Sign in to follow this  
nachoman

Oly E-410 First impressions from an ex Oly 5050 user

Hi,

After so much reading, and as an ex-5050 shooter, I finally decided for the Oly E-410 mainly due:

Live-view

Lense quality on basic pack

Camera size

Housing ergonomics and price

I've been using this camera with a Inon Z-240 and fiberoptics.

You can see some samples at http://picasaweb.google.es/garcialegaz/RedSea2007OlyE410

Sumarizing:

Live view, while nice, it's not necessary. This was my main concern for not buying other brands, but considering the speed of live view and the rewards of using the viewfinder, the transition is a must, and after two dives you get used to it. It doesn't mean I love it; I still believe that better solutions in the future (faster and brighter) will swap the things again, but not now).

Ergonomics: it's just great. I was used to keep both hands to change the aperture, and now I manage everything with a single hand, shooter button is very accurate to focus, shoot .... The best thing is afer a while, you realize you don't use the buttons during the dive.

Speed: the combination of the flash and camera, with a large memory card it's just an amazing experience.

Quality: here is where I can't comment anything. I'm still getting used to the new pack and honestly I think I was taking better light pictures with my old pack.... but mainly because now I have more to play with. It's great being able to go to f22!!!

My conclusion:

Given the fact that liveview is not necessary, then buying Canon and Nikon are probably as good alternatives , specially if you need a wideangle lense. I'm not discouraging buying a Olympus. In fact, if I had to take the decission again I would probably take the same, mainly because the housing and camera size and picture quality.

I know that there are still many 5050 users jumping to DSLR..... so jump! It's great.

Edited by nachoman

Hi,

After so much reading, and as an ex-5050 shooter, I finally decided for the Oly E-410 mainly due:

Live-view

Lense quality on basic pack

Camera size

Housing ergonomics and price

I've been using this camera with a Inon Z-240 and fiberoptics.

You can see some samples at http://picasaweb.google.es/garcialegaz/RedSea2007OlyE410

Sumarizing:

Live view, while nice, it's not necessary. This was my main concern for not buying other brands, but considering the speed of live view and the rewards of using the viewfinder, the transition is a must, and after two dives you get used to it. It doesn't mean I love it; I still believe that better solutions in the future (faster and brighter) will swap the things again, but not now).

Ergonomics: it's just great. I was used to keep both hands to change the aperture, and now I manage everything with a single hand, shooter button is very accurate to focus, shoot .... The best thing is afer a while, you realize you don't use the buttons during the dive.

Speed: the combination of the flash and camera, with a large memory card it's just an amazing experience.

Quality: here is where I can't comment anything. I'm still getting used to the new pack and honestly I think I was taking better light pictures with my old pack.... but mainly because now I have more to play with. It's great being able to go to f22!!!

My conclusion:

Given the fact that liveview is not necessary, then buying Canon and Nikon are probably as good alternatives , specially if you need a wideangle lense. I'm not discouraging buying a Olympus. In fact, if I had to take the decission again I would probably take the same, mainly because the housing and camera size and picture quality.

I know that there are still many 5050 users jumping to DSLR..... so jump! It's great.

What housing are you using Oly PT-E03 or Ikelite?

What housing are you using Oly PT-E03 or Ikelite?

Sorry for the delay... Olympus housing.

Regards,

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements