Sign in to follow this  

Lens Help

I have recently gotten into UW photography, though I have been shooting topside in one capacity or another for a few years – most sporting events, and wanted to know what I need to do in order to make this work.....I have done a test dive, in hindsight I should have used the pool first, and though I only used one a few lenses I own, a 50mm prime, I am a little lost because I could not focus on anything in AF nor MF.

This leads me to think that I may be overlooking some key equipment, such as a diopter, for this lens and the others I plan to shoot with. I know there is a difference between air and water, but this has got me stumped so if anyone uses or is familiar with the gear below, your recommendations will be appreciated.

Also, any recommendations on some good WA lenses would be great to, except for those listed below most of mine are a little too large to be placing inside a housing, and something tells me I am not going to be shooting a subject from more than 10ft away.

My equipment and lenses I plan to use are as follows:

5D

Ikelite housing and one DS51 strobe

Manual Controller

8†Dome Port

24-85 USM

50 f/1.8

24 f/2.8

Thank you all in advance.

Cato

If you were shooting the 50mm f/1.8 behind your 8" dome, the reason the lens can't focus is the dome's virtual image at 16" (twice the dome radius) is inside the 50mm's minimum focus distance (1.5' = 18").

A diopter (maybe +2?) would fix the problem with the 50mm.

Look at a 50mm _macro lens_ using a flat port. The standard 50mm is very limited for underwater use.

Your 24mm f/2.8 would be a great starter lens for underwater (close focus) wide angle since you have only one small strobe. (no diopter required, the 24mm's minimum focal distance is 9.6")

Take Care,

ChrisS

Chris is absolutely right. I experimented with a (Nikon) 50mm lens a while ago, and found it pretty useless. The two principles of underwater photography are: get close...

... and get closer!

The way to do this is to use a wide-angle lens, or even a fisheye behind a dome port, or to use a macro lens behind a flat port. Intermediate focal-length lenses sometimes work for fish photographs, but by and large they aren't very useful. A 28mm lens is an intermediate focal length on a cropped sensor, and not much better on a FF sensor. A +2D is often useful on intermediate focal length lenses.

Tim

B)

I am looking at getting a 20mm with a +2d....I am more of a fish, turtle, rays, and shark kinda shooter or have been with my P&S in the past....

Any advice on the 20mm?

Thanks.

Edited by e=me

I am looking at getting a 20mm with +2d….I am more of a fish, turtle, rays, and shark kinda shooter….or have been with my P&S in the past…..

Any advice on the 20mm?

Before you get the 20mm, learn how to use the 24mm (so, it becomes almost automatic: composition, lighting, strobe power, balancing strobe and ambient light, shutter speed, and f/stop).

The biggest difference between the 20mm and 24mm is you have to get much closer to fill the frame (and/or get larger subjects). Note: closer can be good (less water between lens and subject = better detail and color).

The 20mm might be too wide for shooting turtles, rays, and sharks. (they might not allow you to get close enough to fill the frame).

Get close (no more than 4'; more like 2 to 3'; This applies even with a pair of powerful strobes.)

Take Care,

ChrisS

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements