Spacker

Housing maintenance / servicing?

have a Gates FX1/Z1 housing - it doesn't need a good official seeing to just yet but noticing the one of the control levers was a tad sticky I've stripped it down and given a good thorough cleaning. Before i reassemble all the gubbins I was curious as to exactly what grease is used on the control rod o-rings - it's been suggested silicon but from experience of using that on ports etc I can't see it lasting. The original was denser and more "robust". Anyone?

DISCLOSURE: I work for Gates Underwater Products

Greetings,

You can use any silicone based lubricant on the controls. The type we use at the factory is lighter (not greasy) and will not collect dirt or foreign matter. It also readily lubricates the o-rings inside the glands. It does, however, require more frequent re-application in the field.

I do not recommend disassembly to lubricate the controls. Application of the lubricant to the control shaft is sufficient. When you do so rotate and pull the control in/out and it will move freely.

Call or write use directly if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

John

have a Gates FX1/Z1 housing - it doesn't need a good official seeing to just yet but noticing the one of the control levers was a tad sticky I've stripped it down and given a good thorough cleaning. Before i reassemble all the gubbins I was curious as to exactly what grease is used on the control rod o-rings - it's been suggested silicon but from experience of using that on ports etc I can't see it lasting. The original was denser and more "robust". Anyone?

You can use any silicone based lubricant on the controls. The type we use at the factory is lighter (not greasy) and will not collect dirt or foreign matter. It also readily lubricates the o-rings inside the glands. It does, however, require more frequent re-application in the field.

Johne I was hoping you'd reply. Thanks very much for the information. Is there a gates branded lube available?

Sponsors

Advertisements