Sign in to follow this  
easydiver

Canon G9 vs Nikon 5100 vs DX-1g

Hello Everyone,

I'm in a quandary about which system to upgrade to and was hoping someone (actually lots of someones) had experience and/or opinions they would be willing to share.

I've been into UW photography for many years starting with my 35 mm MMII. It was a great workhorse and served very faithfully until its motor finally died and I replaced it (unfortunately without a lot of research) with a Sea & Sea DX3000G (Ricoh 3 mp camera). I've been unhappy with my results (few controls and poor metering) with this system essentially since I got it. Now I've finally decided to upgrade and I'm fairly lost.

Canon G9 or Nikon Coolpix 5100, in an Ikelite housing with dual strobes and wide angle lens. Alternatively I'm also looking at the DX-1G with dual strobes & wide angle.

I'm also open to other ideas and seriously have considered the D80 but that's just a bit overwhelming technology and cost.

I dive primarily in the Pacific Northwest (drysuit and dry gloves) but usually take a tropical (yeah naked hands!) dive trip annually.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

Hi Brian, it seems as though you are going through a similar dilemma...

I am about to upgrade from a S&S 8000G and 2 x YS-25s and immeadiately considered the DX-1G which is of course, a rebranded Ricoh.

Having handled the G9 there is no contest and with an Ikelite housing and an Inon AD adaptor the suite of Inon AD lenses (close up, wide angle and fisheye) become available with bayonet mounts.

I have to say that I am very generally happy with the 8000G (now discontinued) aside from the long on board flash recycling time (15 sec if shooting at 64 asa).

Hope this helps in some small way.

I would easily recommend the G9 over your other choices...

Scott

i do not think you will be able to use the Inon AD series with the G9 Ikelite housing.

The short port allow addition of the 67mm Inon series only.

I have been toild the AD series will produce lots of blurring resulting in having to zoom in which defeats the purpose of the Wide lens.

This has put me off buying the G9.

i do not think you will be able to use the Inon AD series with the G9 Ikelite housing.

The short port allow addition of the 67mm Inon series only.

I have been toild the AD series will produce lots of blurring resulting in having to zoom in which defeats the purpose of the Wide lens.

This has put me off buying the G9.

Hi Kevster, Brett at Ikelite told me that they are soon to release an Inon AD adaptor for the 3" port housings, i.e. the G9.

Dosn't the Ikelite wide conversion lens (UWL-100) share the same glass whether AD or 67mm? I havn't heard about this lens blurring when zoomed or do you mean UWL-105 AD?

I expect it could be happen if the Dome Unit was attached to a UWL-100 of if the fisheye (UFL-165 AD) was zoomed. Grateful to hear if anyone has first hand experience of these lenses.

I am looking to replace my Oly SP-350 with something that has a longer battery life. The Oly with two 2500 mAh AA's last about 20 min underwater.

I'm considering the Nikon 5100 as it has TTL, but the battey is rated only at 1100 mAh. Anyone have any experience with this?

Are the other cameras TTL?

The Irishman

Orlando, Fl

I am looking to replace my Oly SP-350 with something that has a longer battery life. The Oly with two 2500 mAh AA's last about 20 min underwater.

I'm considering the Nikon 5100 as it has TTL, but the battey is rated only at 1100 mAh. Anyone have any experience with this?

Are the other cameras TTL?

The Irishman

Orlando, Fl

Get the RCR-V3 batteries for your SP-350. It lasts apprx 3 dives (45mins each dive)...Mine does..

Or you can just use the batteries excuse to upgrade to a new toy..:D...cheers!!

Hi easydiver

im currently using the coolpix p5000 (very similar to the p5100) in the ikelite housing with inon strobes and inon 67mm ad on lenses.im quite happy with the p5000 underwater and am getting some nice results , the p5000 produces nice blues when shooting wide angle , colors seem natural . macro peformance is very good using the stacked inn ucl 167 lenses .

here is a link to my p5000 shots , why not track down some g9/g7 shots and compare for your self.

http://flickr.com/photos/8825200@N08/

there doesent seem to be a lot of p5000 underwater shooters out there , im not shure why .

i also looked at the g7/g9but have no experence with underwater shooting. i think its advantage is it has better macro peformance(1cm) without macro ad on lenses. there are some users getting nice results with this set up also.

sea&sea 1g looks promising but i have not seen any shots taken underwater with it , if its image quality was good i think it would be my pick . wide lense even without an adaptor , good 1cm macro . compact .

Hi flirishman batt life on the p5000 is ok when using the sync cable(not flash) to fire strobes i usually get 2 dives then change batt,

regards

matt

Edited by jugglematt

I picked up some CR-V3 rechargeables for my SP-310 on eBay. The cost for two lithium batteries, charger nd shipping was about $18. These batteries far outporm the NiMH on my Olympus.

As for these new cameras, I'd also pick the G9. I really like Canon's menus and button layout. Of the major brands, theirs typically are amongts the least overprocessed files. The replacement flat port, plus an Inon 67mm with dome would make a dangerous system.

I concur with the CR-V3 format batteries in the SP-350. They last at least 3 long dives, where the AA format batteries run out very quickly.

If I was buying today, I would be seriously looking at the G9 in the Ikelite myself.

Vic

Edited by Texas diver

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've decided upon the Canon G9, Ikelite housing with 67 mm adapter port, dual DS-125 strobes, Inon WA lens. I'm considering adding the Inon CU lens.

Now just the fine tune as to what arm sections or just start with the Ikelite SA-100 set up and go from there. I think I'll get at least an Inon arm section to hold the WA lens carryier so I have someplace safe to put the lens when not in use.

Anything I'm missing?? My wife thinks I've become obsessive so I'll need to decide and purchase quickly before she changes her mind!! B)

Brian

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've decided upon the Canon G9, Ikelite housing with 67 mm adapter port, dual DS-125 strobes, Inon WA lens. I'm considering adding the Inon CU lens.

Now just the fine tune as to what arm sections or just start with the Ikelite SA-100 set up and go from there. I think I'll get at least an Inon arm section to hold the WA lens carryier so I have someplace safe to put the lens when not in use.

Anything I'm missing?? My wife thinks I've become obsessive so I'll need to decide and purchase quickly before she changes her mind!! B)

Brian

hi Brian

i would also consider the ikelite short port for the G9(allows for full use of wide lense) and slightly limits cameras ability to zoom. reduces fringing seen on outside of pics.

arms ... i really like the ultralight arms , the inon WA carrier fits on ok , many members here use the ultralight system and love it . you could buy a ike baseplate and then have ultralight arms or go ultralight baseplate arms and everything . the ultralight arms have a oring on the Ball which makes adjustment easier . i suggest using a few smaller arm segments instead of one long segment , this allows for greater flexability in movement , Yuzo in Japan (just google him) sells all the inon /ultralight stuff you will need at a great price .

im shure you will do well with this setup ,best of luck

matt

hi Brian

i would also consider the ikelite short port for the G9(allows for full use of wide lense) and slightly limits cameras ability to zoom. reduces fringing seen on outside of pics.

arms ... i really like the ultralight arms , the inon WA carrier fits on ok , many members here use the ultralight system and love it . you could buy a ike baseplate and then have ultralight arms or go ultralight baseplate arms and everything . the ultralight arms have a oring on the Ball which makes adjustment easier . i suggest using a few smaller arm segments instead of one long segment , this allows for greater flexability in movement , Yuzo in Japan (just google him) sells all the inon /ultralight stuff you will need at a great price .

im shure you will do well with this setup ,best of luck

matt

If you get the Ike short port for the G9, what exactly happens when you zoom out to max? Does the lens smack against the housing which over time might do some damage to one or the other?

JP

If you get the Ike short port for the G9, what exactly happens when you zoom out to max? Does the lens smack against the housing which over time might do some damage to one or the other?

JP

I examined the Ikelite housing and short port today. When at 2/3 to 3/4 zoom (contact is made with the port) the camera shuts down and can be restated without any problem. With the UWL-100 in place there is very slight vignetting. The dealer (Cameras Underwater) assured me this would disappear underwater. I parted with my cash...

I've gone ahead and ordered the G9, ikelite housing, dual DS125 strobes, Ultralight arms, and Inon WA lens. All that's left is to see if I can actually take any decent pictures with the rig.

Thanks for all the advice everyone posted.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements