Hello

Does any person know about a strobe that one could fire manually. In Other Words a strobe that you can fire underwater at your command by pushing a button.

The other option is to know about a housing that houses a manual strobe where one can "test" fire the strobe underwater?

Regards

Seanseans@toshiba-sa.co.za

This may be a bit of a hack but - The Ike DS125's that I have will sort of do this. If you turn them on let them charge up then turn off and back on again then they dump.

This may or may not be of use - at a guess what you are at is setting up a stationary camera say in a cavern and moving about with a flash to illuminate during a long exposure?

Paul C

Don't all strobes fire when you short the ground and fire pins together?

If so, you could rig a momentary contact switch to do that. (making it waterproof and pressure proof is the tricky part.)

Use:

-a sync cord connector to attach to the strobe

-a water-tight, pressure proof box to house the switch

-an o-ring sealed button to activate the momentary contact switch (or if you wanted to get fancy, a cam activated reed switch would probably be easier to activate [very little pressure need to pull trigger])

-an o-ring sealed cord penetration in to the box

-pistol grip would be ideal (assuming you're hand carrying the strobe from location to location)

Take Care,

ChrisS

My old cheap Sunpak would fire when you turned it off. My Olympus FL20 in the housing has a button for the test which fires when pressed. However, my YS27DX doesn't seem to have a test fire button or a way to make it fire manually.

Hello

Does any person know about a strobe that one could fire manually. In Other Words a strobe that you can fire underwater at your command by pushing a button.

The other option is to know about a housing that houses a manual strobe where one can "test" fire the strobe underwater?

Regards

Seanseans@toshiba-sa.co.za

This may be a bit too basic for you, but the basic Reefmaster strobe can be fired manually underwater.

TED

You mean you can't just turn on your strobes and use them like a light? :ninja:

If you want a light then a torch is good? Why do you want to do this? Turn a torch into a strobe light. :P

Edited by donga

You mean you can't just turn on your strobes and use them like a light? :ninja:

If you want a light then a torch is good? Why do you want to do this? Turn a torch into a strobe light. :P

A strobe puts out significantly more light in a short space of time than a torch.

As suggested by Paul, multiple manual firings of a strobe can be used to illuminate a large area while the camera's shutter is left open.

I would think if you're going to use the strobe as some kind of light under water as suggested it would need to recycle very quickly. This might limit your choices to some very expensive hardware.

If my memory serves me correctly both the Inon Z220 and the Nikon SB105 have a test position which allows you to fire them manually.

Nikon SB800 in a Subal housing has a 'test' fire button that allows you to check for light meter readings, like the pro's do topside...

I use an SB800 underwater and for macro, there is none better... IMHO

Bruce

Sponsors

Advertisements