vincentkneefel

What set of strobes do I learn the most from?

Hi,

I currently own one SB-600 Nikon strobe in a Subal housing (with no controls), so I have been taking all of my pictures on automatic.

Because I want to get better results, I am planning to buy a new (or second hand) set of strobes (or one strobe in addition to the SB-600): not necessarily the best quality ones, but rather a set of strobes that allow me to get a higher learning curve.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gr.

Vincent

Get a matched pair of strobes with many manual power settings (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, full; or more; I think the S&S dx90? has 10 power settings) and a set of diffusers.

Learn proper strobe exposure based on distance, f/stop, electronic "film" speed, and subject reflectivity. You can dial it in using the camera's histograms and your experience looking at the image on the camera's LCD (also, do more in depth analysis at your computer screen).

Strobe positioning (important for limiting backscatter _and_ making the shot look naturally lit), Diffusers can allow you to place the strobes closer to your subject which can add detail, color, and contrast.

After you have strobe exposure worked out, work on balancing strobe and ambient light by adjusting shutter speed. (ambient lit areas: slower = lighter, faster = darker)

Take Care,

ChrisS

I don't think there are many strobes that you can use in CONJUNCTION with your SB600. The only one I know of would be the Inon Z240 and maybe the Sea and Sea YS27...

Cheers

James

Sponsors

Advertisements