m.eppoliti

Sigma 105 v Nikon 105...Which should I choose?

I would like to start using a 105. I've done some looking around and I see that one can buy a new Sigma 105 for about half the price of a used Nikon 105. Is the Nikon so much better that it justifies the extra expense?

Any thoughts?

I'd look at the 105VR. Not so much for the VR underwater but the AF with manual override feature. All you need to switch to MF is a focus control on the housing. AF is faster than the old 105.

I second this opinion, Top side the economy would make sense, but underwater, autofocus performance is primary and when conditon prevent AF from working properly, being able to go from AF to MF can make the difference. I'm a big fan of the Sigma EX serie of lenses and i've (still) own quite a few over the years. Their 105 for u/w use, not the best choice if only from the need to commit to either AF or MF prior closing the housing.

Sometime the lens brand and design as minimal impact, in the case of macro, I honestly believe that having the best possible lens design does make a difference.

Go for the Nikon, same goes for Canon folks, i'd rather pay more and be satisfied than less and be fustrated.

I guess it depends on the housing you have, but with an Ikelite focus port and the non-VR Nikon 105mm, you can switch uw.

It does depend on the housing up to a certain point, we also can access the AF/MF selector ring on the older Nikkor 105, but in the case of the Sigma, it’s a push/pull design and I don't know any housing that has access for pushing the focus ring to select AF/MF on the Sigma.

Many housings maker offer a mean of selecting AF/MF on the older 105 Nikon, the new VR version obliviously is no problem due to its AF-S nature.

It's the Sigma we are debating and It might be that I don't know everything about my competition but for us it’s a no can do for this lens.

Sponsors

Advertisements