also be useful when travelling around the globe. :glare:

Ha, ha very funny. :)

I was thinking about those who may live near us but yeah, it may also be useful when travelling around the globe. :glare:

Well,

Contrary to popular belief, there are people living near me as well. :)

Not necessarily many, but there must be someone over there in Europe or somewhere...

Anyway, the idea as such is not a bad one. A Google mapplet populated from the WP user profile DB would probably do the trick. Privacy might be a bit of an issue, though.

And no, I could possibly not develop such a beast. Merely an idea, this.

timo

Dear Donga.

Just a suggestion - perhaps you can add your location to your user name - that would be a good start to letting everyone know where you are.

Your welcome to drop by for a dive any time your in Cairns.

We have many Wetpixel people stop by when they are passing through - there's always a cold one in the fridge or boat going diving.

I am sure their are local sites .. there is this international site http://www.divebuddy.com/

and when i learnt to dive i found hanging out at the local dive shop worked pretty good .. one weekend go and have some food and a beer .. meet some people .. then organise to go diving with them.

perhaps you can add your location to your user name -

Well, thats one suggestion but I see that not everyone is doing this. I appreciate the offer to drop by but when I'm in Cairns next - um may be never?

and when i learnt to dive i found hanging out at the local dive shop worked pretty good

Yeah but you don't want to make a nuisance of yourself and most new divers are a bit intimidated by the pro's at diveshops - besides, a dive shop idea of helping you get a dive is by going on one of their charters - pretty expensive way to do regular dives.

No, it's still better to know who lives in your area outside of dive shops. Anyway, my suggestion was designed to help others in the same situation and make available our locations on the members list system. Easy, simple and hassle free.

Great idea! This is something that I could probably whip up pretty easily. I've added it to the (long) list of features for the future.

Ive pondered before about having a wetpixel google maps where people can add their location to a world map. I have a google maps editor I whipped up myself where you can just click on a map and it will add a marker for that position. That way people can just use google maps to locate their position, click on the map, and voila. You could then use functions like 'show me everyone within X radius of myself' with links to send them a wetpixel msg. Ive not done anything of this magnitude myself, and my JS is very rusty. I also dont know IPB very well and if you can easily incorporate wetpixel member session data for authentication and storage of this data.

Would be a very cool visual community tool.

Cor

This would be nice.

It's too bad the quality of the scans on GoogleEarth is so uneven, or it might be useful to pull together data on dive sites linked to GoogleEarth coordinates. (Most of you probably know that GoogleEarth coords don't necessarily line up precisely with any paraticular navigation chart, nor with the datums used by gps systems, in some parts of the world.

Some of the most interesting places to dive here in Indonesia - Raja Empat, Triton Bay, Banda Sea - have only poor quality low detail scans on GE. Komodo is pretty good, and parts of Bali are OK.

(If you want to see where I was diving today, "fly" to Sanur, Bali, Indonesia and check out the slope on the outside of the barrier/fringing reef outside the lagoon at 8°41'47.54"S, 115°16'27.12"E. Saw a nice Ceratosoma gracillinum nudibranch,only the second one I've ever seen - the first one was at exactly the same place, same dive, possibly same rock and same slug - six months ago.)

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

Yeah but we don't need all that google stuff just categories in the database showing towns where we live with maybe our emails. We don't even need our emails just the ability to contact each other here online.

Sponsors

Advertisements