Does the S&S YS-110 provide TTL through a fiber optic conection like the INON Z-240? Are there other strobes that have this capability similar to the Z-240?

Yes, the YS-110's have both connections. Hard wired 5-pin synch cable connection and Fiber Optic. The Inon Z-240's also have these options. Not sure about Ike strobes though.

You might want to contact Ryan @ ReefPhoto.

I think from memory that they were having trouble with the TTL in the YS110's.

Just a thought,

Bruce

I would second what Bruce has said, test results have been less than stellar.

Phil

Bruce and Phil, are you speaking of Fiber Optic TTL in the YS-110's? I have mine wired with a synch cable and S&S TTL III. No problems at all! Maybe there are problems using a TTL II, but the new TTL III is great so far.

Alas, there is a problem, which is making most of the YS-110s fail to work in optical TTL mode in most cases.

Reputable vendors will not sell them as such.

The Inon's work great. As does the Heinrich's digital adapter, hookup up to any preflash capable strobe, such as an ikelite DS...

Edited by derway

Alas, there is a problem, which is making most of the YS-110s fail to work in optical TTL mode in most cases.

Reputable vendors will not sell them as such.

The Inon's work great. As does the Heinrich's digital adapter, hookup up to any preflash capable strobe, such as an ikelite DS...

Does the new YS-110a have the same problems with optical TTL as the YS-110?

For reliable optical TTL it has to be a Z-240...

Does the new YS-110a have the same problems with optical TTL as the YS-110?

Hey rwe,

The S&S YS110alpha is the replacement for the YS110.

It is supposed to be only the optical TTL that has been updated,

although I haven't seen any results filtering through yet. . . .

HTH,

Bruce...

I have the YS110's - frankly bought them because I received a great price with a bundle including a S&S housing for my 40D. I use them with sync cords with my 40D (just bought the Canon TTL 3 converter, but haven't used it much yet). One thing to note - the y-cord doesn't work with the TTL converter (in ttl mode, you can use it in manual). The 110's work very well in manual - good battery life, reasonable recycle time. I wish they were a little more powerful for WA. I also used them for several dives with a Fuji F810 with a fiber optic trigger. I shot manual with the Fuji, but had absolutely no issues with reliable triggering, and they have plenty of adjustability for manual power leveles. Played with the fiber optical TTL above water - wasn't impressed; so didn't even mess with it underwater.

Hindsight 20/20 - I'd probably buy the Z240's. Have several friends that shoot them - even though a little more expensive, I think they are an overall better strobe; and definitely more powerful for wide angle or even really slow f/# macro. And given strobes are the one thing that don't go obsolete every 12 months, that's where I'd buy what I really want. I saved $ 350 for a pair of 110's vs a pair of 240's - wish I had gone ahead and spent the money for the 240's (BTW - the Inon's work with the S&S TTL converters).

Edited by bversteegh

Hey rwe,

The S&S YS110alpha is the replacement for the YS110.

It is supposed to be only the optical TTL that has been updated,

although I haven't seen any results filtering through yet. . . .

HTH,

Bruce...

I have two YS110s that I've used with my Nexus D80 with HW converter board with no problems doing TTL at all. Just recently, I tried using them with an Oly 7070 in an Oly housing and fiber optic cables. The TTL functionality was sporatic, at best. Often one but not both strobes fired, sometimes they fired on pre-flash, sometimes did a full discharge. Clearly the issue is with the optically-triggered function.

Does anyone know if Sea&Sea have any policy on the return of these strobes for the newer, hopefully improved, YS110 alpha?

I tried Optical TTL with my YS-110 and Canon G9 - it was extremely unreliable. Fortunately, I had heard this before I had bought it ...

I shot it with no complaints in manual with an electrical sync cord and in manual as an optical slave.

I tried Optical TTL with my YS-110 and Canon G9 - it was extremely unreliable. Fortunately, I had heard this before I had bought it ...

I shot it with no complaints in manual with an electrical sync cord and in manual as an optical slave.

On the Reef Photo Website, Ryan is suggesting that the RDX housing will run TTL with the YS 110a in optical mode, so I am guessing that they must be working better or he wouldn't be recommending it.

Bill

YS-110a is indeed a very good performer when fired optically. I've used it in DS-TTL mode with D700, D300, 50D, and G10 with excellent results. It is as good as Inon's S-TTL.

Older YS-110 had lots of issues, but they have been resovled (thankfully!).

YS-110a is indeed a very good performer when fired optically. I've used it in DS-TTL mode with D700, D300, 50D, and G10 with excellent results. It is as good as Inon's S-TTL.

Older YS-110 had lots of issues, but they have been resovled (thankfully!).

Hey Ryan, what housing were you doing optical with the D700 ?

Sponsors

Advertisements