Lionfish43

Gear for super macro

I've never been a real big macro enthusiast but I'm going to Bonaire next month and I'd like to get my feet wet with super macro. I've read some of the previous threads but it seems that some of the info is out of date as far as the equipment that's currently available.

I intend to use my Nkon 105mm (old style non-VR) with a teleconverter and a diopter...I think. The problem is that the Nikon T Diopters no longer seem to be available. I've been searching various websites and it seems that there is a Canon 250D close-up lens that's a +4 diopter available in 52mm. Has anyone used this diopter in combination with a 2X teleconverter.

I'm assuming the Kenko 2x Pro 300 is the way to go for the teleconverter.

I'd like to hear from othes who have been down this road recently or have an opinion.

Larry,

I have the older Nikon No1 and No2 diopters for the 105AF-D if you want them. I have no use for them any more. They are the single element ones.

Cheers

James

Larry,

I have the older Nikon No1 and No2 diopters for the 105AF-D if you want them. I have no use for them any more. They are the single element ones.

Cheers

James

That sounds great, how much do you want for them?

I have no idea. Wasn't I supposed to send you some Aquatica gears and rings too? I have a bunch that I'm not using. Send me a PM Larry.

Cheers

James

I'm not sure if the single element diopters are that great. I tried cheap ones with a standard lens (f1.8 50mm) for aquarium shots. They distort quite a bit for full shots of a fish around 8-9 cm in size. But that could be much better at small subject distances.

The 250D is indeed available for 52mm, the 500D (+2) is not. I bought them both to use on my soon to be arriving 100mm macro. In case size is an issue, the manual says the 52mm one will be 0,4 inch (10,2mm) long and will be 55 grams (1,9 oz)

52 mm close up lenses available @ B & H :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...on=Submit+Query

J Malo

I've never been a real big macro enthusiast but I'm going to Bonaire next month and I'd like to get my feet wet with super macro. I've read some of the previous threads but it seems that some of the info is out of date as far as the equipment that's currently available.

I intend to use my Nkon 105mm (old style non-VR) with a teleconverter and a diopter...I think. The problem is that the Nikon T Diopters no longer seem to be available. I've been searching various websites and it seems that there is a Canon 250D close-up lens that's a +4 diopter available in 52mm. Has anyone used this diopter in combination with a 2X teleconverter.

I'm assuming the Kenko 2x Pro 300 is the way to go for the teleconverter.

I'd like to hear from othes who have been down this road recently or have an opinion.

The 2xTC+250D diopter is going to be a very strong combination - just to make sure you're aware of this :blush:.

Agreed,

While the combination of a 2xTC and a diopter is capable of mind-blowing effects, be aware that microphotography is very difficult. AF will be impossible and it will be difficult to hold the camera steady. DOF and FOV will be very thin so camera stability is a 3D problem. If you haven't shot much macro then practicing topside before you go under is a good idea.

On a DX sensor, 1:1 with a long macro lens is quite impressive by itself. After you master the 105mm, starting with either the TC or the diopter (but not both at once) is also a good idea.

With all due respect to James, the Nikon 1T and 2T diopters are not the ones you want. These are single element diopters and they produce a lot of CA and distortion. I purchased these by mistake. Ayone who wants then can have them both for $20 + shipping.

The ones you want are the dual element style, Nikon 3T/4T or Canon 250d. These are all available on ebay and the 3/4T diopters are much more available than the 6T (which is 62mm size and fits the new 105VR lens). I finally found one locally on craigslist. You can still get the 3T at Amazon Here

See the pinned topic onGetting more than 1:1 from Macro Lenses . The info there is basic physics that hasn't changed since the film days--it never will be outdated.

Edited by UWphotoNewbie

Hi Larry,

The best luck I've had with super macro and my 10D was my Tamron 90mm, a 1.4 Tamron/Kenko Pro TC, a +2 diopter in housing and 1 Woody's....using autofocus The problem with an in-housing diopter is that it really kills your working distance. Whereas stacked externals work very well...no great loss of sharpness either. It helps with getting full frame pygmy seahorse images. Having the +2 & 4 severely limits what you can shoot on the dive though.

In the old UW-Photo newsgroups, someone used the Tamron with the 2x Tamron TC, +4 internal and a Woody's diopter on film and got slightly better than 2:1, so with your D2x, if you used a similar combo then you'd be getting near 3:1 due to the crop.

I'll be testing out my new combo of Canon 100 macro, same TC, and stacked Woody's this January in Puerto Galera with my 40D....using AF! :blush:

Stu

No offense taken William - I was offering to basically give my diopters to Larry if he wants them - but I think he found something locally. I do take slight offense to your calling them crap then trying to sell yours for $20 though... :-)

In any case, the 500D is a +2 diopter which is available and also affordable. Couple that w/ a 2x Tamron/Kenko Pro TC and he should be golden.

FWIW, diopters w/ air on both sides are stronger. Press on "wet" diopters are more versatile, but not as strong.

Cheers

James

I think the 250D (+4) is too strong for most to use as an internal diopter. The 500D (+2) is more managable. You can always use a wet diopter with greater strength since it's removable underwater.

I also believe that most would be happier with a 105 + 1.4x tele on a DX sensor. The 105 + 2x + crop combination is a real bear. I couldn't imagine using that with an internal +4 diopter unless I was going for something very specific. A 105 + 1.4x + 500D should get you down to 14-15mm frame width. If you know you need smaller than that then you already know all this anyway. :-)

I have shot quite a bit of macro in Bonaire. The most interesting stuff is small critters that won't let you get very close to them. I am talking about blennies that pop out of a hole and pipe fish that are very good at hiding in coral plus the usual collection of blennies and gobies that populate the shallows.

I have the 105 VR plus a wet diopter and I find that I rarely use the diopter because 1)I can't get that close and 2)The DOF is too short to focus on moving critters.

post-1589-1198006187_thumb.jpg

post-1589-1198006293_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot of a whip coral shrimp using the 10D, Tamron SP 90mm Macro and Dual stacked Woody's diopters using Autofocus. Un-cropped.

whip.jpg

In 2 weeks, I hope to have shots with the 40D, 100 Macro, 1.4TC AND dual stacked Woody's. :blush:

Stu

Great shot Stu.....but Bonaire macro is more fish

Super macro does take a bit of practise - especially with that narrow DOF and FOV. I've been considering going teleconverter as well at some point, but in the meantime, I've been using a +2 single element diopter with some decent results with my 105. The TC would mean, of course, getting the proper port extension as well, so the dry diopter was somewhat easier to do initially.

blackbeards-2007-12.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements