derway

tray and handle options - for DSLR and digicam housings

So, there is a great thread pinned here, about strobe arm lengths.

But not much about trays and handles. So lets start one.

I have had only ikelite so far, of various generations back to the film slr days.

But with the quick release handles, I'm not so thrilled. Sure it's nice to be able to attach and release them, but sure not critical. And the different metals - alu tubes, chromed brass, and spring steel, can't be good.

My dual handle tray, that is 5 years old, (but only 3-4 weeks diving each year), is just about shot.

So, what are the options?

What housings does this ULCS tray fit:

http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=p...products_id=425

Does it fit ikelite DSLRs and well as digicam housings?

How wide is the tray?

How wide and narrow can the handles be set?

Or do you all just use ikelite trays & handles, with ikelite housings?

What other tray/handle options are out there?

Thanks.

I'd also be interested in this Don.

The Ikelite handles are quite heavy on their own and I suspect with a lighter handle, my D200 housing may actually be pretty close to neutral with the 8" and only slightly negative with a macro.

Has anyone actually tried the ULCS tray that Don mentions on an Ikelite DSLR housing?

Yes - ULCS really do need to update their website!

You go Don! :)

I have a bonica dual arm tray that I bought with my old P&S. I've carried it along to my compact E=410 housing and it barely has enough room on each side but works well. Its composite so it feels kind of flimsy but I have over 50 dives on it with dual strobes with no issues. The cost of the entire tray was around $90. It has the TLC arms on it with a Z-240 on one and a housed oly flash on the other. Other than having to loctite the ball adapters in place its worked well.

Some sizes for ULCS trays now.

The ULCS TR-IK medium tray is 10.5 inches in total length. So is only good for single handle on digicam size housings.

There is a TR-UP, extension for the medium tray. But it results in a 2 level tray. What is the point? Seems pointlessly complicated and corrosion prone, for a small vertical offset. Is there any good side to it?

For both TR-IK and TR-UP together is $80.

The TR-SBLD is also $80, and is 14.5 inches wide, so suitable for SLR sized housings.

The standard ike double handle tray for digicams is 12 inches wide, and certainly could not be any shorter.

I dunno, the large ULCS tray on my housing would only stick out an extra 1.25 inches on either end. And would be so much sturdier, than the quick release, I expect.

Sponsors

Advertisements