jab106

Camera Handling Underwater

Not the usual post about shooting technique or gear....

Would like opinions on best way to carry and stow a camera while underwater. My rig is not as complex as some -- a Canon point and shoot with Canon's underwater housing and a single strobe on a relatively short arm. I am sure a number of the experienced folks here deal with much more cumbersome setups.

1) I expect to have the strobe arm on the left of the camera, can use the arm for a stable grip in left hand while clicking the release with right hand...but that suggests that if I am generally holding the camera 1-handed it will be the left...

and

2) While not shooting, and if I want my hands free, where to clip/secure the unit? If clipping to the BCD is best while not shooting, where?

My concern is whether a wrist lanyard or similar in the left hand will be an anoyance/interference with BCD inflator/deflator, and if attaching to the BCD is a concern for interfering with potential weight belt release or obstruction to my octopus should it be needed.

What are your preferences?

JAB

To me holding it in the right hand looks more logically, in the left we have the inflator that as you wrote can be interference with the lanyard and I like to keep this hand free, as a right hand I put the computer on the left also so all the things needed to be operated or seen are there (gauge, inflator & computer) I assumed that for left handed it's can be less comfortable.

Personally I don't have this problem, with DSLR & two strobes the housing is most of the time held by two hands.

the best is to have your camera always in your hand! on safety stops or surfaceswims etc. you can clip it if you want ...

I used a couple of clips to attach it to the d rings across the chest. That way it snugs up to my chest pretty close, doesn't dangle and hit my legs. I usually only use a coiled lanyard from 1 d ring as I descend and ascend. The 2nd clip is used if I want to stop shooting and just enjoy the rest of the dive.

if I want to stop shooting and just enjoy the rest of the dive.

Maybe it’s my poor English but I didn't understood that sentence, it's not logic B)

Maybe it’s my poor English but I didn't understood that sentence, it's not logic B)

:blush: Okay so maybe its when your battery runs dead :blink:

Okay so maybe its when your battery runs dead

Wouldn't this translate into "end of dive"? But with current battery technology it could also mean "when you are well and truly bent"!

But with current battery technology it could also mean "when you are well and truly bent"!

... or that you are using live view ...

Sponsors

Advertisements