nachoman

Subtronic Midi vs. Inon Z-240

Hi,

I just came back from my camera shop with some serious doubts about my initial idea. For putting you in context, I just come from an Oly-5050 + Epoque 150DS (manual) and I just got a Oly E-410 on a Oly housing.

I'm planning on buying a new strobe according to the new camera. Despite I was not sure about the way of connecting the strobe to the camera, I was planning to buy a Inon Z-240...

but the cameraman, that had the Inon on stock sugested that the Inon was not going to be at the level. He was sugesting a Subtronic Midi, in theory, from the pure professional perspective. the difference in price, once counted the fiber optic cable for the Inon, exists, but it's not my limiting factor.

His comments were in favour of the Subtronic:

Much more power.

Wider coverage.

Full TTL compatibility with Olympus using "traditional" cable. Not need to use internal strobe.

Faster recicle time.

The cons is clearly the size and weight.

When making the numbers, I have the following:

Inon Z-240 + Fiber optic cable = 480 + 40 = 520

Inon Z-240 + Divervision TTL adapter + s&s2Inon cable = 480 + 92 + 65 + shipping = 680€

Subronic Midi (including cable to olympus) = 1000€.

Any comments?

I do need to take my decission in two weeks before leaving to the red sea unless I decide to go with the Epoque.

Will I notice a big improvement to any of these strobes from my current one (obviously on the TTL side, but I'm refering to power, light, etc).

Thanks again!

Nachoman,

I suggest you go to digitaldiver.net and use the strobe finder to compare these two strobes and you will find your comments regarding Subtroic Mini are off.

It has the same angle of coverage, less power, longer recycle time and a lot less flashes per charge than the Inon Z-240.

Tropical1,

Thanks for your post, but I'm refering to the MIDI model, and the comparison doesn't show any clear conclusion.

Any real life usage of both strobes? Will I miss power with the Inon z-240?

The Subtronic Midi is more powerful and has a wider angle of coverage than the Inon. but this is not the whole story. I have two Midis and both are now in for repair, this would not be a problem if Subtronic provided good service, but at the present time their service is atrocious, and I have no idea when they will be returned. Fortunately Ryan from Reef Photo has provided me with loaners.

All underwater strobes give problems; on every trip I have been on I see folks have problems with Ikelite, Inon, Sea and Sea etc.

Unless you have an unusual need for power with your strobes, I would recommend the Inons. The folks I know who use them are pleased with their performance, and they are great for travelling. I am thinking of getting a couple of Inons myself, even if I eventually get my Subtronics back. The Subtronics are awesome when they work, but if they are in for repair, unless you have a great guy like Ryan ready to come through, you're SOL.

Edited by loftus

The Subtronic Midi is more powerful and has a wider angle of coverage than the Inon. but this is not the whole story. I have two Midis and both are now in for repair, this would not be a problem if Subtronic provided good service, but at the present time their service is atrocious, and I have no idea when they will be returned. Fortunately Ryan from Reef Photo has provided me with loaners.

All underwater strobes give problems; on every trip I have been on I see folks have problems with Ikelite, Inon, Sea and Sea etc.

Unless you have an unusual need for power with your strobes, I would recommend the Inons. The folks I know who use them are pleased with their performance, and they are great for travelling. I am thinking of getting a couple of Inons myself, even if I eventually get my Subtronics back. The Subtronics are awesome when they work, but if they are in for repair, unless you have a great guy like Ryan ready to come through, you're SOL.

Thanks Loftus,

Do you believe it's worth to have the strobes hardwired by install the TTL adaptor inside the hotshoe?

are then, when they work, much more powerful than Inons?

Thanks again

I have the Heinrichs TTL but do not use it, I'm happy with manual, so I cannot comment on TTL

I do not know exactly how much more powerful the Midis are. I think more importantly, the Inons seem to be powerful enough for pretty much any situation. If anything, I usually turn my Midi power down to 1/4 or a 1/2 power for most shots

I haven't tried the Subtronics, but no doubt it is a more powerful strobe. It is also about twice as much.

Personally I use two Z240:s and have not yet had a situation where I've felt that the strobes are too weak or narrow, and I shoot quite a lot with the 10,5. Then I'm not a pro, but I know that several very good photographers who's work I admire, use them for all types of situations.

The Z240 works beatiful hardwired with the Nikon D200 and the Heinrich/Weikamp-iTTL converter, not sure about Olympus... but there is a OLY-version of the converter.

I've brought the Inons on a few trips to pretty hostile environments, but so far they have worked flawlessly. Seem to be very reliable. And recycle time is 1,6 seconds (according to Inon) with 2700 NiMH:s for full dumps. That is very quick to begin with. And many situations require less light, which will give you almost instant recycle. They are very small and nimble for travelling. Some complain they weigh too much UW, but for me it has not been a problem. You should also consider the light temperature. Some like to 'warm up' the lit subject with a lower temperature, like Subtronic or Ikelite have in their strobes.

/christian

nachoman,

i am also very happy with my inons. i use two inons with optical cable and the sTTL works perfectly fine for macro. for most of the WA i use manual.

no need to wire the inons. actually i see many people having trouble with wired inons (focuslight constantly on).

so basicly you could have 2 inons for the same money as the subtronic ... and the guy from the cam-shop will be happy as well :)

greets, serge

Welcome to the "INON strobes look different and are relatively cheap so the old big expensive strobes must be better" debate!

A pair of the older Z220s did this:

post-4522-1190287664_thumb.jpg

What more do you want?

Tim

B)

Sponsors

Advertisements