TostitoBandito

Canon 5D Lockup Issues

Hello. I have had a 5D for a while and recently began using it in an Ikelite housing with a DS125 strobe. So yesterday I got about 10 pictures into a dive and had the camera stop working. It wouldn't take any pictures and the interface was unresponsive (menu, play, and any other button I tried did nothing). I could still change the aperture and shutter speed, but couldn't access any other settings since none of the menus (even the drive/iso buttons) worked. The only other symptoms were that the viewfinder was constantly flashing exposure info and the top LCD was always on (both reflected the correct settings if you changed the aperture/shutter speed, so they weren't frozen completely). Powering the camera and strobe on and off didn't fix the problem. Later I opened it up and reseated the hotshoe connector. The camera and strobe worked fine after that for some strange reason, and I haven't been able to duplicate it.

Has anyone seen behavior like this before using conventional flashes or underwater strobes? If it helps, I was in manual mode and using a Canon 100mm Macro, and have the most recent firmware. Thanks!

TostitoBandito,

Likely a button was stuck in and depressed, causing the camera to "lock" until the button pressure was released. Likely when you removed it from the housing.

Check all your buttons and make sure they are moving freely. You can even press the little spring loaded buttons in as far as possible and lube the shaft with a tiny amount of Ikelite o-ring grease on a toothpick or other non-metal object.

Hope this helps!

dhaas

Hot-shoe not fully connected can also cause that.

Cheers

James

Good point from James, especially with the Ikelite eTTL2 flash circuitry......

If the camera was constantly "looking" for a TTL strobe it might have become confused......

dhaas

Hmmm... A button of some sort being depressed is a possibility I suppose. I went through just about all of them underwater looking for the problem, but could've missed it. I don't think the shoe was partially seated, since the camera worked perfectly for 10 minutes or so on the dive prior to failing, and wasn't jostled or anything like that (and also the camera definitely saw the strobe since the flash indicator was still functioning properly in the VF while the strobe was on). I'll definitely triple check it next time though. Anyways, thanks for the help and hopefully one of these was the cause, because carrying around a non-functional anchor of a camera on a dive is definitely not my idea of fun. :)

Edited by TostitoBandito

You can also have problems if something is pressing against the side of the lens, or the lens isn't fully seated.

Cheers

James

The two most common reasons I've had issues with camera response underwater are:

a) (mentioned by James) the hot-shoe connector not fully pushed forward onto the camera. Usually this throws an Error99 or similar and you aren't able to adjust shutter/aperture...can't do anything about it until back on the boat, and

b) DOF-Preview button (on the front-left of the housing) depressed - none of the menus will work, AF doesn't operate, and no display will show up, but you can still adjust shutter/aperture. Easy fix - rotate the housing control pressing the button.

Good luck figuring it all out.

DOF-Preview button (on the front-left of the housing) depressed - none of the menus will work, AF doesn't operate, and no display will show up, but you can still adjust shutter/aperture. Easy fix - rotate the housing control pressing the button.

DOF-preview get's my vote. I would never have thought of it from TostitoBandito's description, but when you bring it up I had a duh moment...It fitst the description perfectly. :)

TostitoBandito, did you look through the viewfinder when the camera was locked up. If it was infact DOF-preview, the viewfinder would be black/very dark.

DOF-preview get's my vote. I would never have thought of it from TostitoBandito's description, but when you bring it up I had a duh moment...It fitst the description perfectly. :)

TostitoBandito, did you look through the viewfinder when the camera was locked up. If it was infact DOF-preview, the viewfinder would be black/very dark.

Oh, I bet that was it; it fits perfectly. Yes the VF was dark so I'm almost certain that was it. Just like you, it never occurred to me. Well, I know what to check next time. Too bad I missed out on some great octo and wolf eel shots though. ;)

Sponsors

Advertisements