JoelD

Ikelite D300 dry-review

Just received my Ike D300 Housing. I have owned several digcam and DSLR housings from Ikelite and I really think they've upped their standard quite a bit.

Things I've noticed upon opening the box that are great improvements, I hope that I'm not beating a dead horse and they started doing this stuff last year, if so ignore my ramblings...

• Port Cover for when there isn't a port on it.
  • Spare Housing Control Tips, not that I ever lost/wore out one on previous housings.
  • Quickstart guide, yeah they aren't for everyone, but there is some basic info in there that I can see a novice benefiting from.
  • Thumbscrew instead of a flatblade(penny) screw. I know they made this upgrade close to a year ago, but it is still worth mentioning. I can actually get my fat fingers on it and mount the camera by hand.
  • Smaller dials on some of the controls, I would be real happy with these on all controls...
  • The function button and DOF preview can both be accessed. Not that I ever use DOF preview or the function button.
  • Access to the CF Card Door control from inside the housing.

• The TTL Controller box is routed into the back of the housing. I always feared snapping it of when the backplate was out of the housing.
  • The Sync Cord is routed into the back of the housing from the TTL controller to the top of the viewfinder.

• Bulkhead is aimed at 10 O'clock keep it from wear by diveguides.
  • All camera functions can be accessed, including the focus selector on the front, incase you leave it in 51 point 3d mode....

I was also happy to see some directions for putting on lenses after the camera is in the housing (large lenses). and a much improved manual I've had a number of students stumped how to do that ask.....

I'll attach some images of the routed box/cord, I hadn't seen/heard of this yet and it impressed me. Maybe I'm just behind the times....

post-1860-1198800677_thumb.jpg

Controller in the backplate and channeled cord

post-1860-1198800708_thumb.jpg

port cap.

Thanks for the review Joel - very interesting. I like the idea of the port cap. Should save some dust getting inside the housing. Look forward to hearing how you go when you get it wet. Would also be interested to hear about buoyancy with various port/arm configurations. Thanks again.

Just received my Ike D300 Housing. I have owned several digcam and DSLR housings from Ikelite and I really think they've upped their standard quite a bit.

Things I've noticed upon opening the box that are great improvements, I hope that I'm not beating a dead horse and they started doing this stuff last year, if so ignore my ramblings...

[*]The TTL Controller box is routed into the back of the housing. I always feared snapping it of when the backplate was out of the housing.

That looks pretty slick. Is the TTL unit water proof or sealed in any way? If it was capable of surviving a flood or leak of the housing that would be amazing. Perhaps too much to ask for.

Any way, I have had my D300 for a few weeks now and have the Ikelite housing on order. Looking forwad to diving it soon! My trusty D70 seems so primitive and limiting by comparison all of a sudden!

Dave

That looks pretty slick. Is the TTL unit water proof or sealed in any way? If it was capable of surviving a flood or leak of the housing that would be amazing. Perhaps too much to ask for.

Dave

No, the TTL unit is not waterproof in and of itself. Had a person flood his Ike D200 housing on my last trip to Indonesia. TTL converter was fried. However, I was able to open it up, toss out the circuit board and solder up a manual connection for him so he could finish the trip.

Mike

No, the TTL unit is not waterproof in and of itself. Had a person flood his Ike D200 housing on my last trip to Indonesia. TTL converter was fried. However, I was able to open it up, toss out the circuit board and solder up a manual connection for him so he could finish the trip.

Mike

I just picked up my Ikelite D-300 housing today! Unfortunately it came in one day too late for me to bring it to Kauai for my holiday dive trip. Hopefully I'll be able to take it out for a spin this weekend.

I took a quick look after picking it up and it seems very slick. A very nice set of small improvments over the D-70 model.

I did take about 1000 above water photos over the holidays with the D-300 and I am really loving this camera. Now I have to talk myself into buying a second D-300 body for backup...

Dave

Edited by davehicks

I hope to be ordering my D300 Ikelite housing in the next week or so. Just waiting to see what happens with the US$/AU$ exchange rate.

Sponsors

Advertisements