Sign in to follow this  
rinjani

Tokina 10-17 and Ikelite 8" Dome

I am planning to try using a Tokina 10-17 with my 8" dome port. The Ikelite site recommends using the "super-wide" port extension (5510.10). I already have a 5510.16 extension (the standard one) and was wondering if I can use that with this lens or whether it's best to get the shorter one as well. Has anyone tried this lens with the "standard" extension?

Also on this topic, does this lens benefit from a +2 diopter? With the lens being so wide I would think any diopter would cause some vignetting of the lens. Does anyone use a diopter with this lens underwater and if so what type/size etc?

Any insights gratefully received.

Thanks

Rinjani

With the standard body it will vignette. Use the recommended body for it. This lens would not take any diopters or filters. Even if it could take filters or diopters it won´t benefit from them because this lens focus really close form subject and have very nice corners.

Hope this helps.

Thanks rodriguezfelix, you confirm what I was expecting to hear. I will just order the super-wide port extension.

Regards

Rinjani

hello, I'm new to the site and just came across this thread.

I've recently bought a tokina 10-17 lens but haven't yet bought the port (I also use an Ikelite housing). I am planning on buying the 8" dome, but wanted to check it was worth the extra money\weight over the 6" dome? Is there a noticeable difference between them? Please excuse the daft question - I'm very very new to this UW SLR thing!!

Thanks for your advice

Zan

hello, I'm new to the site and just came across this thread.

I've recently bought a tokina 10-17 lens but haven't yet bought the port (I also use an Ikelite housing). I am planning on buying the 8" dome, but wanted to check it was worth the extra money\weight over the 6" dome? Is there a noticeable difference between them? Please excuse the daft question - I'm very very new to this UW SLR thing!!

Thanks for your advice

Zan

I can't speak for the Tokina 10-17 with the 6" dome, but when I had my Ikelite housing for my S2, the 6" dome was undesirable for the 12-24 DX lens. The recommended +4 diopter made it worse. At the time they didn't have an 8" dome, and I ended up changing housings. My guess is you will be much happier with the 8" dome.

I can't speak for the Tokina 10-17 with the 6" dome, but when I had my Ikelite housing for my S2, the 6" dome was undesirable for the 12-24 DX lens. The recommended +4 diopter made it worse. At the time they didn't have an 8" dome, and I ended up changing housings. My guess is you will be much happier with the 8" dome.

Cool, I was leaning towards the 8" anyway so I'll stick with that then. Thanks!

Zan

I was very happy with the 8" dome and the 17-10. You do need the shortest extension and the alternate port locks. The dome didn't move underwater with the rotating locking system.

Rinjani

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements