freediver

Air travel with Video Housing Question

Since I'm heading off to Orlando for DEMA next week, I have the opportunity to get some shooting time in while freediving the friday of DEMA.

This will be the first time I'm having to look at how to travel by air with my L&M Bluefin housing.

I'm perplexed to say the least as to the best method of getting there with my housing & cameras. :D

I have a full sized Tenba P265 Photo Backpack that holds my two TRV950's plus all my accessories and laptop. I had thought about trying to carry the housing in that since I was able to remove the handles with the spanner wrench, but it's an awful tight fit and I also need to take my long blades with me in my freedive bag as a second carry on since they don't fit into a standard size dive bag or suitcase.

The only option I have come up with so far is to use my roller scuba dive bag as my suitcase and place the L&M custom Pelican case inside that with a small change of clothes, but I'm concerned about whether some baggage handler would decide they wanted to walk away with my housing.

I need some advice as the how to travel with my housing.

TIA,

How strict is carry-on weight in the USA? In the UK now they are totally strict on 7kg. You might have no choice but to check the housing in.

If you can take even more carry-on than you're already taking then maybe you could just carry the housing totally bare and take good care of it.

If you really have to check it in then my preference these days is to avoid Pelican cases and just use normal suitcases which are much less appealing to thieves and nosey/greedy security/customs officials. You can possibly put the foam from your Pelican into a suitcase.

I put my housing and tapes (green case) in a UK housing (large gray case) which I pack inside of a suitcase. I also pack my batteries (black case), chargers (yellow case), spare parts - hoses - tools - etc (soft blue bag), and my fins in the same suit case. Finally I threw in a couple of light wetsuits just to add filler. It all comes to 68.5 lbs. I placed a copy of the instructions for the housing and lens on top of the housing, in case the TSA didn't know what it was. I use a TSA lock on both the gray case and the suitcase. TSA got into the suitcase, but never opened the gray case to look at my housing. I wanted to lock it just so I would know if the TSA played with my housing. :D

GrayUKHousing.jpg

LargeBlackBag2.jpg

Edited by Mini Dive

The only option I have come up with so far is to use my roller scuba dive bag as my suitcase and place the L&M custom Pelican case inside that with a small change of clothes, but I'm concerned about whether some baggage handler would decide they wanted to walk away with my housing.

I need some advice as the how to travel with my housing.

TIA,

I did something similiar to Mini Dive.

I think that's probably your best bet. On my last trip transiting through various parts of the USA, I had a DLSR full setup in a Pelican case (my video setup is small so I could fit it all in my carryon backpack). I then just bought a cheap non-descript $25 rolling duffle bag to put the Pelican inside with some extras soft items that didn't fit into my dive bag.

I had both the Pelican and duffle bag locked up. I don't think TSA went through them. They did break open a lock on my dive bag as I suspect my HID canister battery and the odd Costa Rican coffee tree sculpture gift I was bringing back looked awfully suspicious.

Edited by pakman

A recent trip to the Maldives had me wondering the same thing - in the end I just shipped the pelican case and housing as is and it was fine - or good luck! I was covered by my business insurance though (for camera kit and shooting etc), Lucky I did have insurance as I made a REALLY stupid mistake - in the hurry to get everything packed, I left the camera plate and XLR connector in the housing - the XLR connector (nice heavy metal plug) was loose and in transit, hit the inside of the lens (80 degree) many times, resulting in a load of scratches, thereby writing the lens off!!!!! There may be some chance it can be professionally polished out but I'm really looking at a new and expensive lens - or rather an insurance claim.

Sponsors

Advertisements