Sign in to follow this  
jeremypayne

Fantasea Nano Focus Light

Quick question about the auto-off function in these new ultra compact LED focus lights ... ordered one, but it has yet to arrive so I can't test this out ...

These new focus lights automatically turn off when they sense the pre-flash - cool and all, but what happens when you are in manual mode and there is no pre-flash?

I assume the Nano cuts out when it sense the flash ... if the flash is "1st curtain" will the Nano still turn off in time to avoid creating hot spots when there is no pre-flash?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Quick question about the auto-off function in these new ultra compact LED focus lights ... ordered one, but it has yet to arrive so I can't test this out ...

These new focus lights automatically turn off when they sense the pre-flash - cool and all, but what happens when you are in manual mode and there is no pre-flash?

I assume the Nano cuts out when it sense the flash ... if the flash is "1st curtain" will the Nano still turn off in time to avoid creating hot spots when there is no pre-flash?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

jeremy

I haven't tried one of the Nano units BUT no question that LEDs are capable of being triggered by the flash to turn on and off with almost no delay.

A quick way to test the unit is to take a picture with the rig in a mirror. Then look at the picture you've just taken.

If you see the Nano on while the Strobe is on then it isn't turning off or isn't turning off quickly enough. Although with a powerful strobe it might not matter-- the strobe will overpower any "hot spot" of the Nano, I would not be very happy with that performance anyway.

Let us know how you make out.

Art99

Hi guys,

I have one of these and although I am not sure of the technology, it does not appear lit in the mirror! (when I shoot a picture!!)

I am shooting in manual, so there are no pre-flashes.

I find the light really good, even in quite murky water.

All the best

Adam

Hi guys,

I have one of these and although I am not sure of the technology, it does not appear lit in the mirror! (when I shoot a picture!!)

I am shooting in manual, so there are no pre-flashes.

I find the light really good, even in quite murky water.

All the best

Adam

Adam

Neat! It shouldn't matter whether you shoot manual or TTL with preflash.

Art99

Just got it ... it shuts off perfectly with or without pre-flash.

Nice little light.

Hi guys, can you tell me how you mount & connect your Nano focus lights into your set-up?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

From reading your posts/queries, you might want to do a little

search through the recent posts about the focus light that you are looking into... :)

There has been plenty of negative publicity on this forum about its ability

to keep the H2O on the outside... :D

HTH,

Bruce... :)

Fantasea Mount

I used epoxy to stick a mount on my case. Worked great.

Hi guys, can you tell me how you mount & connect your Nano focus lights into your set-up?

Thanks,

Mark

If you have standard 1" type ball arms, you can also replace a joint closest to the tray handles with a 3-way clamp:

http://www.fantasea.com/product_details.asp?id=265

...and then use this with the little U-shaped rig that came with the Fantasea Nano....

http://www.fantasea.com/product_details.asp?id=250

That's what I've gotten. Haven't been wet with any of the above yet though...

Hi Mark,

From reading your posts/queries, you might want to do a little

search through the recent posts about the focus light that you are looking into... unsure.gif

There has been plenty of negative publicity on this forum about its ability

to keep the H2O on the outside... sad.gif

Can you point me to one such post? I just did a search and could only find complaints about the Fisheye FIX leaking, not the Fantasea Nano. Unless they're the 'same' thing rebranded, and I didn't know that? :)

Edited by rtrski

I use this on a triple clamp to back up my Fix light, particularly in dark BC waters or night dives. It's only been a "problem" for me with the way the bezel works..it is turned off in the opposite direction of every other dive light you (or the dive operation employees) are used to, creating a problem if a helpful employee turns it "off" in the wrong direction and plunges it into the rinse tank, or loosened the bezel, and you don't notice prior to rinsing your own gear. I have used a paint marker and drawn an arrow pointing in the OFF direction with the word "OFF". Seems to work.

<--- OFF

:)

Cheers,

Marli

This is a very popular light. It's small though and better for tropical than the larger LED44 which is what I use in temperate water.

Just be sure you only turn it on about 1/2 a turn, just enough to light it. It works the same way as many other flashlights do, like the maglights.

Jack

Hi,

I take it from the mounts that you guys are using that the Nano light comes with a Sea & Sea-type mounting bracket like the one in the picture of this similar Fantasea light?

http://www.fantasea.com/product_details.asp?id=381

If so, and I wanted to mount a focus light on the hot shoe mount of a PT-E03 housing, would either of these components do the job?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5444...e_Flex_Arm.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4180...1_Long_Arm.html

Are there other brands of similar components that I should look at?

The Epoque item is described as a "Clog Shoe Flex Arm", which is "used to attach the Epoque or Sea & Sea strobe or video light into the accessory shoe on many Epoque and other small housings."

Am I correct in thinking that "clog shoe" and "accessory shoe" are names for the built-in hot-shoe flash mount on the top of the housing?

I'm sure I've seen a picture of that Olympus bracket on top of an Olymous housing, but I can't find it again. That would imply that the Olympus bracket (and the Epoque bracket, the bottom of which seems to be very similar) can mount on the flash hot-shoe on top of the PT-E03?

There are a few pics on this page that also imply the same.

http://www.epoque-japan.com/e-digitalacc-ESA.htm

Am I right?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Guys,

Me and my wife have 1 each. We have used them for a bit over 1 year now and we really like them.

We have not had any problems whtsoever in keeping them dry (inside). You just need to be careful in switching it on. The On/Off is the screw type. So, just open it until the light comes on. If you open them too much, then they will flood. The Water can only enter trough the O-ring and if you open it too much, then there is no pressure on the O-ring ( Ergo, here comes the water).

They are in that sense not "fool-proof", as any Lamps or Night dive Markers etc etc etc.

Those Hot-shoe types seems to be OK, as long as they have the Sea&Sea dimensions on the lamp side.

I use them with ULCS 3-way Clamp and one of those small Lamp holders with a 1" ball at the end.

/Erik

I just did a search and could only find complaints about the Fisheye FIX leaking, not the Fantasea Nano. Unless they're the 'same' thing rebranded, and I didn't know that? :lol:

They certainly look identical and cost the same.

It takes 1/4 turn to turn it on and 3 1/2 full turns of the head to unseal it, not something you are likely to do by mistake.

I'm convinced there is a problem, maybe the o-ring is a little too thin or the head can flex to easily.

Having said that, mine is still working but I wont be surprised when it dies.

post-1123-1206655309_thumb.jpg

Edited by Panda

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements