Grease on “O†rings allows them to move so important stuff, but which grease?

Ordinary diving “O†rings use silicone grease, great a standard. My Sea & Sea blue “O†rings use a non silicone grease as the “O†rings are silicone based and the wrong grease is said to cause them to swell destroying their functionality. My Nexus housing has black “O†rings which look like standard nitrile but comes with a white Anthis grease. The Inon flash yet another grease on a yellow “O†ring.

So I carry 4 different greases, just a bit of a nuisance. On location replacement “appropriately labeled†grease might not be available. It would be very useful to know which sets of equipment can use the more standard silicone grease, which can use other makes. :excl:

The grease is only an assembly lubrication and does not help with sealing. I have found the silicone compatible greases to work fine with butyl and neoprene O rings.

It may not "help with sealing" but if you use the wrong one, doesn't it possibly hurt the seal by making the o-ring swell, stretch, shrink or deteriorate?

Indeed, florosilicone grease must be used on silicone O rings but I have been using it for a long time with everything. I do not believe it harms the older nitrile-butadiene or buna O rings.

Maybe someone else will put me right.

If it helps, I have used Ikelite, Sea&sea and Seakodive grease on my Ikelite black O ring and have had problems so far.

Spen

If it helps, I have used Ikelite, Sea&sea and Seakodive grease on my Ikelite black O ring and have had problems so far.

Spen

Do you mean that Spen or is it supposed to read "no problems".

oops typo - I meant to say "no problems" - soz was late and I was tired.

Spen

Indeed, florosilicone grease must be used on silicone O rings but I have been using it for a long time with everything. I do not believe it harms the older nitrile-butadiene or buna O rings.

Maybe someone else will put me right.

Having one more "universal" grease would be good, if florosilicone can do it would like to hear of any negative points to it. Are most of the coloured "O" rings likely to be silicone rubbers needing this type of grease?

Charles

Molykote FS1292 from Dow Corning is good for all o-rings, as far as I know. I have used it on both Sea & Sea (blue) and Inon (Yellow) silicone o-rings, as well as nitrile and other o-rings for some time without problems. It's expensive, but a tube is the size of a toothpaste tube and lasts for ages (and makes a good gift to dive pros at the end of a trip).

Tim

B)

Change ALL your o-rings to buna/nitrile (the black ones) & use a good quality silicone grease as needed. There is not a good engineering based reason to use colored o-rings. (If you have a red/orange o-ring - silicone based - no grease required. Just spit on it.) Don't over grease. Don't play with your o-rings unless required to properly clean them. This means don't remove them just for something to do. Life is much easier this way.

Edited by jcclink

As for changing all O rings to buna/nitrile (the black ones) my understanding, which may have been influenced by hype from equipment manufactures, is that the grooves they sit in are engineered for specific harnesses, i.e. how much they squash, so not good practice to change. Is this all just hype? Just wish manufactures would design for buna/nitrile. I sometimes avoid buying S&S because I don't like their o-rings.

Certainly don't over grease, but depending on what the water is like that I'm diving in checking the o-ring and its grove certainly shows up enough muck that I want to clean them (no I don't over grease) other times not. As for the silicone o-rings not needing grease I think they can become dry enough they won't easily move when reasemblying so need the lubricant.

Charles

O-ring groove dimensions are dictated by the size of the o-ring (OD & ID) & not dependent on hardness. O-rings are normally available in 50 & 70 durometer (hardness), 70 is standard, 50 is softer. The important thing in changing o-ring material is making 100% sure that you use the same size. US standard sizes are different than Japanese for example. Most of our system o-rings are probably metric. Don't use a size that is "close" to the original. I've been using S&S strobes for several years. The first thing I did with them was to change their blue o-ring for buna, 70 durometer. No problems. Just bought new S&S 100's yesterday - today I'm changing the o-rings. Also using buna on their sync cords. Silicone (red) o-rings do need lubricant for assembly but this does not have to be grease. Spit is also a good lubricant for this. Some owners manuals tell you not to grease this type of o-ring.

Edited by jcclink

Can anyone say what grease to use on the little black o-ring in a Suunto computer watch? I have Sea & Sea grease for their blue ones and Canon grease for their yellow ones ...

Thanks in advance!

Plain old silicone grease. The o-ring is really small cross section so handle with care.

Plain old silicone grease. The o-ring is really small cross section so handle with care.

Thanks for the advice. It was pretty dry and case was pretty hard to open, but I think I managed to get it all done without damaging the o-ring or the plastic cover. Once greased and replaced on the cover it seems to provide a nice seal ... we'll see!

Thanks for the advice. It was pretty dry and case was pretty hard to open, but I think I managed to get it all done without damaging the o-ring or the plastic cover. Once greased and replaced on the cover it seems to provide a nice seal ... we'll see!

my replacement batteries come with a new o-ring... it would really pi$$ me off if i was away in a far off place and have my computer flood for the sake of a few pennies.... just my 2p worth of course

.... and as for o-ring grease, if it's just a compression fit then run the o-ring through yer mouth... spit is a wonderful thing B)

my replacement batteries come with a new o-ring... it would really pi$$ me off if i was away in a far off place and have my computer flood for the sake of a few pennies.... just my 2p worth of course

.... and as for o-ring grease, if it's just a compression fit then run the o-ring through yer mouth... spit is a wonderful thing B)

Thanks ... I wanted to do just that and I wish I could have found a new o-ring and cover before I took off, but not a single shop in Manhattan that I called had them in stock ... it was my fault for waiting until the very last minute, but I was surprised that places that carried Suunto computers didn't have the replacement kits.

Fortunately, it has held up just fine over the first three days of diving (*knock*). To be safe, I put some gorilla tape over the back to help keep the water (and sand) out ... when I opened it last week to replace the battery, there were a few grains of sand wedge into the back cover. I opened it up tonight to take a peek and all seemed well.

Phew!

It's interesting that nearly every time a thread is posted about o-ring grease, it gets a huge response. I recall Jim Church once telling me that fights have started over o-ring grease debates. Too funny.

Joe

Sponsors

Advertisements