Sign in to follow this  
xbonnie

Inon Z-240 or Sea and Sea YS-250Pro TTL strobes?

I am interested in purchasing a housing and strobes for the Nikon D200 to be used primarily for cave photography in North Florida as a gift for my husband. He wants the Hugyfot housing, but I am confused when it comes to strobes. I am considering the Inon Z-240 or the Sea and Sea YS-250Pro TTL strobes. I like the size of the Inon strobes, but have heard that they may not have enough coverage. The Sea and Sea strobes have better coverage, but are bulkier. Any suggestions including other strobes to consider are much appreciated.

Hi Bonnie

i was on the same situation as your 2 week ago...

i finally decided to buy 2 ys 250 pro instead of Inon 240z

now i can't be happier with it :)

the strobes are very powerful and when i'm shooting macro with it, the recycle time is ZERO.

the only problem with this strobe is WEIGHT

it's heavy >.<

... the inons are heavy as well. they have a low volume ... and so they are quite heavy under water.

or are you talking about weight on land?

Look at the thread about the strobe comparisons made by backscatter.com.

It might not give the total and complete truth, but definetely some guidence and valuable information. They are effectively killing the myth that the Z240 is a heavy strobe underwater.

I shoot a D200 in a Hugyfot-housing with Z240:s. Never used it in a cave, but I think they deliver enough light, also for a Nikon 10,5 180° fisheye in most situations (I haven't run into problems yet). A nice thing with the Z240:s is that they work beatiful with the Heinrich/Weikamp-iTTL converter, which you can have factory installed by Hugyfot.

good luck

Thanks everyone. I checked the backscatter thread, but am still confused about which would perform better in this specific circumstance. I am not too concerned about weight on land, but about the ability to manuever through a high flow cave with the strobes. Since many of the Florida caves tend to have dark walls, I'd also like him to have as much coverage/illumination as possible.

Even though the Z240 is conciderably nimbler, I can't really see that they would make a major difference in manueverability under water (the biggest advantage is when you're hauling equipment) - perhaps for extreme cave diving..?

The new Sea&Sea YS250 will give some more light than a Z240, so if brightness/manueverability UW are your only concerns, go for the Sea&Sea.

To be safe, buy them from a shop that deals both Sea&Sea and Inon – if your husband for some reason would preffer the Inons, he could swap...

good luck

/christian

I sure wish the myth about Inon strobes being heavy would go away. Hold one in your hand underwater and you'll know. Any lighter and they'll float off if you try to use them as a drop strobe.

I doubt there would be a significant difference between these two strobes from a drag perspective. Besides, moving inside a cave system is a slow, deliberate process.

... the inons are heavy as well. they have a low volume ... and so they are quite heavy under water.

or are you talking about weight on land?

Hi Serge.

i'm talking about the weight underwater.

My previous strobe was S&S YS-90 Auto (2 units)

with this strobe i never felt heavy underwater, and i can hold my Dx-D80 with a single hand while doing a macro shoot (without shaking)

However, when i'm using Ys-250 pro 2 units, i noticed the different a lot!

this strobe is a lot heavier compare to Ys-90 auto.

Now i'm having a hard time to shoot macro with a single hand :)

Andree

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements