loligo

Stolen Equipment in Carmel, CA . . .

I just wished to offer a heads-up for those divers and photographers in the Monterey / Carmel area of Northern California . . .

On 5 September, while changing and hitting the head after a second dive at South Monastery Beach, I managed to have my car "professionally" broken into (with a slim-jim, it would seem from the window damage). In the span of less than fifteen minutes, two camera housings with strobes were stolen. Thankfully I was simply wet-testing one housing and managed to only lose one camera (with some great harbor seal shots -- damn it anyway). If my scuba equipment had been disassembled and not in the back seat, I am sure that that would have gone too . . .

The stolen equipment was as follows:

--Aquatica AD2x housing (with seven pounds ballast on the saddle)

--Aquatica AD200 with Nikon D200 camera

--10.5mm Fisheye lens

--Inon Z-240 Strobes with Sea and Sea sync cords

--TLC strobe arm

--Abalone float and sundry extras

Thankfully, all was insured (with DAN -- and they've been great. Whether I am dropped after that chunk of change remains to be seen), but what a huge pain in the ass. When I notified the Carmel Police, they suggested -- since I was in an unincorporated part of the county and at a state beach) -- that I contact the Parks Department. The Parks referred me to the Sheriff's Department since I was parked on the shoulder beside Highway-One and not on sand -- Parks territory -- twenty feet away. The Sheriff simply directed me to their online PDF theft forms and that was that . . .

Beware of the beach areas. I haven't had an episode like that in twenty plus years of diving the CA coast. Also, the prospect that I was being scoped-out while out for a dive leaves much to be desired . . .

There were some items not listed:

--Aquatica AD2x housing (with seven pounds ballast on the saddle) and macro port

--Aquatica AD200 with Nikon D200 camera with dome port

--Aqua-View Finder

--10.5mm Fisheye lens

--Inon Z-240 Strobes with Sea and Sea sync cords

--TLC strobe arm

--aged Abalone float and sundry extras

Ugh! That sucks! Sorry for your loss.

It's very reminiscent of diving in Hawaii where thieves watch the cars with binoculars...

James

Yeah, thanks, it does suck. I've had direct run-ins with thieves -- particularly in Mexico (there was even a broken nose involved -- not mine) and Asia, but not so close to home. Of course, no one saw a thing in Carmel . . .

Ugh! That sucks! Sorry for your loss.

It's very reminiscent of diving in Hawaii where thieves watch the cars with binoculars...

James

Send us the serial number and i'll put it on the radar,

Is there any particuliar marks, scratches, paint schemes (black or silver) etc. that would help identify it rapidly by a person (maybe one of us), never know where theses housing might end up, maybe somebody from the community will come across it at one point.

I will keep and eye out, even an Aquatica will need maintenance at one point in its life.

Send us the serial number and i'll put it on the radar,

Is there any particular marks, scratches, paint schemes (black or silver) etc. that would help identify it rapidly by a person (maybe one of us), never know where theses housing might end up, maybe somebody from the community will come across it at one point.

I will keep and eye out, even an Aquatica will need maintenance at one point in its life.

Thanks Jean,

The housings had no particular markings aside from their serial numbers and some name tags / labels, both of which could easily be removed. On one of the TLC arms, there was a metal tag (the type one engraves for a dog's name with my number on it). Otherwise, they had been on hundreds of dives al over the place and really no worse for wear . . .

By the way, Jean, how long is the wait for an Aqua-View Finder (heh, heh)?

The AD2x was 20049-029

The AD200 was 20051-051

The Aqua-View Finder was 20054-045

That sucks.

We've been told about problems at Lover's in Monterey/Pacific Grove in the past but never heard anything about issues at Monastery.

I would at least let Backscatter know the serial numbers, since they are the most likely local place the thieves could likely sell your items. Otherwise watch Ebay/Craigslist and try to identify your items.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Rinjani

Turn in the serial numbers to the police. They can go online and use "TIPS online" to check if the equipment gets pawned. Where else are they going to sell it??? He/she/they have 3 choices, Ebay, Backscatter, or a pawn shop.

Pawn shops have to hold items for 30 days before they can sell them, so hang in there. 2 of my stolen lenses were found this way at a pawn shop like 65 days after they were stolen. The thief held them for a while before pawning them...

Good luck!

James

Thanks. Yeah, I've been checking both eBay and Craigslist -- and Backscatter should have received the serial numbers for the missing items by now. The Sheriff's Department also has a listing of the equipment . . .

It was just so stupid. I always change right by the car near HWY-1. Why I chose 5 September to be overly polite to the other beachgoers and dress elsewhere is beyond me . . .

That sucks.

We've been told about problems at Lover's in Monterey/Pacific Grove in the past but never heard anything about issues at Monastery.

I would at least let Backscatter know the serial numbers, since they are the most likely local place the thieves could likely sell your items. Otherwise watch Ebay/Craigslist and try to identify your items.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Rinjani

Sorry to hear your story :angry:

Sucks that people have so little respect for others :P

I have also heard about thefts of scuba gear at the Breakwater in Monterey, I try to really limit what I leave in the car these days when I dive. Really a sad state of affairs.

I will keep an eye out for your lost gear.

John

Sponsors

Advertisements