Sign in to follow this  
Higgo

Camera Maintenance

Gday,

Just bought a second hand Canon A85 (4mp 3xOptical Zoom) and Canon Housing WP-DC30.

Just wondering how I should clean the housing and O-ring. Can I clean the whole housing in water, inside and out and just let it dry?

Thanks, Higgo

congratulations

I've personally never washed the inside of a housing, I'd be nervous getting so much moisture in there...

remove the o-ring, gently wash and dry it, being careful not to stretch it. clean the groove/area of the housing it lays on with a paper towel & q-tip together. lubricate the o-ring with the silicon grease that came with it, place it back in, close the housing and test the housing empty in the deepest water you can get to.

always have a dessicant in the housing.

hope this helps and makes sense, I'm sure others will chime in.

scott

Hi Higgo

I have an A85 and WPDC30 rig: it has given me numerous great results, so you will not be disappointed. Obviously you can clean the outside of the housing with water :) . I don't see any reason why you can't clean the inside as well, so long as you dry it thoroughly before use (beware of water droplets getting trapped in/on the control shafts).

The control shafts will be stainless steel, and the shaft tips are rubber, so these will not be affected by a little fresh water. The lock washers may not be stainless steel though, so there may be a small risk of rust on these.

Warm, mildy soapy water is good for removing salt deposits, if that is a concern. You can leave the housing soaking in water for a day or two if you like.

I have always given pre-used housings a 'no camera' test dive to at least 30m (approx. 90ft) with blue tissue paper inside (if there is a leak, the tissue paper goes dark blue and its easy to spot the colour change) just to make sure.

Have a close look at the O-ring when you service it, and also the O-ring channel on both parts of the housing. If the O-ring has any nicks, cuts or damage you should seriously consider replacing it. Most manufacturers advise replacing o-rings once a year. That may be a little paranoid and excessive, but for the price of an O-ring, its fairly cheap peace of mind.

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements