Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

Nexus D200 and 105mm VR, Port options

Hi All,

I am about to pick up a 105mm VR, and wonder about housing it. I dont feel like shelling out for a new port if i dont have to and i was wondering if it is possible to house it using my existing extension tubes and the front glass from the 60mm manual port.

I do this already with some of my other lenses, and wondered if anyone has the same setup and could try it out for me before i order.

I am not interested in manual focus at this stage, do i need to be concerned with the zoom gear inside the housing interfering with lens placement?

Cheers,

Simon

I have a Nexus D70 & am set up for manual focus, but all should be the same I think regarding the 105VR. I use my 60mm flat port, 40mm ext ring & 20mm ext ring. (With my old 105mm just the 40mm required.) The diameter of the VR is quite a bit larger than the old lens. The port won't pass over the end of the gear sleeve, but adding a standard 20mm ring pushes the port out far enough to give clearance in this area. You don't need the "custom" 20mm ring if you already have the normal one. You also need to replace the internal zoom/focus drive gear with one with a smaller diameter. Again, this is due to the larger diameter of the VR with gear sleeve. Nexus has the new gear. If you don't need manual focus you may not need the 20mm ring. I didn't check that since I need the gear. Just remove the internal drive gear if there is interference, but this might not be a problem either with no gear sleeve. (I set up for manual focus, so needed to change gears.) The nice thing about the VR is that you have instant manual focus without changing anything on the camera because the lens has AF with manual over ride. Just hold the shutter release 1/2 way down & you can focus manually. Release shutter to return to AF. Something to think about. You would just need the gear sleeve, smaller internal drive gear & 20mm ext ring.

Edited by jcclink

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements