scubafreak

Anyone using a Canon G9?

Hi

Is anyone using a G9 with the standard Canon housing? I am seriously looking at buying a G9 and housing. I am sure somewhere down the line I will buy an Ikelite housing but for now the G9 and housing are in my budget.

If you are using the same setup, please post some underwater pics as I would love to see what is possible with this camera in the Canon housing.

Thanks

Brett

Ikelite housing is now available.

I was intending to buy this set up but both the Canon & Ikelite housing does not allow the attachment of Inon AD lens. this was the deal breaker for me. Ikelite short port allows attachement of 67 threaded lens only.

my next camera will definately be suitable for the Inon UFL.

Not see any underwater shots from G9 but the G7 was impressive, especially video ability.

I was intending to buy this set up but both the Canon & Ikelite housing does not allow the attachment of Inon AD lens. this was the deal breaker for me. Ikelite short port allows attachement of 67 threaded lens only.

Not see any underwater shots from G9 but the G7 was impressive, especially video ability.

I am going with the G-9 with Ikelite...what did I miss with respect to the Inon AD lens?

wil I be able to add close up lenses in addition to the wide angle Inon that I am getting..?

Received the following from Ikelite this week. Hope this helps

"Tim,

We are working on an adaptor to attach bayonet mount lenses onto the large 3" ports, like the G9 housing has. Check back in 2-3 weeks.

Regards, Brett Foster - Ikelite

Hi Tim,

Keep us posted about this would you?

Cheers,

Ry.

Hi,

I recently started using my G9 underwater with the standard WP-DC21 Canon housing. Previously I had been using an Canon IXUS 500. Although I have only taken two dives with the G9 setup, I have been rather disappointed with the results thus far - I had taken much better pictures with my old IXUS 500. Some of the issues I have encountered are:

- trouble focusing

- major banding problems (esp in the shadows)

- lack of sharpness (could be due to the focusing)

- shutter lag

Unfortunately at this the stage I can only positively comment on macro (non moving objects) and the video quality is fantastic (the image stabilization really works well).

By the way, I use a Inon D2000S strobe with the G9. I'll be interested to hear other peoples comments on the G9.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dom

Edited by Wetpants

Received the following from Ikelite this week. Hope this helps

"Tim,

We are working on an adaptor to attach bayonet mount lenses onto the large 3" ports, like the G9 housing has. Check back in 2-3 weeks.

Regards, Brett Foster - Ikelite

Sure thing...

More (not good) news from Ikelite...

"Tim,

We tested the prototype adaptor and it does not work well with the AD or 28 AD mount lenses.

You will need a 67mm threaded accessory lens such as the Ikelite W-20 #6420 that attaches directly to the housing port, since the bayonet mount lenses do not work with the G9.

Regards,

Brett

Brett, will the new adaptor be for the Inon AD and / or 28AD mounts? Thanks, Tim"

And some disappointing information from Inon. Does anyone have any direct experience with the G9 and W/A glass...

"...The Canon G9 is a great digicam however, with its extra wide zoom range (35mm-210mm), wide angle conversion lenses are not practical. This is because the master lens on the G9 (as in all digicams) needs to be set at it’s widest zoom setting to achieve optimum imaging. If the G9 is set at it’s widest zoom setting, the conversion lens will vignette (be seen in the image). If you zoom in to eliminate the vignetting, the master lens has to physically travel a significant distance. In doing so, there will be no benefit in using a wide angle conversion lens because the underwater angle of coverage will not be much different that shooting the G9 at it’s widest setting using no wide angle conversion lens.

With all this said, the G9 Ikelite housing does have a 67mm threaded port and Ikelite does have an AD bayonet adapter for INON lenses however, there is just no wide angle advantage with this camera/housing combination in attaching said lenses. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

And some disappointing information from Inon. Does anyone have any direct experience with the G9 and W/A glass...

"...The Canon G9 is a great digicam however, with its extra wide zoom range (35mm-210mm), wide angle conversion lenses are not practical. This is because the master lens on the G9 (as in all digicams) needs to be set at it’s widest zoom setting to achieve optimum imaging. If the G9 is set at it’s widest zoom setting, the conversion lens will vignette (be seen in the image). If you zoom in to eliminate the vignetting, the master lens has to physically travel a significant distance. In doing so, there will be no benefit in using a wide angle conversion lens because the underwater angle of coverage will not be much different that shooting the G9 at it’s widest setting using no wide angle conversion lens.

With all this said, the G9 Ikelite housing does have a 67mm threaded port and Ikelite does have an AD bayonet adapter for INON lenses however, there is just no wide angle advantage with this camera/housing combination in attaching said lenses. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

With the G7 (same lens as the G9 I presume) and a short port on the Ikelite housing + an UWL-100 you don't get any vignetting at widest zoom (ok, perhaps a few pixels occasionally but it's pretty much negligible)..

