videodan

New LED Lights from L&M

Anyone got the Sunray 1000s in the water yet?

I notice B&H now has the Sunray 1000s at $2,299.

L&M tell me they are no longer building the long "X-pods", the ones that run the full length of the Bluefin FX1. Which is a shame because I feel the full length gives more stability when the housing is laid on sand. But they will do an upgrade to an existing set of lights that has the long pods. That still costs $1,799 however, which makes it a very close decision to just getting a new set and keeping/selling the old ones.

There's a lot of talk about the 2000s but I think for many people the 1000s might be more suitable. I'm told it has 3 settings: Full, half and quarter, and that the half power is near the Elite's full power. In other words they're bright and of course they are cheaper.

Just get better halogens or HMI, Nick... :rolleyes: It's still the one to beat.

Nick did LM mention what the upgrade with your existing pods entailed, new LED heads and cable to your existing batteries/pods? It would seem since your not getting new (albeit short) pods and batteries the $500 difference between the two is a bit off. Would they return your HID light heads or is that part of the upgrade costs? I have been disappointed with them lately which is a pity since I liked my three previous LM housings. Thanks. John

The $500 difference is based on the B&H price for a new set which is $300 cheaper than list. So the difference based on list prices is $800.

L&M price list here

Sunray 1000 page here

B&H Sunray 1000 page here

For the upgrade you send in the pods and they change the bulkhead which has 3 pins instead of 2 so the head and pod can communicate.

I think you can keep your old heads but they won't work with the upgraded pods.

I don't know if the upgrade includes a new pair of batteries so I will ask. The latest batteries give 3000 mAH in the 10.5" pod length, which is the same as what the older 11.75" batteries for the FX1 pod gave. They are no longer making the longer FX1 length pods. I am pondering an upgrade to my longer pods and just packing the extra space if I get new batteries (which would be shorter).

Thanks Nick. That sounds like a good idea using the new shorter batteries in the longer pods, provided the burn times are close. If they change the bulkhead to 2 pins for the light heads would your old batteries still work. If so, at least you would then have spares (and could use your gorilla-pod tripod modification too). I have seen a few people using the new Bluefins and their battery pods stick out past the housing on the lens end which looks awkward. Lets us know what you find out. Thanks. John

Edited by biminitwist

John, I think they are talking about the "live" number of pins. So the older bulkhead has 2 live pins (plus 1 non-live) and the newer bulkhead presumably has 3 live pins. As I understand it the batteries themselves are all compatible with older and newer systems. I've asked L&M for some clarification and will let you know unless they post here themselves.

I got this from L&M:

The upgrade does not include batteries. The upgrade is two light heads and

the parts and labor for the pod modifications. Pod modification includes a

new bulkhead and new circuit board.

Yes, old light heads can be kept.

We'll have a Sunray 2000 upgrade also once we have determined costing. It

will be the same path; two new light heads and pod modification.

We have dropped our price on all batteries and our charger to $150 and $89

respectively.

FYI - The Sunray 2000s have three power settings like the Sunray 1000s, full

- half - quarter.

:D

I got this from L&M:

The upgrade does not include batteries. The upgrade is two light heads and

the parts and labor for the pod modifications. Pod modification includes a

new bulkhead and new circuit board.

Yes, old light heads can be kept.

We'll have a Sunray 2000 upgrade also once we have determined costing. It

will be the same path; two new light heads and pod modification.

We have dropped our price on all batteries and our charger to $150 and $89

respectively.

FYI - The Sunray 2000s have three power settings like the Sunray 1000s, full

- half - quarter.

:D

:)

Does anyone understand why the connector on the battery pod needs to be changed for a Sunray1000 upgrade (or why the Sunray 1000 has a different connector?

An upgraded pod would no longer work with an older, e.g. halogen, light head???

My understanding of the operation of the earlier battery pods, like the 35W halogen, is that they achieved multi-levels by PWM (pulse width modulation) of the battery. This would also work with LEDs.

Any insights???

Art99

As I understand it the upgraded pods won't work with your old light heads. No idea why there is an extra pin in the new connector other than "communication".

