Sign in to follow this  
easydiver

Travel Tips -- What Extra Stuff?

So I've just read the post on getting an extra sync cord and want to know what other extra stuff people take on trips. I'm setting up a trip to Christmas Island in April and would like to be prepared.

I've always carried extra o-rings, but I've never had a sync cord problem so it made me think, "What else am I missing?" :wacko:

How about DS-125 batteries and proprietary camera batteries and chargers? I've always had a camera and strobe that used AA and I carried rechargeables and multi spares.

the problems I've seen most often are the following:

- memory card failing (bring extra)

- strobe batteries getting flooded, or a battery cell failing (bring extra)

- sync cord failures/floods (bring extra)

some people bring lots more extra stuff than that, (extra strobes, housings, cameras, arms, etc.) - I'm sure they will supply you with an exhaustive list

hope this helps,

Scott

I carry 2 SS200's , a double strobe cord, three extra single cords.

4 batteries, two chargers, 2 4Gb cards, 2 4Gb Microdrive cards.

A laptop and enough DVDs to burn all the images.

This may seem like alot, but I'm one that also takes an extra mask and bladder for my backplate :wacko:

A spare double synch cord and at least one single cord in case a strobe fails/floods/dies so you can use a single stobe. I also carry spare batteries, spare memory cards and a backup hard drive or some way to back up your images (DVD, photo storage device etc). We also carry a few pieces of spare dive gear, a mask, spare hose, backup flashlight, O-rings. Just in case. Last trip we were on one person had their mask washed overboard by a wave, the boat had a spare that they could use but better to have your own.

HTH

Rinjani

Edited by rinjani

The main thing I think about when I am packing for a trip is: What can I not get on location?

I take one full set of dive gear, but don't take any of my spare stuff that I have when I am diving locally. Any decent dive outfit will have equipment if something of yours happens to break or get lost. Camera equipment on the other hand is harder to come by. So think about the items that if lost or damaged would stop you from photographing. Most of the main items have already been mentioned, but I can add one more critical item. O-ring grease. Yes, no doubt you already have some of it in your kit, but do you have enough. A few extra tubes will never hurt.

Also your budget will impact what you take. Low cost items like o-rings, grease, memory cards, etc. are a must. Mid cost items like sync cords & strobe batteries/charges are nice to have. High cost items like bodies, lenses, housings, or strobes are probably only for pros.

Another must is some sort of backup device. There's nothing worse then returning from a trip and realizing all of your hard earned pics have been deleted accidentally. I use my PMP, as it has the ability to download the pics from my camera, but anything will do (i.e. second memory card, dvds, laptop, etc.)

... The main thing I think about when I am packing for a trip is: What can I not get on location? ...

So true. and almost as important: "What pieces of gear am I fussy about?"

Nowadays I'm more likely to bring an extra mask than an extra torch, and I rarely travel with "off the shelf" batteries.

I'm more baggage weight challenged than space challenged now since I dive with a SS backplate and the airlines have gotten away form reasonable weight restrictions on luggage.

Good news is that I didn't get popped for any overage on my last trip to the Galapagos (even though I was ready to pay).

Even tACA only charged me $26 overage to Lima :wacko:

The main thing I think about when I am packing for a trip is: What can I not get on location?

My father, an experienced diver for 20 years, at one time had a Nikonos (Nik III, if I recall) about a decade ago for a couple years; and I serviced it for him.

My advice: Carry along extra anything that corrodes. Also, carry Q-tips & 91% rubbing alcohol, and pencil erasers to clean electrical contacts.

Make sure your battery charger has the right plug and voltage for your destination hotel or live-aboard. Along these lines, be aware that AA NiMH batteries self-discharge 10-20% every week (more if the batteries have a bunch of charge cycles on them).

Keep one complete set of alkaline batteries still in the pack (Shop-Rite often has 8 AA's or AAA's for 99 cents), in case the charger fails: Oftentimes, electric utilities on small islands get all sorts of transients, frying sensitive equipment. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. :)

Whenever I go on a remote shoot, I always buy a new branded CF card (Lexar or San Disk) from a major retailer [NEVER buy a CF on eBay -- Almost all are counterfeit, according to surveys & tests published a month or two ago in Shutterbug or Pop Photography (I forget which).]

Also, carry a cheapie spare P&S camera: The cost of airfare and accomodations gets thrown out the window if your camera floods/ gets sat on/ gets dropped... on the first day. If you never take the camera out of the sealed box, reputable dealers will take it back in 14 or 30 days.

Also, carry a cheapie spare P&S camera

I forgot about that one. I still take my old sony & housing with me just in case. Plus some times its nice to have the P&S handy for top side.

So I've just read the post on getting an extra sync cord and want to know what other extra stuff people take on trips. I'm setting up a trip to Christmas Island in April and would like to be prepared.

I've always carried extra o-rings, but I've never had a sync cord problem so it made me think, "What else am I missing?" :rolleyes:

How about DS-125 batteries and proprietary camera batteries and chargers? I've always had a camera and strobe that used AA and I carried rechargeables and multi spares.

We just came back from Christmas Island on 15th Nov. We'll be going again in Feb 2008. My bag was weighing 33kg and they were pretty strict about ensuring each bag not weighing more than 30kg.. (cos Uncle Don would break his bag!.. he works part time at the airport.. and was also a tour guide for land tours!!..).

The baggage allowance for divers is 35kg. So its advisable you split up your check in luggage.

Dun forget the adaptor... its the v-shape ones..

I took my wetsuit and DS-125 plus my toiletries bag out and I was 5kg lighter... :P

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements