Panda

Photography mask

Is there a classic low volume mask that's good for through the lens viewing?

My Mares X vision is definitely not that mask.

What are folks using?

I have also the oceanic shadow mini in black...great mask for photographing.but sometimes I also have issues with fogging....need to put on this kind of detergent before diving, then it normally doesn't fog

Edited by buddy

1) Oceanic Shadow. Had one, but came back in millions of pieces from Thailand. Wife uses the mini Shadow for her smaller face. Frameless, single lens, very low volume.

2) Atomic Frameless. Nice looking. I replaced my broken Oceanic with one. High quality glass, but I prefer my old Shadow. Definitely bigger, but not high volume. Distance from eyeball to glass remains short.

3) Scubapro Frameless. Venerable classic. I compared side by side with the Shadow before buying the Shadow back around 2000. Slightly better side view with the Shadow.

Can't go wrong with any of these. If you need corrective lenses, then the frameless single lens designs are not for you. If you need corrective lenses, get the non-framelss Atomic.

I purchased an Atomic frameless first. Great mask, bit pricey, but sadly it didn't fit my face very well (the nose area just didn't seal well on me) so ended up selling it to a fellow u/w photographer here who now loves it (no leak issues).

I replaced it with a Oceanic Shadow and have been pretty happy with this compact mask. I do get the fogging issue as others mentioned and pretty much have to apply baby shampoo before each dive.

Same here....oceanic black shadow.......fog....fog....fog...fog...fog...fog too easy...must have been something in the silicon that was causing it.

End up smashing it. :)

Oceanic shadow with black skirt... Very low volume, nice field of vision, comfortable (for me at least) and looks good too. Needs to be thoroughly cleaned to avoid fogging in tropical water, but one time seems to be enough, since then I've managed with spit. Looks very good on divers in pictures, too. I do carry a more robust spare mask, however, since I've seen quite many in pieces. The strap attachment is a bit crappy too, I usually just switch to a neoprene strap and pre-emptively 'fix' the attachments with black hockey-tape.

//LN

Oceanic Shadow with black skirt - but it is a problem with fogging if I don't clean before each days diving. I use DIAO Washing Powder bought in Indonesia - it is the best mask cleaning material I've found and works just as well in Scotland.

It's a great mask and well worth the work.

Cheers

Jim A

I used to have a Oceanic Shadow .. loved it .. also had the Mini .. liked it too.

Never had a problem with fogging as I soft scrubbed it before use, spit worked after that.

I now LOVE LOVE LOVE my Cressi Horizon

cressisubhoriz.jpg

I believe the new version of it is the Cressi Penta same kinda design and comes with a black skirt.

The Cressi Big Eyes is still available which is exactly the same as the Horizon but does not have the side windows.

The reason I love this mask, HUGE vision, Low Volume, great fit (on almost 100% faces), easy nose access for equalising, you can get close to your viewfinder (low volume) as well as still see in your peripheral vision area for other activity.

Now some may say this mask is not low volume and in the strictest sense it is not a "Low Volume Mask" ... it is a very low volume regular mask.

If you are after low volume then get a free diving mask, don't even bother with the shadow.

The Freediving masks come with some great coatings on the lenses, one of my faves is an almost reflective coat that has a almost polarising effect, and even though it is obviously filtering light out which should be a bad thing underwater it actually seems to bring more definition and contrast on a tropical reef, more so than the pink lensed masks (which are awefull !)

After Thought : I have used side windowed masks before for UW photog, and hated them as they create glare. This is why most of us use black silicone. The Horizon I said I have does have side windows but they are convex like a fisheye lens and don't seem to create glare. (been in use for 5 years now)

Oceanic Shadow too... about the fogging I did everything to it, that it´s again manufacturer advise.. I burn it with a lighter, toothpaste it a lot, clean it with many detergents, but I discover that If I can wash my face and the mask before a dive, this mask never fogs.

Great mask!

i'm using the Apollo Bio-Metal mask. Most of the crew at my local dive shop uses this mask too. actually i think all of them do.

