Sign in to follow this  
james

Which 1TB Drive?

Hi Guys,

I want to get a couple of 1TB drives but not sure what the differences are. My motherboard uses SATA

So - here are the choices at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....00GB+and+higher

Don't know how long that link will work as it's probably dynamic...

What's the deal w/ the Hitachi drives? They are all 3gb/s 32 meg buffer, 7200rpm drives, so why all the different models?

Thanks

James

The first 3 Hitachi drives have the same factory part number.

The 4th is different. It's aimed at Enterprise server farms.

Take Care,

ChrisS

Hi Guys,

I want to get a couple of 1TB drives but not sure what the differences are. My motherboard uses SATA

So - here are the choices at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....00GB+and+higher

Don't know how long that link will work as it's probably dynamic...

What's the deal w/ the Hitachi drives? They are all 3gb/s 32 meg buffer, 7200rpm drives, so why all the different models?

Thanks

James

FWIW, I started purchasing some of the 1 Terrabyte drives. Bought a pair of the Seagates 1 Terrabyte 32 Meg Cache and a pair of 1 Terrabyte Western Digitals with 16 Meg Cache for use in Raid 1 set ups. So far so good, they have been chugging along for days now.

They have not been exceptionally hot (I also take one drive from time to time to place in a SilverSata I to move, work on then stick back in to rebuild backup). I had been shying away because they are so relatively new, and I am always a bit suspect for awhile :)

For bang for the buck (depending on your needs) the 750 Gigs have dropped and have been very solid for me (no failures). I usually use Seagates now, but Hitachis have also been solid for me.

The first Hitachi is an OEM, meaning no box/cables, just the HD. I would buy this one, since I have a whole lot of SATA cables.

The WD is only 16mb Cache, but it is a great price for a 1TB drive.

I use Lacie Two Bigs and love them - have three 1TB SATA drives and never had a problem with any of them. Price dropped mid last year almost in half. I think B and H has them for around $400 now?

Also on a Mac.......

I use Lacie Two Bigs and love them - have three 1TB SATA drives and never had a problem with any of them. Price dropped mid last year almost in half. I think B and H has them for around $400 now?

Also on a Mac.......

FWIW you can get the Western Digital bare drives for $250-$260. (Unless you meant the enclosure?) I have used the Siler Sata II (Wiebetech) which is nice also RAID 0 or 1 and pop one into a Silver Sata I when I want to port the data around (when in RAID 1) and pop that drive back in to get the other one up to speed.

It is amazing how quickly 1 Terrabyte drives can get filled up. Consoildating old drives right now :)

Thanks guys - I'm looking for OEM bare SATA drives.

I'll pull out the 2 500gig Seagates I have now AFTER I get the new drives - then we can talk about an external RAID enclosure :-)

Cheers

James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements