Sign in to follow this  
Kasey

Are Ebay users becoming more flaky?

So, per my prior post, I am cleaning out the closets and ebaying lots of stuff. My first two efforts yielded winners that flaked. One just didn't research the cost of accessories, and the appropriateness of the housing for his intentions. He was honest and actually reimbursed me for the selling fees plus a few $s. The next user jerked me around on the sale of my coolscan and has now disappeared. Is this becoming more common? I have never had these problems before. The third item I ebayed still hasn't been paid for - it has been over a week!

I didn't think I was unique in that when I win an auction I pay immediately!

I like to think that I am also one of those good ebayers. I only bought stuff from people with a good record, and so far so good. I’ve seen my share of odd things. I was looking for an ikelite 20D housing and found a ebay auction. I asked for shipment etc, and it was pulled. I later found that this seller did the same for numerous other auctions. He might be using the auctions as a lure.

Also recently, there was a guy also in the Netherlands that auctioned his D70 housing. I asked if he was willing to split up, because I was interested in the large dome port. He mentioned he had sold it, but he couldn’t withdraw the auction (which is not true, because he did that in the end). He offered the same set also on ebay Germany, which came to a sale, I am curious what his explanation was there.

Also, as a buyer, check your data on performance and price. I almost bought a first generation spyder where the seller insisted it was “just the same†as the spyder2. There are many offers on ebay where shopping locally is way cheaper.

Bah Humbug,

The last three things I bought off ebay cost me time and money. Although I had decent luck prior, i'm beginning to doubt it's really worth it.

First of 3 items was defective, but I didn't find out after I had been using it for a few weeks. When I sent it back to the manufacturer for repair they had to replace a bunch of internal parts that were the wrong spec., but after it still didn't work I ended up forking over the replacement cost.

Second item was just unlucky. The seller was reliable and honest, but the item was damaged by Fedex. It (a lens) is currently sitting with nps waiting Fedex to clear the estimate. I don't think I'll be seeing it any time soon and it's already been two weeks.

Third item was the worst. The shipper took over a full week to send the item. Then, against my explicit instructions they sent the item UPS to my PO Box instead of either UPS to my home address, or USPS to my PO Box. By the time it arrived, I had moved and will have to drive back to pick it up.

I've mostly been on the buyer side, and mostly had good experiences. Bought my E330 (Cameta camera - ebay storefront so not just a personal seller), a used 14-54 lens for it (from a personal seller - judging from the packaging on the lens he/she was a photographer for Glamour Shots somewhere in the midwest. :rolleyes: ), and more recently a used DS50 plus EV controller, which has been in the pool and verified to work fine at least there (ocean test is this weekend!)

I have had a buyer yank back a sale I was the high bidder on, for a full set of DS125s. He immediately relisted it with a reserve and last I saw didn't get the reserve price - don't know if the jack*** second-chanced it to the high bidder or not. I did not bid on the new auction - he'd lost any credibility with me pulling the BS excuse of a 'listing error' after waiting 9 days first....

So yes, some ebayers clearly are flakey - but I don't know about "flakier lately".

Edited by rtrski

Personally I only use eBay for purchasing used DVDs for many of the same reasons listed here….though, for selling I use Craigslist. I find Craigslist buyers more serious and I do not have to worry about fees if it does or does not sell.

I've bought and sold over 260 items but without much trouble but the last 3 older sony video cameras arrived not working despite the claim in the auction that they did work. It took me awhile to get most of the money back. There are some legitimate sellers on there with great deals. Cameta actually replaced a defective camera we had, no questions asked. If you're in a hurry to get the money, I'd just use craigs list.

I bought something through adorama on ebay and it had been flooded! But in the past i had great experiences even with expensive items.... $1500+

I think the best way to deal with eBay these days is to buy locally and pick up in person.

So, per my prior post, I am cleaning out the closets and ebaying lots of stuff. My first two efforts yielded winners that flaked. One just didn't research the cost of accessories, and the appropriateness of the housing for his intentions. He was honest and actually reimbursed me for the selling fees plus a few $s. The next user jerked me around on the sale of my coolscan and has now disappeared. Is this becoming more common? I have never had these problems before. The third item I ebayed still hasn't been paid for - it has been over a week!

I didn't think I was unique in that when I win an auction I pay immediately!

As a seller, I'm finding a bit more slow payers out there.

As a buyer, I'm finding slower shipping and items not quite as described.

I just bought a used Ikelite sync cord that I swear isn't the one in the photo - not even a cap included.

The item I hate to sell the most is a lens. If it's truly a 8/10, I'll say it's 7/10 just to make sure

that the problem buyer is happy. Grading is subjective but a thirty year old lens just might

have a cleaning mark or two and I state that in the description. Sorry to our friends in Hong Kong

but my experience shows the collector in the far east to be the toughest to please.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements