Chris R

Where to start?

Hi,

Can anyone help? I am a reasonably experienced underwater DSLR user but would like to and need to (for work purposes), buy an underwater video camera system. Can anyone point me in the right direction as I know absolutely nothing about video cameras!!

I am looking to film students on technical courses, so a decent housing is a must, but I am clueless as to the desirable elements of a video camera..

Thanks in advance

Chris

Chris

I suggest you first read about the HD codec section to understand the newer formats, then do a search on some of the cameras mentioned there and read a few of the reviews. There are many cameras out there so recommendations will come from everywhere which won't help you much.

Also if you can provide what output you want the final product to be in (eg DVD, broadcast, web) and budget, it'd be easier for people to recommend based on those things.

Thanks Drew,

I will get reading about the new formats, as really I think thats where my great bewilderment lies!

I am mainly interested in using it for filming students whilst doing technical courses as I find this helps them enormously, and have a 'budget' of £1500 ish. I may make DVD copies if it is a particularly good

dive!

Off to find out about HD Codec??!!!

Cheers Chris

Chris

I suggest you first read about the HD codec section to understand the newer formats, then do a search on some of the cameras mentioned there and read a few of the reviews. There are many cameras out there so recommendations will come from everywhere which won't help you much.

Also if you can provide what output you want the final product to be in (eg DVD, broadcast, web) and budget, it'd be easier for people to recommend based on those things.

Hi Chris,

Regarding your budget is that total, for camera, housing, lights etc?

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

That was just camera and housing, no extras like lights or lenses, but I'm starting to realise even that may have been a little idealistic and I may need to add to that! Top whack is probably £2500.

Video cameras don't seem as cheap as DSLR's!

Argh!

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Regarding your budget is that total, for camera, housing, lights etc?

Regards

Jon

My thoughts and my concerns for you woul be: HDV needs light to get good results especially the cheaper HDV cams like the Sony HC (1, 3, not made any more) 5 and 7 need even more. The cheaper housing also are rated to 40 - 60m too which if your filming tec stuff I presume it will be fairly deep.

So due to low light, higher pressures and lower budget I think you will be a little disappointed with your results with HDV. I know that my little HC 1 is crap any deeper than 18m in reasonable vis. Macro with lights is ok but your not really doing that.

I would try and find a good 3 chip dv camera housing set second hand, there are a fair few knocking around on different forums / websites / shops etc.

Just some food for thought,

Jon

Edited by jonny shaw

£2500 ($5070 U.S.) would just about ($5157 + tax/shipping) buy a Gates/HC7 package with 5OW Greenforce HID lights from H2OPhotopros here in the U.S.

And the Gates is depth rated to 450'. (137M)

Edited by sjspeck

Sponsors

Advertisements