anthp

Honeymoon - HELP??

I just got back from the Seychelles, not the best diving but you could combine it with a safari or diving trip to Africa if you have the time.

If you are curious, i'd recommend Praslin and La Digue if you want a nice atmosphere and some stuff to do other than diving. Mahe is not a place to stay for long. Many of the islands have endemic wildlife (mainly birds) so if you like topside photography it could be interesting for you.

If you want something super fancy try www.north-island.com - more expensive but everything is included: a winelist of 40 wines, diving , awesome food and your own golf buggy to get around the private island. You can choose where they setup dinner for you etc, so you can eat on your own secluded beach.

Not the best diving, but bluewater and probably your own private guide, being able to do what you want is sometimes better than seeing great stuff but being in a group of 20.

Turtles should still be laying and the Giant Tortoises roaming free on the island are interesting.

Wow - North Island looks incredible! Ohh for having the cash to splash on that! :)

A very nice resort in Anilao is by Wetpixel member Solanabezo. Dive Solana Resort was recently upgraded to rather high end status. I used to go there when it was with the original owners, it's now run by one of the daughters of Manila's high society. http://www.divesolana.com/

Anilao is famous for critters, beautiful wide angle reefs if you time Bahura/Sombrero correctly.

I've never been to Aman Pulo but do agree that the Mandala in Boracay is nice, bit far from the beach though, you may want to try Waling Waling. We threw a party there for 30 of our closest friends who tagged along on our honeymoon. Great rooms, cabanas available on the beach and really good food.

Regarding PG, Sabang area is a cesspool, dirty old men looking for young girls, hence my suggestion of staying in Small La Laguna. Less gungy, more family oriented, you'll still get the parade of old guys having breakfast with their young girlfriends but not near as bad as Sabang...the smell is a lot better too! I'd spend 2 weeks in PG and would maybe go to Sabang once to get a reload for my local cel phone. Though I'd rather send the boatman when he's on

Congrats btw, I forgot to add that to my first reply as I got pre-occupied answering your questions.

Stu

Wow - North Island looks incredible! Ohh for having the cash to splash on that! :wacko:

That's what kidneys are for :) Should I also mention Aldabra is super nice?

I've never been to Aman Pulo but do agree that the Mandala in Boracay is nice, bit far from the beach though, you may want to try Waling Waling. We threw a party there for 30 of our closest friends who tagged along on our honeymoon. Great rooms, cabanas available on the beach and really good food.

30 friends tagged along on your honeymoon?!? Yikes

The Mandala is about a 7 minutes walk to White Beach... which isn't the most private beach in the world which is why I like the hilltop scene of Mandala.

Less gungy, more family oriented, you'll still get the parade of old guys having breakfast with their young girlfriends but not near as bad as Sabang...

Well in the philippines there's almost no escape from that bar/sex scene. I saw it at the Aman ( 60+ yr old guy with 2(!) errr consorts) too. Not that there's any wrong with that (I'm covering myself just in case I turn into one of those dirty old men :)) But spa/retreat type places like the Mandala are almost immune since it's holistic and vegetarian. We were there for 4 days and we had to head down to the bars on White Beach, which we did for 1 hr before running back to the resort. And really, after you do the Watsu(if you do go, I strongly recommend that you 2 do it as a couple with Karen, you won't want to leave the villa after that. :)

There's a crappy promo vid done by the same guy on the resort... it's really better than what it looks like. Dunno who the hell hired that guy to do the promo.

However if you want a more private experience, Anthony, I really suggest you look at Fijian islands as we discussed. There's less traffic at the resorts I mentioned and so more privacy. Another alternative is to do both Philippines AND Micronesia. Easy enough to get to Palau/Yap from Manila...then just go to Boracay to detox and reenergize after all the diving. :)

Boracay "to detox"? more like "to retox" with the party scene at the beach there :wacko: if you venture out of the Mandalay... :)

Boracay "to detox"? more like "to retox" with the party scene at the beach there :wacko: if you venture out of the Mandalay... :)

Hey I said I'm NOT a dirty old man .... YET! :)

Congrats Anthony!

Please reconsider Tahiti, you wont regret it. In 2005 we honeymooned for 2 weeks between 3 islands and it is still is THE BEST vacation we ever had. We plan on going back in a few years when our baby is older.

You dont have to stay at the fanciest of hotels to have a great time in Tahiti!

Drew - as always - you have presented a compelling argument! Michaela really loved the look of the Mandala and combining it with something in Palau/Yap could really cover off the diving side of things. I'm not sure what a Watsu is, but will look into it... And that video is just plain wierd btw!!

We are still seriously considering Fiji as you also suggested Drew. Michaela remains a little concerned about the weather - although it sounds like even 'bad' visibility in Fiji is something like 15 m which doesn't sound too bad to me. It also sounds like the rain showers are intermittent and interspersed with sunny skies.

Chris - thanks for your Tahiti recommendation. It really does look like an idyllic location. Only thing is, I want to factor in Michaela's love of luxury. We stayed at Waka Namya in Ubud last which has set the benchmark pretty high and I don't want her feeling like we're not in a beautiful, luxurious and special place on our honeymoon. Also, we were only able to afford Waka because they discounted the price very generously for us.

In Tahiti, the nice overwater bungalows in pretty places like Bora Bora and Moorea seem to start at around $6-700/night min and then food sounds really expensive, plus one or two dives, would mean we could prob only afford 3-4 nights before we'd have to go home. :wacko: We've got the time to stay away for around two weeks, so that would be a bit of a shame.

I'd be absolutely delighted to learn that there are ways around our conundrum re Tahiti, but I can't see it yet.

Drew's Mandala suggestion looks superb and if we can swing something in Micronesia as well that would also be sensational...

Drew, any airline/route recommendations?

We stayed at Waka Namya in Ubud last which has set the benchmark pretty high and I don't want her feeling like we're not in a beautiful, luxurious and special place on our honeymoon.

:wacko: Aww man, you got it backwards! First, you set the bar as LOW as possible, if she marries you, then the only way is UP! :)

Good Luck with your Honeymoon planning! I am sure you will have fun no matter where you guys go.

Edit: BTW when you book anything and everything, make sure you mention you are on honeymoon, usually they have an extra or discount for you.

Edited by ChrisJ

Long and Happy life for both. Cheers!!!

I think 3 weeks is too much time for spend in the same location.

My suggestion is St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

You can jump from island to island, not expensive, beautifil and romantic and fantastic diving.

Take a look in this sites:

http://www.svgtourism.com/

http://www.youngisland.com/

http://www.divestvincent.com/

http://www.frangipanibequia.com/

http://www.bequiadiveadventures.com/

http://www.grenadinesdive.com/

http://www.mustique-island.com/

http://www.scubamom.com/grenadines/mustique/scuba.htm

Congrats,

Tigershark

Well thank you so much to everyone who has helped us out in this decision!

We genuinely appreciate the time you have all spent answering the many questions. And I'm certain (judging by the number of people who've read this thread) that the responses will help many more couples who are facing similar dilemmas.

In the end, it was an airfare sale that tipped our hand. We have decided to go to Fiji.

The Fiji sale airfares were around a quarter of those for pretty much every other destination we were considering which was a pretty compelling argument. :) That will mean we have plenty of money for luxury accom, diving, food and perhaps even some cash for a house deposit down the track. :(

I adore soft corals, which are apparently common in Fiji and Michaela is fascinated by wall/reef diving, so Fiji seemed interesting. From what we have read, even in Fiji low season (when we are going) vis is still 10-15m, which for us is heaps. Also, Michaela is very fond of warm water and Fiji hovers around 30C which is toasty.

We are looking at going to Wananaru and trying to dive the Bligh Waters as recommended by a number of people on WP. We are certainly very interested in other suggestions of locations. In total, we will be away for nearly three weeks which should leave some time for looking around. We have considered Taveuni, but some reports on here have been disparaging.

Finally, thank you to all those who made such interesting suggestions including the most recent of St Vincent, Tahiti and the Philippines. We have by no means forgotten those ideas. We have them high on our wish list for future trips. The criteria for this trip was luxury accom and reasonable diving, but on future trips, we will be more flexible on accom and may be able to afford the more expensive destinations such as Tahiti. :)

Thanks to all and we'll look forward to sharing our experiences from Fiji when we return. Now, if you could all cross your fingers for some good weather for us... ;):D

Sponsors

Advertisements