Biometal_Blue.jpg

It's really comfortable because the skirt is alot softer than other masks, and I've yet to find a face that it doesn't fit yet. the best thing i like about it is you get to choose the frame colour! reduces the chance of getting your mask mixed up. imagine finding 5 oceanic shadows on the dive deck! :)

Tried the Atomic ultraclear mask, but had trouble with maintaing a seal around the nose area. i had to keep pouting to make it fit, and since i'm not some hot babe in a white bikini, it looked really ridiculous. looks like it doesn't fit asian faces very well.

Look at an "Ocean Master" They come in various 2 and 3 window models. They have the absolutely best 'non-slip strap' in the industry. Also have excellant after sale support if you ever need a spare part or replacement lens.

re. Ocean Master ...

i see it has a purge valve ...

... anyone else actually find purge valves usefull ?

I find they cause more problems than good use myself.

Edited by Giles

I now LOVE LOVE LOVE my Cressi Horizon

cressisubhoriz.jpg

maybe so but it should be all black silicone mask B) otherwise you'll be in trouble with your viewfinder...

I've been using a TUSA VIEWTRACK black silicone for the last 3 years. Very nice.

re. Ocean Master ...

i see it has a purge valve ...

... anyone else actually find purge valves usefull ?

I find they cause more problems than good use myself.

I use a black Ocean Master with purge valve as well - I had never heard of the Ocean Master brand until I saw one at a dive shop in New York City while I was passing through. It's a great mask, you just have to make sure that you rinse the purge valve well after shore dives etc. I find the purge valve useful as I can purge out any annoying water without taking my hands off the camera.

Hi Andy,

I have half a dozen different masks laying around in the shed if you want me to bring them down next time so that you can try them all on in the water? They are nearly all new and the kids have been using them for a bit of splashing around the pylons at StLeonards...Let me know if you want to have a look,

Bruce

Try the TUSA Splendive 11 with black silicon skirt - low volume and really nice soft silicon.

Hi Andy,

I have half a dozen different masks laying around in the shed .....

Bruce

I'd love to try a few different masks Bruce, chuck 'em in the van next time you head this way. Can I tempt you this weekend? Surely the gales will have moved on by then.

HI,

I use the Atomic frameless in black expensive & takes alot of cleaning the lens

but worth it. May back up mask is thr Cressi Penta in black which is another great

mask.

Andy

I finally tracked down one of these Atomics in the Netherlands, but was disappointed because it pressed quite heavy on the part where my nose joins my forehead.

It could work out underwater, but i am not prepared to buy one that is already uncomfortable in the shop.

But maybe it is just me :-)

1554763671_17af0b5e8a_m.jpg

not that big a nose, I would say.....

Gerard

I'm currently using the Oceanic Shadow (lots of spit or Johnson's Baby Shampoo) and Atomic Aquatics Subframe with ARC technology. I LOVE the low volume Oceanic Shadow and am really growing to like the ARC. I'm not sure the ARC mask is worth the the full retail price. I have decided that I slightly prefer a single lens mask to one with two. I have noticed that I prefer a black skirted mask to a clear or see through skirt, especially if diving in shallow water when the sun is high on a cloudless day.

b

Edited by BotSO

Just got an Oceanic Shadow and it's excellent.

Still cant see full frame but it's as good as no mask...almost, and had no problems with fogging.

Air temp 16c, water 15c, shampooed and toothpasted before first dive.

The biggest improvement comes from the lower profile frame in front of the glass (or should that be non-frame) which clashes less with the knobs and plugs on the back of the housing. This means it's easier to move your head/eye around to take in the whole frame.

Had a nice look at your pictures. The oceanic is without doubt the smallest. Maybe that one fits better and is more comfortable (see a couple of posts back)

I did my first dive (shooting macro) with the Cressi Minima mask today. FINALLY, I can see through the viewfinder of the Ikelite housing. Before, I would have to actually move my eye from side to side to see what my framing was, now I can see the whole thing except for the very corners and maybe a tiny slice of the top or bottom. The great thing is that the right lens fits in between the 2 knobs on either side of the viewfinder, Before they would keep the glass away from the viewfinder, unless I really tilted the mask lens. The field of view is actually not that bad since the glass is so close to the eye. Much, much better than my Scubapro frameless- it's like I've got a new, bigger viewfinder!

Edited by scottleslie

Sponsors

Advertisements