Thanks Blimbo. That's encouraging to know. Thinking about it more since posting my last, the G9 has a fairly long focal length at the W/A end of the zoom. Wouldn't that tend to reduce the likelihood of vignetting rather than give rise to it?

Thanks Blimbo. That's encouraging to know. Thinking about it more since posting my last, the G9 has a fairly long focal length at the W/A end of the zoom. Wouldn't that tend to reduce the likelihood of vignetting rather than give rise to it?

I was under the impression that the vignetting arises primarily from the relative positions of the converter and the camera's lens. I don't have a G9 or G7, but on my S70, when in wide angle mode, the lens is fully retracted, and when in telephoto mode, the lens is fully extended. I assume the same applies to the G9/7. With the long telephoto end of the G7 and G9, the lens extension is comparitively longer than on P and S cameras with less telephoto zoom, thus the port has to be longer to accommodate the lens. This results in the converter being positioned further from the camera lens (when it is wide angle mode) than intended when designed, and thus vignetting arises.

Perhaps this is entirely wrong, or an over-simplification?

I was under the impression that the vignetting arises primarily from the relative positions of the converter and the camera's lens. I don't have a G9 or G7, but on my S70, when in wide angle mode, the lens is fully retracted, and when in telephoto mode, the lens is fully extended. I assume the same applies to the G9/7. With the long telephoto end of the G7 and G9, the lens extension is comparitively longer than on P and S cameras with less telephoto zoom, thus the port has to be longer to accommodate the lens. This results in the converter being positioned further from the camera lens (when it is wide angle mode) than intended when designed, and thus vignetting arises.

Perhaps this is entirely wrong, or an over-simplification?

Yes this is all true but if you go for an Ikelite housing (G7/9) you can get a short port. This reduces the ability to zoom - i think you can only zoom half as much - but results in the conversion lens being much closer than it would be using the long port, which means vignetting doesn't occur. See some of my pics in my thread about the G7/short port/UWL-100.

I'll post the link when I get back from my first trip using the G9 & Ikelite housing. We'll be diving in Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize & Cozumel the first week in April. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

I've used a G2 & Ikelite housing with just the on camera flash for the last several years. If you like, you can see them posted at www.pbase.com/dougsturgess or www.pbase.com/dougsturgess/travel

I did read on another forum that someone using the G9 underwater had blurry pictures if the image stabilization feature was left on. Has anyone else experienced this? I was hoping the image stabilization would help underwater.

Don't think it'd make a difference really. More likely they've got blury images because they're not using enough light and/or slow shutter speeds.

Hi

Is anyone using a G9 with the standard Canon housing? I am seriously looking at buying a G9 and housing. I am sure somewhere down the line I will buy an Ikelite housing but for now the G9 and housing are in my budget.

If you are using the same setup, please post some underwater pics as I would love to see what is possible with this camera in the Canon housing.

Thanks

Brett

Underwater shots with G9/Canon Housing/S&S YS 27 & YS 15 from Antigua

This was my first dive trip with my own camera and I was very happy with the results.

Hi I am looking at getting a g9 canon housing. Would you recommend this for underwater photography, as the ikelite is no longer available, even on ebay? I am fairly new to underwater photography, having used a panasonic fx35 before, and am looking for advice on new kit. Also what kind of results do you get with the g9 without a strobe? (budget is not very high!) Thanks

Hi

Thanks

Brett

Dude, the G9 is an awesome prosumer camera for UW Photography. I am finally selling mine (will post soon) after recently buying a 7d but have loved the G9 for the past 4 years. It's what I learnt to take UW photos with. It has a great lese for macro and with a WA lense can do some reasonable WA. One of the great things about the Point and Shoot cams which I'm sure you know is the interchangeable wet lenses, you can be photographing a Nudi one minute and if a turtle or shark floats by you can simply change to a WA lense and start shooting

Below are some photos from lembeh and Tulumben I took last year on the G9

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets

Kyle

Dude, the G9 is an awesome prosumer camera for UW Photography. I am finally selling mine (will post soon) after recently buying a 7d but have loved the G9 for the past 4 years. It's what I learnt to take UW photos with. It has a great lese for macro and with a WA lense can do some reasonable WA. One of the great things about the Point and Shoot cams which I'm sure you know is the interchangeable wet lenses, you can be photographing a Nudi one minute and if a turtle or shark floats by you can simply change to a WA lense and start shooting

Below are some photos from lembeh and Tulumben I took last year on the G9

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets

Kyle

My G9 Set-up now loaded in the classifieds;

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43640

Sponsors

Advertisements