Thanks Nick. That goes along the lines of what I had thought. If you bought the lights from B&H I am curious what LM would charge just to modify your existing pods. I see their upgrade/modify cost include light heads in the breakdown from them. However many pins, they do look great but with LM turnaround time can be problematic. I ordered an HD monitor back for my Bluefin PD 100 (prosumer TR900) back after DEMA and was told Feb or March then April. When I asked again a few days ago I was told "Sorry it has a 10 pin connection and won't be compatable with your Bluefin". That doesn't seem the kind of thing it would take months to discover and it would have been nice for them to let me know spontaneously. Oh well, I'll wait to hear some more user reports on the lights. Thank you for the information. John

That's interesting. The last I heard the HD monitor had been shelved. Personally I've found L&M very responsive recently since I've been dealing with Paul.

Edit: Sorry I missed the "back" in "monitor back".

Edited by Nick Hope

Ha, that will teach me to post without sleep. Re-reading it, I also wrote it was our Sony PD 100, but it was the HD Monitor-back for our HC1/A1U Bluefin that they had promised for and now won't deliver on. I just felt after 3 months they could call me to say stop waiting.

Has anyone heard the "latest" delivery date from L&M as to when they expect to start shipping the Sunyray 2000's?

I understand they are behind the scheduled release date?

thanks

Has anyone heard the "latest" delivery date from L&M as to when they expect to start shipping the Sunyray 2000's?

I understand they are behind the scheduled release date?

thanks

I received by Bluefin for the HD9 and Sunray 1000's last week.

Haven't had it in the water yet though...

I got word, for those who are interested, from Joe at MarineVisions that the Sunray 2000's are starting to ship!

The Light and Motion housings for the HC-1 and A1-U are not going to be retrofitted for the new back plate that includes the HD monitor. A real shame this and I am very dissappointed.

Steve B)

Steve-

That's what we had mentioned above. I had ordered an HD monitor back for our PD 100 right after DEMA for a Feb-Mar. delivery. After several conversations with Trish I finally e-mailed early April to see when it was coming and received this: "I'm sorry to inform you that the new monitor back will not work on your Bluefin PD100 housing. The new monitor back uses a 10 pin cable to send the video out from the camcorder. The PD100 camcorder does not have a 10 pin jack and is not compatible with the new monitor back. The new 10 pin cable is necessary on the new camcorders and there are no other solutions for the new monitor back. I wish I had better news." I didn't think that would take months to discover but at least they could have called to let me know. As you said, disappointing. Hope we see you at film festival in August. John

Since it is just a matter of the 'pin' I do not understand why they can't sub one cams pin for another and still have it work. The regular monitor just does not cut it, even when it works correctly. Wrong size and poor resolution

Steve B)

Back on thread, yes the Sunray 2000's started shipping. Mine will arrive in a few days, so if anyone has any questions about the lights, go ahead and ask. I will dive with them on Saturday May 10, but might take them in the pool before that. They definitely have three power levels as opposed to the earlier specs. Other questions answered here.

Dan

Hi Dan,

When you get them in the water, can you take note of the buoyancy of the lamps and batteries ? Also the angle of the beam would be great to know.

Thanks,

Ron

so if anyone has any questions about the lights, go ahead and ask.

Hi Dan,

The most important and probably stupid question I have is regarding the price. Is the quoted price for one unit only or a pair??

It isn't clear from any adverts so the cynic in me says it is for a single :-((

Cheers

Roger

Edited by Roger Eve

Pricing is for the pair, including batteries and charger.

Edited by shep

I just opened up the battery pods of the Sunray Elites that I use with my Bluefin and one of them has seawater inside ;) This is the third different Sunray pod that has leaked on me over the years for no apparent reason. Not sure if my battery and PCB have escaped or not. Drying them now.

Also the control of my lights from the housing handle has never worked reliably. The 2 lights get out of synch, and often the right one just switches on and off instead of cycling through the 3 power levels. Now I usually just use the button on the battery pod to control them.

I hope the design of the new Sunray 2000 pods is more reliable. The 1000 is still using the same design as these I understand.

Nick,

I've had the same issue with my Pro lights and the left handle light switch. Sometimes it works, sometimes on only one light and sometimes not at all. I sent my housing back last week for it to be checked out and to have the new 2000s installed. When I mentioned to Paul at L & M about the light switch he asked me whether the batteries in the handle were good but made no mention of others with the same issue. My pods have never leaked however. I make sure to clean and grease the pod o ring before every trip and to wipe the inside area of the pod and cover whenever switching batteries. Being in Phuket, it must be a real hassle for you to have to send things back for servicing. It cost me $40.00 just to ship it a few hundred miles from San Diego to Monterey, Ca and pay for insurance. On the bright side, I did get 6 separate and identical emails, all on the same day but at different times, from L & M saying that my housing had arrived.

Steve B)

Sponsors

Advertisements