Sign in to follow this  
Strmko

Selling images for diving resort

I do not know if I landed on right forum with my question:

Very luxory resort I had some nice dive with asked me for creating 20-30 images UW gallery for website use, brochures and other advertisment colateral. Actualy this was the firstst time I would be making such a work. I would apreciate any advise in terms of price I should ask for. An offer will be based on 20-30 images sold non-exclusively for unlimited use (webgallery, advertisement, flyers...).

All images shot with D200.

What should I ask for? Please advice.

Thank you

I do not know if I landed on right forum with my question:

Very luxory resort I had some nice dive with asked me for creating 20-30 images UW gallery for website use, brochures and other advertisment colateral. Actualy this was the firstst time I would be making such a work. I would apreciate any advise in terms of price I should ask for. An offer will be based on 20-30 images sold non-exclusively for unlimited use (webgallery, advertisement, flyers...).

All images shot with D200.

What should I ask for? Please advice.

Thank you

Hi Martin,

I've done a ton of resort photography for many of the websites I've created. I've learned a lot of the good, the bad and the ugly from my experiences with them. I consider myself a pretty good sales person and negotiator and in some cases have gotten more for images than what FotoQuote suggests.

BUT...

If you've already been to the resort, who paid for this? Did you pay your own airfare? Are they willing to reimburse you for your travel and lodging expenses?

You're pretty much giving up your copyright when selling images to a resort, even if you don't intend to. Unless the resort is owned by a large corporation, its unlikely they'll have any understanding or respect for the concept of copyright. You will find your images on every travel agent's website that sells that resort and you'll spend way more time chasing it than its worth.

You'll also find that resorts are very cheap. Even when you point out to them what it would cost them to contract a professional photographer to set up the same kind of shoot, they just don't understand what real talent is worth or the value of great photography. They always expect things to be done for barter and will always work that angle first.

If your shots are all underwater you also need to consider what they could purchase similar comparable images for on websites like shutterstock.com, istock.com or worst case, Corbis or Getty Images. Especially now with the seriously reduced price of royalty free stock for web use, the images will need to be pretty exclusive to get a good price.

Even if Seth Resnick were the world's greatest resort photographer, the prices listed on his site are waaaaay out of line with reality and I seriously doubt he has ever gotten that much money for a web image. $1744 for a button or icon on the home page? YIKES!!! If a resort would pay that, I would be a multi-gazillionaire living on my own private island in Fiji and I'd be having a great big Wetpixel party there right now. And this is not for lack of trying or because my images are not up to par. Dive resorts just won't pay that much money for photography.

You might ask the resort to make you an offer for the collection and see what they come up with. You can always offer them 5 or 10 of the 30 images for the amount they suggest, or propose a counter offer. You should definitely ask them for a return trip FOC. You really want to get as much as you can for your images, but if you walk away with nothing, neither of you win.

You're definitely in a position of negotiation. Figure out in your own mind what those images are worth and stick to your guns. Don't sell yourself short.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Bonnie

Total hobbyist rookie, but found I got more "value" trading trips for photos but then I was never asked for as many photos you have been. When we started talking money they lost interest. But for half the photos you have been asked for we got free or radically discounted trips worth +2k.

Edited by NWDiver

Guys, thank you for your opinions, which helped me ultimately to make a dacesion. Seth Resnick really seemed to my a bit too much for my work. Anyway, in fact it was the resort itself, who payed for the trip already. The reason was an advertising article in diving magazine. Now I offered them to create an UW gallery and suply images for marketing collateral. I still do not know how many images will be selected, but in case the price for them will come up to a half of the potential cost of another trip (including diving, meals etc.), I will ask for it. Otherwise I would not stay in the resort for this money.

Thank you

Martin

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements